• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ouch.

pkmin3033

As the uncreative topic title might suggest, this is a thread about physical pain. What's your threshold for pain? Are you good at strugging off anything shy of having a limb removed, or is a headache enough to have you curled up wishing you were dead? What's the worst physical pain you have ever experienced?

Unfortunately for me, I have a very low pain threshold. Whilst I can deal with mild headaches, anything more than mild utterly ruins my day and leaves me huddled up in the corner whilst I pray that the paracetomol will kick in faster. I'm just not very good at putting up with pain. It incapacitates me completely until it recedes sometimes, and whilst I've experienced stabbing head pains multiple times before - who hasn't? - it never gets any easier, and nor can I get used to it. I either haven't learned how, or I'm a complete wuss. I know it's a mind over matter thing in part, but I can't tell myself it doesn't hurt that much when I'm doubled over wishing I was dead.

The worst pain I ever experienced was when I had scurvy in my left leg when I was about fifteen, which locked it into a half-bent position and made putting even the slightest bit of weight on it agonizing. I couldn't walk without a stick, and climbing the stairs took me about twenty minutes. Not much fun. Although what I'm experiencing now comes quite close - I've got a chill in the nerves near my top left-hand teeth, so if I twitch that side of my face I get knife shards of pain shooting through my entire face. Although that might be because I'm experiencing it right now that it seems so bad...the memory of pain is never really all that bad. Other than the phantom pain I occasionally get in my leg when I'm half-asleep in the early hours of the morning.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I have an average tolerance for pain, but if the time calls for it, I generally have no trouble pushing past it to get something done. That depends on my motivation as well, and I could never get past the emotional pain of doing homework, haha.

The worst pain I've ever felt was either when I fell and almost broke my jaw, or tripping down my parents' wooden stairs and landing on my back. Both experiences weren't fun.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I have a very low tolerance for pain. It's why I'm not a hands-on evil genius type of person and prefer to work with my mind to get things done as opposed to my body. I try my best to have circumstance allow me to throw money at menial labour as I simply can't do it - I'm a lot like my aunt in that regard. Sure, while I'm young I can do it if I have no choice, but as I get older I really hope I won't be looking at the same ****shift jobs that my mother and other relatives are still doing in their old age.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • My tolerance of pain varies at times; I take Tang Soo Do and now that I've finally become a black belt, I've had to enter in routine 'full contact' spars.
    You see before this, before black belt, contact was limited to light touch in sparring.
    Now its full on contact and the pain has made my arms numb (of course its not lethal, fight for your life stuff), but it sure as hell hurts. After you finish, pain is everywhere on my body.

Like said, it varies at times, for example. Headaches? Sometimes it doesn't bother me, other times... it will.

Years
  • I've been lucky enough in my lifetime to not have experienced highly concentrated amounts of pain. I have a very poor perspective on what really injuring myself feels like (my worst incident was putting my arm in a sling in third grade, when I jumped off the playground swing and almost broke it), and I'd seriously like to keep it that way.

Years
  • Just like the user above me, I haven't experienced enough pain to know what my tolerance is. I generally don't get hurt, so I don't know how i react to large amounts of pain.

...Or maybe I do get hurt all the time, but I'm so strong that I can't even feel it. I guess I'll never know.

The time when I was in the most pain was when I had this stomach disease. The doctor thought it was a burst appendix for a minute. Unfortunately it wasn't which meant I had to put up with something that felt like a burst appendix for three days. Yay.

Years
  • I can deal with pain quite well sometimes. I'm a centre half for my football (soccer) team, and I've had quite a few bad knocks, but the worst was spraining my ankle because that killed. Normally I tend to shy away from things that cause pain, but if I need to get something done then I'll just have to embrace the pain. But yeah, I have had a handful of muscle injuries, the tears and strains I get in my leg muscles I can generally handle now. Back muscles, they can hurt.

Years
  • I have like a near-intolerable level of pain, and it often makes me have to take pills to try and calm the pain down. I'm someone who usually gets physically abused by the nightmare that is my brother, plus there's the typical female problems of suffering pain when I have that "leakage". The worst one I think I had was well... not really sure because I get abused so hard, but I think the worst pain I get is when he pulls my hair.

Yukari

I have an extremely high threshold for pain. And lucky me, considering how much I get hurt. For example, I fell down the (Wooden) stairs in our house once and just walked away from it. So, pain really doesn't bother me too much.

The worst pain that I've ever dealt with... That's a tough choice. But it would probably be the time that I sliced my thumb. It wasn't too deep, but it hurt really bad.

Tirion

Lint Magnet
    Years
  • I have a very high pain tolerance, though the thought of physical injury still makes me queasy.

The worst pain I've ever felt is a toss up between two things. The first was when I seriously messed up my lower back in high school. I basically couldn't walk unless I was bent over almost parallel to the ground. Luckily chiropractors are amazing. One big push on my lower back followed by an explosion of cracks, and the pain was instantly gone.

The other, which I'm probably leaning towards as the worst, was during the prep for my second colonoscopy. I started experiencing some pretty bad intestinal stuff in high school, and ending up having a colonoscopy. The first one went fine. No pain in the prep whatsoever.

The second, however, was just last year, and the prep put me through a living hell [Warning--Potentially maybe sorta kinda but maybe not really gross details]. It was like satan himself had lit a fire in my intestines, except there was no way to soothe it, nothing was coming out even though I desperately felt the need to expel it from both ends. I sat there rocking back and forth for about fifteen minutes wondering if I should call 911. Luckily, things finally started moving and it cleared up.

I told the doctor about it and he said it's normal. I call BS, I've never heard of that happening, and it certainly didn't happen the first time.

Actually yeah, that's the worst physical pain I've ever felt, probably because it was coupled with a feeling of utter helplessness.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Tough. I stepped on nails for fun as a kid, even had to dig them out with utility shears. They had to be extra rusty, too or else it wouldn't be too fun. I would suppose I have a higher tolerance than most. When I broke my fingers, it hurt, but it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. I just mainly shrugged off the breaks with mild nods of the head. I fell off the roof head first and was a little dazed but everything functioned fine so there was no need for worry. Also, I've burnt myself so many times with hot coffee that it's more of a 'this feels familiar' than it is a burning feeling.

However, dental work is always a weakness for everyone: "I will never talk" - said no man ever as his teeth were being drilled without anesthetic.

as well as being kicked in the genitals. I think it might be worse for men, but I've seen plenty girls go down to the same attack.

Years
  • I'm pretty good with pain, especially after getting a few tattoos done.
    But I recently tore my ACL in my knee while playing soccer. A guy kicked me full force
    on the side of my knee and my whole bottom half of my lef flew sideways out of the socket.
    So painful!!

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I like to think I have a pretty good threshold for pain. I usually won't complain about pain mostly out of fear of going to a hospital lol. I broke a rib playing roller hockey when I was 13 by getting checked from behind and sliding into the goal post and didn't tell tell my parents about it for a few weeks because I didn't want to go to the hospital.

As for dental pain, it doesn't matter how strong you are. The dentist will strike fear into any man.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • It varies. When it comes to expressing pain, I don't always know how to. However, it really depends on how bad it is too. It's really hard to explain, lol.

Also, don't get me started on dentists...

Years
  • When I was 5 my wrist was broken and it remained untreated for about a week, but I used it like normal. Didn't really faze me

I had kidney stones from the time I was 9-10 and to day, and it was uncomfortable if anything, not overly painful.

When I was about 14 or 15 I was at church for a Super Bowl party and I was walking outside with just my socks on and I stepped on a nail. I noticed it immediately, but my reaction wasn't "Hey that hurts!" it was more like "Hey, I just stepped on something". It really didn't hurt at all.

So from those three experiences, I'd like to say that my pain threshold is fairly high. Granted that's how it was about 5-10+ years ago, and could have changed a lot, but I haven't had any recent experiences with what one would consider painful only had a few scraps and bruises

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I can normally tolerate a moderate amount of pain... but something excessive like toothache or the time when I was recovering from my operation... then I can't.

Back