• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Riftwarden

Brendan
Years
  • Hey diegoisawesome. Love the look of your rom, really excited to play it... but I have a problem.

I downloaded Crystal Dust on gba4ios just a few days ago with no problem, I even played up to Mr.Pokemon's house. I went to play it the next day and gba4ios had some glitch that couldn't be fixed so I had to re-download gba4ios. Crystal Dust was the first game i tried to download but I couldn't find one that could go into gba4ios, I could only find IPS files which requires the origional game, which I don't have.This is strange because I was playing it just a few days ago.
    I am really desperato and exciterato to play this rom, looks awesome.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • Was your other hack actually discontinued? And how far does it actually go in Kanto? I have 9 gym-badges in Liquid Crystal and I'm planning to play Crystal Dust once I've completed the other one to compare which one if the best in my opinion.
    Well, "discontinued" is kind of a strong word. I'd say that it's more like it's on an indefinite hiatus. I don't like a lot of its elements and I'm not sure they can be worked out without changing the game entirely but I'd love to be able to go back to it.
    This is great news. I'm not sure what sort of time frame you're looking at, but I will definitely be playing the final release. I've always wanted a GBA remake of Crystal.
    Awesome, thanks for being so patient!
    I found a bug or glitch diego and it has made my life miserable upon destroying team rocket trying to liberate the radio tower in goldenrod city i came across a puzzle with switches that open certain doors... Simple right? Well halfway through i saved and powered off and came back to the game with the door i entered through to be closed and i cannot escape !!! I have tried everything pressing A on the doors escape rope dig fly all not available methods of escape please help me diego your my only hope.
    Well I've looked into this bug and have an idea of why it happens, so a bugfix will come in the next update.
    Fear not! These types of bugs happen, though they're a royal pain. Do you have some savestates? If not, your best bet is to use cheat codes (Emerald cheat codes may work, I honestly don't know) to warp/Teleport/Fly/Dig/etc. to get yourself out of there.

If you didn't use any savestates, you're unfortunately stuck. I hope Diego takes a look at Goldenrod so this doesn't happen again.

Be careful and always have backup saves.
    This is good advice, my hacks are generally bug-free but some always slip through the cracks.
    I rarely cheat so i never thougbt about that thanks so much! I am out now and have the radio tower returned to normal now, but after discovering how awesome walk through walls was i stumbled upon......."drumline" STEVEN! He was on route45 far right wall (must have walk through walls chheat on)if you talk to him you initiate a battle, i was lvl 35 pokemon team against his onslaught of 60s steel pokemon
    Yeah, there are some maps in the ROM which solely exist to fill out some area beyond the edges of the map, and I didn't bother removing their event data since you would never encounter it in usual play.
    Greetings! I have been playing beta 2 of this hack; so far it has been amazing, and I can't help but marvel at the quality of the scripting :)
    Thanks!
    Hey guys ! i have to wait too long ? xD i love that hack,best hack ever !
    When you finish the Beta 3, let it be with Lips Patcher,i dont want to start all over again xD OK ?
    Cheers
    I do plan for it to be an IPS release, but that has no bearing on whether or not you'll have to start over (and it's almost a sure fact that you will).
    I want to fix my clock in the game how i do that D: ?
    What's wrong with it?
    I'm playing this hack with nuzlocke. I hope I can finish the Johto quest without any problem. Also, one question:
    Can we evolve pokemon with moon stone that evolve by trading?
    No, I've previously posted about how you can evolve trade evo Pokémon though, so it's not a complete mystery.
    One day, when I'm close to death, I'm going to login to the Pokecommunity and find this thread. I will cry and remember all the good times. Hopefully I can play Beta 3 before I die :D
    Yeah, Beta 3 has taken me longer than I care to admit. To be fair though, my life is way more busy now than it was back in 2011-2013. On top of that, I want to finish my new map editor fist and use it for CrystalDust so in the future, things won't break all the time from using A-Map. And I want to finish the PokéGear too, so there's that. I feel bad for everyone that's been waiting so long for me to get back to work but that's just the way things are going.
    I'm still playing and challenging nuzlocke this hack. Btw, you won't believe, I've caught a shiny Geodude! :))

I've got some questions;
    1)Where to find Water Stone? Not currently available.
    2)Why can't we rematch with trainers we have registered in Pokégear? It doesn't work basically at all in its current incarnation, wait for Beta 3.
    3)Do Graveler evolve into Golem by leveling up?
    edit: I learned, yes.

edit2: I've finished the game with nuzlocke challenge. It was a great hack. Can't go to Kanto though. This is the hall of fame ^^
    vLv69A.png
    Responses in bold. Thanks for playing!
    I just picked this hack up, and I jave to say, the nostalgia game is strong. I'm at the Ilex Forest currently, and I had realized a few things, so I decided to check the forums. My only remaining observation is that the random encounter rate seems a bit high, but it's not really a problem at all. I'd also like to say that it's awesome that you're still working on this project. Keep up the great work!
    Thank you for the kind words!
    I have only a single word to describe this hack..
    AWESOME, Awesome like the dev;)
    Is my favourite Hack<3

Is better then liquid crystal because is more clean and similar at the original game (I love the apricorn system and the new Pokèballs), all features are perfectly implemented.

I've collected 7 badges in a single night XD
    Thanks for the praise!
    Omg yes!!! I've been wanting to play an ACTUAL remake instead of other hacks with all that extra weird stuff. I have a couple of questions- will this hack allow trades with other original roms? Also may I ask how your "fake rtc" was supposed to work? Couldn't there be a fake rtc based on the number of steps taken? Ex. every 1000 steps the day would turn into evening, another 1000 would change the evening to night etc..

edit: I see you did include a GB Player in the game, but I have to say some of the bgms sounds weird... like the drum sounds in violet city and the route before entering it is very loud.

I do hope you'll actively work on your hack someday!
    The "fake RTC" basically works in tandem with the in-game timer to count how much time has passed. Obviously it can't count anything when the game is off so I made it so you set the clock each time you press continue. And the GB Player is like that because the music system in the GBA Pokémon games can't accurately represent all the instruments that the Game Boy could. There's no way around it, sorry.
    I am still waiting for the completed version...
    Same!
    Why pokèmon's attack learning system now is similar to the original game?
    I think that it's the only flaw of this hack:(
    I didn't change the actual movesets, so what are you referencing here?
    Very nice pokemon hack
    Thank you!
    Looks awesome, going to make a Let's Play of it soon at my channel, how did you add Kanto and Johto to one game?
    Assembly programming! It's awesome!
    For some reason, I'm just not a huge fan of the New Bark Town house tiles. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way. Big fan of this hack though, doing it on Emerald is great too. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks! Can you show me an example of how you think they should look?
    It's because this is a remake that will stick strictly to what was available in Gen II.
    That means new TM/HM, moves and 3rd Gen Evolutions are not included.
    That includes also the learning moves for Pokemon, it'll be the same as with Gen II and not Gen III.
    ...Now I'm starting to doubt myself Did I change the learnsets? I honestly can't remember.
    If it's a complete recreation of Crystal, with no new gen features, why should I play this instead of just playing my Crystal?

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just asking.
    This is a question many have asked. And my only response is, new stuff WILL be added, just not yet. Maybe for you, it's not currently worth it to play CD over Crystal, but the goal is to make it worth it in the future.
    It looks better. Also if there won't be 3rd gen pokemon incorporated you can always hack them in, wouldn't you like to use 3rd gen pokemon in Crystal? Also there are abilities and other things that removing would be against common sense.
    These are also good reasons.
    im new to this hack and im still at the beginng when prof. gives me the egg and in my party it says error egg is that normal
    Nope, I don't know how that would have happened. Is your game updated to the latest? Are you using cheats?
    tahw
    Ooh, I completely forgot about this. Good luck! I can't wait to play the finished version!
    Thanks!
    Hey diegoisawesome. Love the look of your rom, really excited to play it... but I have a problem.

I downloaded Crystal Dust on gba4ios just a few days ago with no problem, I even played up to Mr.Pokemon's house. I went to play it the next day and gba4ios had some glitch that couldn't be fixed so I had to re-download gba4ios. Crystal Dust was the first game i tried to download but I couldn't find one that could go into gba4ios, I could only find IPS files which requires the origional game, which I don't have.This is strange because I was playing it just a few days ago.
    I am really desperato and exciterato to play this rom, looks awesome.
    You probably found some GBA ROM download, which I do not endorse nor support. Always make sure to download the patch from my website and patch it to the original game.
    Hi Diego, I have played this and it was awesome, after I ever played any game without using cheat is this after fire red so I will rate this cool. and yes can you accept my friend request?
    Done!
    Duuuude this hack is super dope! When's that Beta 3 expected to come around?
    Sometime in the future!

I have a question for you guys (and I feel like I may have already asked this): how would you like expanded maps in the next beta? By expanded maps, I mean taking a more FireRed approach to mapping and making them proportionally bigger instead of 1:1 replicas. I've been pondering this question for a while, and people have told me they'd want bigger maps for the bigger GBA screen. Trust me though, I won't go all Liquid Crystal HeartGold and change the maps radically for no real reason; I want to keep them in the same spirit as Crystal, but just with a new size.

To vote on which map size you want, I've made a Strawpoll. Check it out: http://strawpoll.me/7275401

And as always, thanks to all of you for being so, so patient.

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I have a question for you guys (and I feel like I may have already asked this): how would you like expanded maps in the next beta? By expanded maps, I mean taking a more FireRed approach to mapping and making them proportionally bigger instead of 1:1 replicas. I've been pondering this question for a while, and people have told me they'd want bigger maps for the bigger GBA screen. Trust me though, I won't go all Liquid Crystal HeartGold and change the maps radically for no real reason; I want to keep them in the same spirit as Crystal, but just with a new size.

To vote on which map size you want, I've made a Strawpoll. Check it out: http://strawpoll.me/7275401

Really great to see you back. To me I prefer the FR/LG expanded maps.

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
  • I have a question for you guys (and I feel like I may have already asked this): how would you like expanded maps in the next beta? By expanded maps, I mean taking a more FireRed approach to mapping and making them proportionally bigger instead of 1:1 replicas. I've been pondering this question for a while, and people have told me they'd want bigger maps for the bigger GBA screen. Trust me though, I won't go all Liquid Crystal HeartGold and change the maps radically for no real reason; I want to keep them in the same spirit as Crystal, but just with a new size.

What are you talking about? do you want to say about, (just example) like if we add the Hight 20 then the width can also be only 20? like no more we can add any extra width or height? I have just asked and this is just a ^example.

Sierraffinity

Years
  • Really great to see you back. To me I prefer the FR/LG expanded maps.
    Thanks!
    Considering playing this actually. Hopefully it's good when I start.
    Hope you like it!
    What are you talking about? do you want to say about, (just example) like if we add the Hight 20 then the width can also be only 20? like no more we can add any extra width or height? I have just asked and this is just a ^example.
    What are you talking about? I'm asking whether or not I should keep the maps exactly the same size as the original Crystal version (like I have them now) or make them bigger (like FRLG did with Kanto).

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
  • What are you talking about? I'm asking whether or not I should keep the maps exactly the same size as the original Crystal version (like I have them now) or make them bigger (like FRLG did with Kanto).

just check the strawpoll you have maked and also everyfan of this game want to make them bigger like Firered so thats on you :)

Sierraffinity

Years
  • just check the strawpoll you have maked and also everyfan of this game want to make them bigger like Firered so thats on you :)
    Yeah, I will be making the maps bigger, I just didn't understand your English.
    Is this hack done?

'Beta 2:
    Finished
    Almost everything in Johto and some parts of Kanto

Beta 3:
    Planned
    Finishing the Kanto quest'
    Thank you, it's almost as if people insist on not reading the main post.
    Can i catch all 251 pokemons?
    Not yet, but eventually!

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Deigo is toooo awesome

Wonderful hack man this is really a 100% accurate hack
    Just one Question when does beta 2 end

You are joking, right?

First - read the OP
    Second - there's a fucking answer for literaly the same question right over your post.

Guys, READ THREADS!

You are joking, right?

First - read the OP
    Second - there's a fucking answer for literaly the same question right over your post.

Guys, READ THREADS!

Yes, but, where does the current beta go up to? Sorry, couldn't resist.

The best part about this hack is that it's just Crystal, no extra crap to get in the way of my nostalgia. Keep up the good work Diego!

Back