• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Arcade [FINISHED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero

I like it.
Years
  • This'll do for now, just wanted some Vestigo colours up at the top of the leaderboards.

Frogger - 15,580
    Spoiler:

Asteroids - 20,580
    Spoiler:

Simon - 19
    Spoiler:

Donkey Kong - 24,750
    Spoiler:

Regarding MAME emulation, personally I'd much prefer to play the original over the most poorly made Donkey Kong flash that must be floating around the internet, but even if the scoring works the same the game itself runs way, way differently. Ignoring the fact that the stages aren't even in the correct order, there's a huge issue with ladders where Mario won't line up with the ladder correctly (the first flame in 75m can even hit you from the opposite ladder if you don't climb down from the very edge of the platform), 50m is much harder to complete as instead of just reaching the top platform you have to perfectly time yourself on both a randomly switching conveyor and between DK's animation because his hitbox will change and cover the ladder up to Pauline (plus the pies don't even work), and 100m's flames will just jump over the small gaps in the platforms which they aren't supposed to be able to do. There's also a lot of little tricks like barrel manipulation, bouncing off walls, and spawning 100m's fires where they can't get you that are impossible to do in the flash game. Minor, but all together they're an unfair advantage for MAME players. I'd have much preferred to just use MAME, but considering it also has the ability to savestate it still wouldn't be fair if everyone was using it.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • There's also a lot of little tricks like barrel manipulation, bouncing off walls, and spawning 100m's fires where they can't get you that are impossible to do in the flash game. Minor, but all together they're an unfair advantage for MAME players.
    The solution to that is 2 leaderboards, one for Flash players and one for MAME players.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Regarding MAME emulation, personally I'd much prefer to play the original over the most poorly made Donkey Kong flash that must be floating around the internet, but even if the scoring works the same the game itself runs way, way differently. Ignoring the fact that the stages aren't even in the correct order, there's a huge issue with ladders where Mario won't line up with the ladder correctly (the first flame in 75m can even hit you from the opposite ladder if you don't climb down from the very edge of the platform), 50m is much harder to complete as instead of just reaching the top platform you have to perfectly time yourself on both a randomly switching conveyor and between DK's animation because his hitbox will change and cover the ladder up to Pauline (plus the pies don't even work), and 100m's flames will just jump over the small gaps in the platforms which they aren't supposed to be able to do. There's also a lot of little tricks like barrel manipulation, bouncing off walls, and spawning 100m's fires where they can't get you that are impossible to do in the flash game. Minor, but all together they're an unfair advantage for MAME players. I'd have much preferred to just use MAME, but considering it also has the ability to savestate it still wouldn't be fair if everyone was using it.

The solution to that is 2 leaderboards, one for Flash players and one for MAME players.

Dunno if that'd be fair either. I can't imagine there being many MAME players, it'd be an easy way to score more points.

So I think we'd be best sticking to the Flash versions of these games at the moment. Browser-based/Flash games have typically worked the best for these events because of user accessibility, and right now I think consistency would be best. I'll reconsider emulation and its place in this in the event for future incarnations. Thank you guys for bringing the topic to my attention! :)

(nice scores btw)

Sparkin

Donkey Kong: I'll be taking the second third spot >:)
    Spoiler:

Simon: Meh
    Spoiler:

Asteroids: Got harder and harder
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • So I think we'd be best sticking to the Flash versions of these games at the moment. Browser-based/Flash games have typically worked the best for these events because of user accessibility, and right now I think consistency would be best. I'll reconsider emulation and its place in this in the event for future incarnations.
    I understand, good to hear that you'll reconsider emulation and its place in this in the event for future incarnations because emulation might be the only option after Flash is gone, Adobe kills Flash at the end of 2020 so there's only 3 years left.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back