• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PlayStation Classic

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    PlayStation Classic

Sony's Playstation Classic is coming out next week worldwide! It is said it will contain 20 preloaded games, which includes Syphon Filter (yaaaas), Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and others.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-classic/

Does anyone plan to get it?

Also, if anything, what other games should the PS classic include if there was a way to add them?

Years
    If there was a power supply and all games were the NA versions and not a mixture of pal and na versions on top of a lower price, maybe, but as it stands not interested.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'd only get it if they made their entire catalog playable and the games inexpensive.

As it stands I'd probably just buy a regular ps1 console.

I feel the same way, honestly. Two years ago I got the PS2 for Christmas so I can play my classic PS1 games such as Crash and Spyro (before they both came out with remakes, but I was still impressed because I got a PS4 a year later). So, honestly I won't be too invested in the PS1 classic, mainly because of the list of games featured.

It's cheaper to get a used PS1 console anyway, like, $20 cheaper.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    They're following Nintendo's lead in bringing back old consoles with the old games to appeal to adults who were kids back when these systems came out. Trying to cash in on nostalgia from the looks of it. Granted I might break down and do a N64 mini if it comes with the first Smash and OoT and the only reason I'd consider it is that my old N64 is no longer viable(wear and tear man).

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Apparently this is a poorly put-together product, with odd choices for what versions of games they use.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I mean my friend got a PS1 years ago(also got an N64 too...) and the only game on that list that even remotely intrigued me was Twisted Metal. Metal Gear Solid was one of my friend's favorites but Twisted Metal... now that takes me back. Also read in the fine print that you'll need a USB AC adapter to operate it(sold separately unless you have a spare one lying around that meets the criteria). So if you don't have a spare one, tack on that as an additional hidden cost. I'll pass seeing as Twisted Metal is the only game I'd play and I'm not spending over $100 for 1 game.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    The only Platformer on the Playstation Classic is Rayman. (Unless you count Abe's Odyssey) No Crash, Spyro or Croc. I am guessing Crash and Spyro are omitted because of the re-masters but surely they could have put either Croc game on there.

The games list just doesn't interest me. Final Fantasy 7 again and I have no desire to play Metal Gear Solid again.

If this had some solid Platformers and Final Fantasy 8 I may have got this anyway but as it stands hard pass.

Last edited:
    Years
    I mean, the overall direction that Sony is going here is most certainly interesting, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired. The difference being while the SNES classic has very memorable titles, the Playstation Classic... feels more like Sony just slapped on a bunch of retro games that people may or may not have heard of (with the exception of FFVII), and called it a day.

Not interested in getting one myself, but it'd be interesting to see if this flops and what lessons Sony can learn from it.

TY

The only game I really played on the PS1 was Dune 2000 and that was just cause we had a copy of it lying around and I did not have it on PC which I do now.

So not even remotely interested, don't even think the PS1 had too many memorable games at all.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i have a lot of problems with this thing. the mix of na and pal formats is a weird choice. the price point is, i think, ridiculous. two of the biggest playstation series just got remastered on current gen consoles, so that took away from what could have benefited this thing. also surprised there's no croc since spyro and crash didn't make it on bc of their remasters. the m rating on the entire console doesn't help, either. i work retail and i get a lot of people buying the nes and snes classic for their kids to share games they grew up with or give them a cheaper alternative to new consoles -- and not only is it a cheaper alternative, but a good one at that. you're not getting skimped on great content. however because the playstation classic isn't aimed at a large audience range, that's hurting it, i feel.

i listened to a podcast the other day about this and one guy also pointed out that the playstation is a very large mixed bag. you can ask people about classics on the super nintendo or n64 and generally get the same answers. nintendo has its big ips that make it easy to put a console like this together. but the playstation has more genre variety and if you ask people what stands out to them on playstation, you're going to get more varied answers than you would asking about snes or n64. it's hard to bundle all of that up into 20 games on this thing.

these things are not flying off the shelves. you would do better to buy a playstation and your choice of game(s) than the classic. the only thing you are saving money on is like...if you want to play persona, lol.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    None of these retro consoles have caught up to when I started playing video games (N64 for nintendo, PS2 for sony) so I haven't felt any urge to get them at all. I think nostalgia would have to be a HUGE factor for me to drop $100+ on a glorified emulator, so I've been wondering if I might do it for N64, but I just don't see myself ever doing it for Playstation lol.

Playstation's strength has almost always been its third party titles because there are just so many games on their consoles, but that also means that my Playstation experience is probably very different from that of someone else with the same console. I can't speak to PS1, but on PS2 I basically only played JRPGs. But some people would only play action games, others only puzzles, and so on. It's so hard to select a good swath of games that accurately represents what people find nostalgic about your console.

Now with Nintendo it's a little different, because their strengths lie in their first party titles and just about everyone buys the big ones, so it's probably much easier to select games in that regard. Oh, you had a SNES? Well everyone played Mario, Mario Kart, Kirby, Zelda, and so on. You just have to put your big ones on there. Playstation doesn't really have that and most of their third party IPs that had huge games on their console have already given them individual remasters/remakes so their nostalgia factor has already been tapped into. (Plus, Sony has been pretty good about offering digital back catalogs of their games so a lot of the games on the list are games I could buy on PSN for a fraction of the price and enjoy without the hefty Classic price tag.)

I just don't see myself ever buying a PS Classic. Maybe if Nintendo keeps doing them I might go for some of those bc nostalgia, but... even then, I'm happier with an emulator on my computer for most of these. :x

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    I've heard it's basically a flaming dumpster fire of a product, so I'm glad I didn't spend money on one. Apparently you can also load new games on it with just a usb drive, no need to even softmod it. That, and the other issues like pal and NTSC games on it regardless of region and the emulation issues it has are deterring me from ever getting it.

Apparently the SNES Classic does a better job of running PS1 than this thing does so it shows how much this is just Sony trying to cash in on the mini console craze.

Years
    • Seen today
    I have no interest, aside from getting the chance to play Final Fantasy 7 for the first time. Even then, I don't know if it's something I would enjoy.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I have no interest, aside from getting the chance to play Final Fantasy 7 for the first time. Even then, I don't know if it's something I would enjoy.
    imo you're better off playing on a regular emulator for save states and graphics/music mods anyway. :P

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Leaving the list of shipped games aside, whenever I see the price of these things it makes me think: if I where to buy (and build) a retropie I'd need to invest just a little more money, but at least in the process I can play basically anything I want without ever having to buy another classic console again.

That and the Playstation has never been part of my childhood so the nostalgia isn't even there.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Apparently the SNES Classic does a better job of running PS1 than this thing does so it shows how much this is just Sony trying to cash in on the mini console craze.

i'm fuckin crying omg... i shouldn't be surprised. but yeah, it really is sony just going for that cash grab in the wake of seeing how successful the nes and snes classic were and continue to be. i would say that hopefully they've learned so that they don't make the ps2 classic bomb, but like. what need for that is there when ps2 titles keep getting remastered for the ps4. lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2019
    Not buying any of these garbage classic consoles. Nintendo set the 20 game standard and now everyone will copy that. They won't even include all of their own games!

Years
    • Seen today
    imo you're better off playing on a regular emulator for save states and graphics/music mods anyway. :P

I've never had the best experience with emulators. I used them all the time as a kid, but have such bad memories of losing my save files, or not being able to configure the controls properly.

I'm sure they've improved, and I could probably figure them out much better. Although due to my experiences, I now I try to get as close to the real console as possible.

I have nothing against emulators though, and I'll actually consider it for Final Fantasy.

Back