• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overpowerd trainers

Years
    • Seen today
    In the original Red/Blue, there was a rocket grunt in Mount Moon with a level 16 Raticate that knew hyper fang.

After Misty's gym, there was a really annoying big catcher with a level 20 Butterfree.

Years
  • I can think of 2:

First I would argue the first battle with Mars in Diamond and Pearl. I cannot recall if this fight is different in Platinum, but her team consists of a zubat with toxic and a Purugly at level 16 that is bulky and fast. This is slightly after getting your 1st badge mind you. Purugly has fake out and faint attack, plus an oran berry for slight healing. The moment you challenge it you can get flinched, and evasion boosting or accuracy debuffing won't work thanks to faint attack. This is also making sure things go smoothly because if you're hit with toxic by that zubat and don't have an antidote you're screwed. If you have a shinx then zubat isn't a problem, but if you don't for whatever reason then taking out a zubat shouldn't be a problem. If you started with Chimchar then purugly isn't a problem, otherwise find a strong physical attacker and teach it rock smash.

Second one is mainly for speed running ORAS. I saw a video explaining how in Brawly's gym there's a black belt named Hideki with a single machop that happens to have near perfect IVs (about 26/31 in each stat). He's a mandatory trainer battle too as there is no way to avoid him. He's not OP if you're playing the game like normal, but the video interested me because it explained that his machop having amazing IVs is due to an oversight. It is technically overpowered, but not if you have a team and if you're not a speed runner.

Years
  • Two early trainers from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon comes to mind. The first is Teacher Emily, who uses either Litten, Rowlet or Popplio, depending on your starter. And since she is fight fairly early, during the time I usually don't have any of my planned Pokémon on my team, which means I solo with my starter, this fight ie always annoying. The other one is just few minutes after Emily... and it's the first fight with Ilma. His Smeargle especially cost me so many runs.

There are also quite a few run killers in Kalos. I remember the Rising Star with Axew with Dragon Rage early on, which could one-shot your whole party.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Battle Girl Hedvig in Reflection Cave in X/Y. Carries Throh and Hawlucha, both of which are not too shabby for level 25+26. Gave those Pokemon better coverage than the upcoming Fighting gym: Fighting moves, Bulldoze, Aerial Ace, and Rock Tomb.

Could run into trouble at the double Furfrou battle near Parfum Palace too. Can be tough to break through their Fur Coat and relatively strong stats at level 14 (albeit with 0 IVs). Depends on how much they like Headbutting as well. Stands a good chance of getting flinched versus their 102 base Speed.

Back