• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation 3 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guren

Troll
    Years
    I know I'll for sure be getting the God of War series eventually, since I read the book and really liked it, and my friend says it's one of his favourite franchises. And yeah, thanks for the tips.. but I've never heard of Uncharted O.o

And this will be my very first thing I own made by Sony :D

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    After a lot of thought, I've decided to go for the PS3. With that in mind, I have put together everything that I will purchase this Christmas. The price tag is hefty but I've been saving for several years, so I'll buy one $60 game or two games that add up to that total on top of the ones I plan on buying now. Here's what I've got so far:

PS3 system, extra controller, and USB cable: The extras are for multiplayer...is the USB cable necessary here? (I heard that it's good for charging the second controller.)

Games Include:

- NBA 2K11
    - LittleBigPlanet
    - The Bigs 2
    - GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
    - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    - The Sly Collection
    - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    - Classic PS1 Games

Are there any "must-own" games I should own? I know the second Uncharted is supposed to be great but I want to test the waters with the first one. If shooters grow on me I'll get Metal Gear Solid 4 or a CoD game, but for now those aren't on the table. Just about everything else is though.

One that caught my eye was Gran Turismo 5. There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding the game and a new pre-Christmas release date. The only racing game I've ever played is Mario Kart: Double Dash, but I'm open to a more realistic game. Assuming it's not a stinker, is this a game I should really consider buying?

The other was Read Dead Redemption. From what I can tell, it's the Grand Theft Auto of the West. However, since my favorite part of GTA is goofing around after beating the game, I'm worried that it's not as good for that without cars and similar "exciting" things. If anyone here has played this game, is this fear justified?

Now I have two questions. The first is that we have an HD TV. Do I need any special cables to get the most out of the PS3's immense capabilities with regard to the graphics of games?

My second question is about the new Move thing...I saw that some games are now incorporating Move (and I mean ones that weren't made just with Move in mind). Does this mean that paying the extra $100 might just be necessary? I don't really want Move--Wii Sports is still fun--but I wonder if I might NEED to get it. Do I?

Thanks in advance!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    After a lot of thought, I've decided to go for the PS3. With that in mind, I have put together everything that I will purchase this Christmas. The price tag is hefty but I've been saving for several years, so I'll buy one $60 game or two games that add up to that total on top of the ones I plan on buying now. Here's what I've got so far:

PS3 system, extra controller, and USB cable: The extras are for multiplayer...is the USB cable necessary here? (I heard that it's good for charging the second controller.)

Games Include:

- NBA 2K11
    - LittleBigPlanet
    - The Bigs 2
    - The Sly Collection
    - Classic PS1 Games

Are there any "must-own" games I should own? I know the second Uncharted is supposed to be great but I want to test the waters with the first one. If shooters grow on me I'll get Metal Gear Solid 4 or a CoD game, but for now those aren't on the table. Just about everything else is though.
    I'd definitely suggest Demon's Souls. It's an Action RPG with a lot of atmosphere and fluid combat. The multiplayer component is very interesting and a bit MMO like while still being original, and while it is a very hard game it is rarely unfair. It got a Game Of The Year Edition so it's only $30 for a new copy and the servers are guaranteed to be up until April, and it did get a lot of praise.
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/demons-souls
    However, you'll probably end up hating the first few hours, and if you're more of a casual gamer, the rest of the game as well.

And it's not an exclusive game, but I absolutely loved Nier. It was one of the best games I ever played in almost every aspect, but it did get a lot of hate from many critics, although the general seemed to really like it.
    The only major flaws are the amounts of backtracking and the graphics, but I didn't mind either one. The unique story and great characters were good enough to get me to play through the whole game.
    One that caught my eye was Gran Turismo 5. There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding the game and a new pre-Christmas release date. The only racing game I've ever played is Mario Kart: Double Dash, but I'm open to a more realistic game. Assuming it's not a stinker, is this a game I should really consider buying?
    If realistic games aren't your kind of thing, then it'll probably suck to you regardless of how long it took. But it did take 5 years of development and I think over $60 million to make, so it'd definitely be worth checking out.

Now I have two questions. The first is that we have an HD TV. Do I need any special cables to get the most out of the PS3's immense capabilities with regard to the graphics of games?
    I think you should be fine with an HDMI cable.

My second question is about the new Move thing...I saw that some games are now incorporating Move (and I mean ones that weren't made just with Move in mind). Does this mean that paying the extra $100 might just be necessary? I don't really want Move--Wii Sports is still fun--but I wonder if I might NEED to get it. Do I?

Playstation Move is little more than a peripheral for most games. The library is still pretty small and it's essentially a better version of the Wii, just without the gargantuan library. If motion games are really your thing and you have $100 to spare(I think there is a PS3+Move Bundle though) then go for it, but I'd suggest just skipping it for a while, if not completely. There don't seem to be any killer apps for Move, and the only interesting Move game is Sorcery, which won't be coming out for a while.

Last edited:

Guren

Troll
    Years
    Right now I'm debating as to what I should get when I get my PS3, hopefully sometime this week. Should I get Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops? Some of my friends say they'll stick with MW2, while others say they prefer Black Ops... Opinions?

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years

Games Include:

- NBA 2K11
    - LittleBigPlanet
    - The Bigs 2
    - The Sly Collection
    - Classic PS1 Games

The other was Read Dead Redemption. From what I can tell, it's the Grand Theft Auto of the West. However, since my favorite part of GTA is goofing around after beating the game, I'm worried that it's not as good for that without cars and similar "exciting" things. If anyone here has played this game, is this fear justified?

Thanks in advance!
    Judging by the list of games you put up, I assume you have never owned a next-gen console?

If so, I would recommend either Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Both are very similar in style, but I would personally choose F3 over NV, as there are far less bugs, and it's much cheaper. Make sure you get the GotY version if you get it, though.

I also very much prefer A Crack in Time to Tools of Destruction, but you may want to play them in chronological order.

Red Dead Redemption is actually much more than just Grand Theft Horse. The weapon system is much improved, as is the shooting system. It all actually feels like you are in the west. Also, your fear of nothing to do after you complete the game is completely unjustified. There are many missions to do, gang hideouts to destroy, villages to pillage, challenges to complete, ect. ect.

Also, in my opinion, Uncharted 1 was terrible, and I never completed it. However, Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and the single player rivals any game ever made. I would recommend skipping out on the first one, and going straight for the sequel.

The PS Move is a joke, don't waste your money.

If you're on the edge about GT5, you may want to pick up GT5 Prologue to "test the waters".

StonerMk2

Beginner RMXP User
    Years
    I bought my PS3 almost 3 years ago. It wasn't for games, exclusives or anything like that, it was purely for system reliability. The job i had then did not pay a lot, and we all know the failure rate of the 360, I was not about to spend a bunch of money just for the system to die a couple months down the road. So i opted for the PS3. My 40 gig fat PS3 is still running strong to this day, ive only added a 500 gig hard drive for an extra 80 bucks or so. All in all i have not ever regretted my purchase and still remain a firm fan of the PS3, and have even converted about two dozen friends and family to the PS3 after having their 360's RROD on them.

As far as Move, im waiting to see what they do with it. Honestly i dont see it doing very well, i think they should have just stayed away from that until next gen, get a few years of research and development in, but i guess we'll see. Maybe now with Move we'll see a game ive been waiting years on, Monster Hunter, return to the PS3. One can dream.

I do think both systems have high and low points, but in my opinion the PS3 is a much better system.

Guren

Troll
    Years
    ^MONSTER HUNTER. FOR PS3. THAT... IS WHAT WE ALL NEED. They've made basically their whole series on the PSP, they might as well stick with Sony's console. I wouldn't be fussy if they made ports, either.

And YAY, I got a PS3 yesterday! :D Got Modern Warfare 2; haven't experienced it yet :3

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back