• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter NEW BETA + EXPANSION

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
  • Hello! I have been playing this game since 2012. It's amazing! Is there a plan to have this work on PokeMMO?
    PokeMMO is a closed source multiplayer client, so no.
    I'm not 100% sure if Aethestode is an actual programmer or not, but even if it was open source, it would still be out of question probably.

ON:
    Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter NEW BETA + EXPANSION

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    Hello everyone.
    I played this hack about over 5 years ago, back then on my pspgo and loved it, but dropped it when I didn't have the time to replay it again with every new update.

today, tried to play this again on my psvita, only to find out that the clock doesn't really work on retroarch.
    It does on the standalone mgba, or at least it does so with the rtc patch, but I kinda hate that emulator and it's clunky interface.
    So I messed around in retroarch until I found the following way to enable the clock in VBA-Next.

This may or may not work on other older, less supported ports of retroarch running vba-next.

First, you need either one Adventure Red rom where you hex edit the game id from BPRE to AXVE. The ID can be found on Hex Adress AC - AF.
    Alternatively, you can just use any normal Pokemon R/S/E rom, but I prefer the edited one for file organization reasons.

Second, you need an unedited Adventure Red rom that patched with endrifts rtc patch.

When opening the Hex-Edited rom in Vitas VBA-Next, it should get stuck on the Bios screen (you know, GAME BOY - Nintendo with the little jingle) I assume, if you don't use a bios file, it'll just get stuck on a black screen, give it a few seconds before you contintue.
    Afterwards, when loading the RTC Patched version (it'll get stuck on black screen for a couple of seconds, give it a moment), the clock will then run as it should in-game. Savestates, soft-resetting and sleep mode work fine and won't break the clock.

Note that while you can use any option (load content, load recent, from favorites list) to start the hex-patched rom, you have to go the long way through load content - start directory - whatever folders you sorted your games in - rtc patched rom file, or you'll be stuck with the 12:00:00 clock again.

I guess the reason this works is that vba-next in general does support rtc functionality, but only for games that actually had rtc functionality in the first place, and it enables or disables it based on game id.
    While I have no idea why hex-editing the game id makes the game get stuck, I guess it's enough to kick vba into rtc mode. And if you load another game from there, it just stays on and can be used even if it's not supported by the original game (i.e. FireRed)
    Loading a game through Load Recent or Favorites unfortunately reloads the whole emulator, so the rtc mode gets wiped.

Since vba-next activates rtc based on some kind of hard coded game id list, there might be a way to compile it so that it activates rtc for pokemon fire red naturally, but I have no idea how all of that works to be honest. It'd certainly be much more of a hassle.

Maybe there's already a more comfortable way that I just couldn't find, if so, please tell me about it. If not, maybe this will help some people trying to get the timed events and such. Unfortunately, I've only been playing for a couple of minutes and have no idea if any of this causes bugs down the line, but I'll report back if I run into any problems.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2020
    I'm playing on Beta 14.5 and just finished the freak show chapter. Is there going to be an update for the story to continue or do I need to play another beta? I notice other posts have screenshots of chapters that go beyond freak show chapter

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm playing on Beta 14.5 and just finished the freak show chapter. Is there going to be an update for the story to continue or do I need to play another beta? I notice other posts have screenshots of chapters that go beyond freak show chapter

The screenshots are for beta 15 which is being worked om

ARCEUS493ZELDA

ArcBolt27
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i would imagine the same way as usual but im not sure if they have been implimented yet as i havent played in a while so i could be wrong

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • how do pokemon like chansey and golbat who evolve through friendship evolve in this game
    Exact same way they evolve/gain friendship in the rest of the mainline games.

ON: So, I've been having kind of a rough week and my SSD died. Right now I'm using a distribution of Linux in Live Mode.
    If y'all notice that I don't post updates for a while, that's the reason.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2019
    Hi guys, i just started playing this awesome romhack, and i have a question i defeated snorlax after vermilion city and didn't catch it, is there another way to catch him? ( resetting is not an option, already saved :( )

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi guys, i just started playing this awesome romhack, and i have a question i defeated snorlax after vermilion city and didn't catch it, is there another way to catch him? ( resetting is not an option, already saved :( )
    No. That is the only regular Snorlax obtainable, at least at the moment.
    You can still get the Icy Snorlax, but since it's a special Snorlax, it won't appear in any cutscene of the game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2019
    Ok, thx for the reply, so if i use action replay codes or something like that to capture a wild snorlax, will that work on cutscenes? (Just for the sake of using Red's team, i would really love to play with his full team)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Ok, thx for the reply, so if i use action replay codes or something like that to capture a wild snorlax, will that work on cutscenes? (Just for the sake of using Red's team, i would really love to play with his full team)
    As long as what you catch is a regular Snorlax, it'll work, yeah.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Last edited:
    Back