• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Picking diffrent Pokemon.

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Hey guys I was wondering if anyone else finds themselfs doing this.

I keep restarting FireRed with the intention of using diffrent Pokemon to what im used to, but I find as I play I end up catching the very Pokemon I was hoping to avoid.
    My usual team is:
    Starter
    Pidgeot
    Primeape
    Raichu
    Poliwrath/Arcanine/Nidoking (two of these take up the last two slots depending on my starter)
    But my point is I am getting sick of using them but can't get out of the habbit of doing just that, does anyone else find they do/did this and any ideas for how to change/stop it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I just pick different Pokemon, sometimes I even ditch my starter to avoid familiarity.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I just pick different Pokemon, sometimes I even ditch my starter to avoid familiarity.

But as I said I start the game with the intention of doing that, but then the next thing I know I am catching them again, I can't seem to just not catch them.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I dont ditch my Swampert because of its unique types, its immune to electric and can do decent damage to flying, and its really versatile, can even stand up to grass types by using ground type moves

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • My LeafGreen teams always had Blastiose, Persian, and Nidoking. However, depending on the playthrough, I might have had...
    Flareon, Zapdos, Mewtwo
    Or...
    Jolteon, Dragonite, Exeggutor.

There are also temp Pokemon who I use for awhile then dump later. These include Butterfree, Hypno, and Electrode.

In Sapphire and Emerald, my in-game teams remained largely the same through multiple playthroughs. Only difference was that sometimes I would have Kyogre as my Water-type and Golduck at other times.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My teams are always the same. I always intend to catch Poliwag on LeafGreen, and Staryu on Emerald, but just lose patience (can't wait on Lg, cba on Emerald).I always end up with these teams:

LeafGreen:
    Starter-Ivysaur (hate Venusaur) or Charizard
    Dragonite
    Aerodactyl
    Snorlax
    Zapdos (can't stand Pikachu, so i use this)
    Gyarados/Slowbro (lol, i use Gyara with Ivysaur, to counteract my slow team, and Slowb with Charizard, to stop my team being too fast).
    Tyranitar (post-E4, when i can be bothered, to replace Aerodactyl)

Emerald:
    Starter-Swampert
    Altaria/Flygon/Salamence (depends how patient i feel)
    Lanturn
    Absol
    HM Slave (Tropius-Fly,Cut,Rock Smash,Strength)
    Wobbuffet (i never get Mirror Coat/Counter right, but he lasts a while against everyone except first 2 E4 members)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • Yeah, I find it more fun to restart a game and use Pokémon I'm unfamiliar with. When I decided to redo Crystal, I picked Drowzee/Hypno and Tauros, both of whom I'd never used, and they ended up winning the game for me. Also, Tauros has given me a new-found respect for Normal-type Pokémon. :3 However, I always like to have a flying type Pokémon on my team and that kinda limits you, so what I did was wait until I could get to Kanto and then caught a Murkrow. I had to do some serious training because she was 20 levels under-trained, but I got there and I love my team now. :3

That being said, every game I play apart from Emerald features either a Nidoking or Nidoqueen. They're not even my favourites, I just find them extremely strong and useful. I also always keep my Starter, and in Emerald I always have a Zigzagoon/Linoone because a) they're powerful with "Headbutt" and "Return" and b) the Pick-Up ability. Although I now have more TM44s than I know what to do with o.o

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Depends how rare the pokemon are on the game
    Fr/Lg
    BLASTIOSE
    PIKACHU
    RHYDON
    FLAREON
    VILEPLUME
    ARTICUNO

Emerald
    SWAMPERT
    MAACRGO
    BELLOSOM
    MAGNETON
    GARDIVOIR
    DUSCLOPS

Galdon

Awesome Guy
    Years
  • I do this in my Platinum. I'm on my Third Run. I picked Floatzel twice because It was THAT awesome, I'm also on my third run of Emerald, which is easier, because I just bring my stuff up to my Platinum :D

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
  • I know what you mean, OP, I often plan to not use the ones I always use, and then it pops up, and, you know, might as well use it while my party isn't full, and before I know it, that Sandshrew or that Nidorino is just part of my team.

If I am really in playing-all-the-time mode, it's easier because I'll progress much faster, but often I only play when I'm on a bus, or before going to bed, so if the game stretches out over a long period of time I get too attached.

Sometimes it helps if I pick only one or two previously-unused pokemon, that way I can get at least some of my favourites in as well. Though, it depends where your faves are, too, I guess.

I actually had the weird inversion of this problem, when I started Platinum. I boxed my starter and traded over a bunch of eggs for a team of pokemon I never used before. This turned out to be highly irritating, because instead of the natural progression of having one or two high-levels to protect new additions to my team, I had a bunch of lowbies and they all just felt annoyingly weak at once.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    I think it depends on the rarity of the game and Pokemon. If the Pokemon is rare it is great.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • In the Kanto games, I usually end up with Dewgong for some reason. I also want to put Nidoking in my team, but never do it...
    I barely play Johto games (and by that I mean ShinyGold)
    Always have a Zigzagoon for PickUp and that's it. Then I'd have Manectric.

A nice way to have a totally random team is to type up 'random integer generator' on google, click the lucky button, change the first box to 6, the second to 1-151, and the last to '1'.
    That'll give you a totally random team and you could take the fully evolved form of that number. If you happen to get a few numbers that aren't on your game, just click the 'again' button and take a few numbers from tat to fill the void. Yeah, pro.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I only do this in my Emerald version, mostly. I usually catch Beautifly.

But in my Leaf Green versions, there are no pokemon which I have on my team most of the time.

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • Last time I started a new game on LeafGreen I made myself catch a Spearow instead of a Pidgey.

Back