• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Plotter/Plotser/Pantser

Bay

Years
  • Hiya, all! So some days back Palamon did a discussion on Prompts vs. Planning. Today we'll have another discussion on planning, but this time on whether you're a plotter/plotser/pantser. And we'll take it up an extra level with this alignment chart.

Plotter/Plotser/Pantser

Do you fall any of the alignment, or a mixture? For me I'm either natural good (plotter + chronological order) or lawful natural (plotser + basic outline) depending of the story. I do outlines and notes, but sometimes I'll either expand on them or some bulletpoints don't make it to the final cut of the story.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • From this alignment, I'm probably Chaotic Good. I write outlines, but I write nothing in chronological order because I just write what comes to me & write based off my 50 tweet notes. Although, the current arc I'm working in is actually in chronological order except for branch offs.

I like to expand upon the stuff I left for later, hence why I just write whatever comes to me.

But, everything is planned many months in advanced. I know exactly what I have in mind. But, a lot of it needed to wait because it was places that weren't opened up.

Years
  • Oh, 100% Chaotic Evil. I write what ever comes to mind and whenever I feel like it. Afterwards, I tweak it if it's part of some greater continuity. I don't remember most of my own plot points so fans usually have to chime in and remind me if I don't wake up at 3 am with an urge to correct something.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm not entirely sure what these terms mean, but I always have an outline and a likely ending ish, and most of all I usually have very fleshed out characters and might shape the story around them rather than the other way around. I do tend to write/plan parts out of chronological order but not in detail as things can change when I properly write so future parts need to be flexible aside from perhaps key plot points or character interactions I'm sure I want to fit in.

Bay

Years
  • I'm not entirely sure what these terms mean, but I always have an outline and a likely ending ish, and most of all I usually have very fleshed out characters and might shape the story around them rather than the other way around. I do tend to write/plan parts out of chronological order but not in detail as things can change when I properly write so future parts need to be flexible aside from perhaps key plot points or character interactions I'm sure I want to fit in.

Sounds like you're a plotter and chaotic good according to the alignment chart!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Oh I definitely write the same project on multiple platforms (in an extremely chaotic way), but otherwise, I think I lean toward the "true neutral" side of things. I write a lot of random notes, but sticking to a chronological order actually hinders me a lot of the time.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ok tbf i usually keep notes of my stories and worldbuilding on at least three different platforms: iphone notes, googledocs, word docs, sometimes even physical notes

i'm def something chaotic and likely a plotter yeah haha

Years
  • Neutral good according to your chart. My writing process is generally
    1. Have idea
    2. Write an outline
    3. Expand outline to prose

Then, for my professional stuff.

4. Several months of editing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2024
    I am definitely a Plotter, mostly Neutral Good though with some leaning towards the Lawful-side considering the insane amount of notes I tend to write down about the plot and characters before actually writing the first chapter proper. I tend to write in chronological order, but when I on occasion get a really strong visual for what I want a certain scene to feel like I tend to write it down while I still have it in my head.

I don't however like telling people how they write, I know that some people write productively in other ways and just write down whatever comes into their head. I have just learned the hard way that I shouldn't commit to a story if I am unsure if I can finish it, and the best way to that is to have the majority of the outline as well as a good chunk of rough-drafts finished before posting the first chapters.

Back