• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    First I must say the three of them look pretty boss. Charizard is my favorite!

My evaluation of the three...

Venusaur: He gets Thick Fat which means he has two less weaknesses. However, a lot of people are forgetting that what made Venusaur OU in 5th gen was Chlorophyll, and that is gone with the Mega Evolution. Without Chlorophyll, Venusaur wasn't anything special. This means he'll need to be played much differently than before and, unless he has a hefty boost to his defenses, I can see him actually dropping in usage.

Charizard: He got the biggest boost among them. Drought is such an amazing ability! Stealth Rock will still be a problem, but I expect Charizard to be at the very least low OU with this change. The boost to Sp.Atk. and the nearly unresisted coverage from Fire and Dragon moves (although he doesn't have a Dragon STAB) will make him a very potent attacker, stronger than Moltres, and Fire Blast from this thing will HURT.

Blastoise: His new ability, I believe, does more than what we're being told. I'm expecting hefty boosts to Hydro Pump and Water Spout, all of which Blastoise can utilize well. I haven't seen which of his stats are boosted but, considering he's always been the tank among the three Kanto starters, and considering his great defensive typing, I believe that, if he gets a defensive boost, he'll be among the best bulky Water Pokémon in the game.

Yeah but leaves Charizard vulnerable to Ground moves unless he has Levitate. I sure as hell prefer a Fire/Flying Charizard with Drought than a Fire/Dragon Charizard with Levitate.

Also, Dragon-type means he's vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes in addition to Stealth Rock, so it may not have been a good idea to give him a Dragon type instead of Flying.

You made really great points about Venusaur, however his usage probably won't drop. Pokemon with mega evolutions will only increase in usage, because there are now 2 distinct ways to use them.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I cannot tell you enough how wrong you are.

Yes, what made Venusaur special is because of its Chlorophyll ability. You are also forgetting that Venusaur is a freaking tank. It's defenses are certainly nothing to scoff at, and if its Megaevoluation proves a boost to said defenses, then it can operate very well at said tank role, if that makes sense. Think about it this way: with Leech seed (and if Venu has a speed boost. All it needs is 10 or 15 more to its speed and it'll be awesome), Venusaur would be a complete ***** to take down.

Also note that (I might've said this before) that a 252 spa heatran does like 45% max to thick fat defensive venusaur currently. Imagine how insane it would be if those same defenses were boosted; I'm starting to believe that it can shrug off fire blasts like nothing.

In short, Venuaur would be far from useless with Thick Fat. Sure, you're right about it being played differently, but I disagree with you about it falling in usage. It'll just be played more defensively instead of offensively like it's regular form.

It is confirmed that MegaVenasaur will get a boost in both Defense and Sp. Defense so yeah I agree Venasaur will be one tanky ************ with Thick Fat.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I'm loving these new Megas for the Kanto starters. I figured we'd get them because Blaziken got a Mega evolution so I figured all the starters will. My favorite being Mega Blastoise cause it has that big cannon coming of of it's back plus the hand cannons. I'm not sure how useful Mega-Launcher is gonna be, but I'm sure Squirtle learns Water Pulse so it works for Blastoise.

Venusaur is not bad , not my favorite though. It's At least Thick Fat is gonna be a really helpful ability so that makes me like it more cause now that means it's resistant to Fire and Ice.

I really like Charizard's design too. It has more dragon like qualities than his normal form and reminds me of Garchomp a bit. Too bad it didn't gain the Dragon typing to make it Fire/Dragon, that's my only drawback of it. Drought is a great ability for Charizard cause that increase of Fire power is helpful.

Also I'm glad they finally revealed what that bracelet was. After they first revealed Mega evolutions, I figured it was related to them cause of the symbol above their head when they Mega evolve. Also it's the symbol in the Japanese logos of the game. I guess Mega evolutions might have a big tie into the game possibly.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think the mascots may tie in with the tower that's said to have some connection to Megaevolutions...it's entirely possible Xerneas and Yvetal may be the cause of such evolutions... sort of like the old theory I had of them "mutating" pokémon into evolving only it'll be Mega evolving...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Oh wow....Drought on Charizard gives him a really good chance to contest 2 of his weaknesses in Rock and Water. He's already has decent Sp. Atk which gets boosted, now he can 1 turn Solarbeam vs Rock and Water while EQ Electric types. Leave one slot for DD and have his last one Flamethrower.

Sick little beast right there.

If only he could learn Earth Power. =C

Years
  • Or give it Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower as Drought will increase it's damage. Yeah if only it did learn Earth Power...it'll have excellent coverage given it's increased sp. Att.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Or give it Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower as Drought will increase it's damage. Yeah if only it did learn Earth Power...it'll have excellent coverage given it's increased sp. Att.

Accuracy was too low which is why most people opt out for Ice Beam over Blizzard or Thunderbolt over Thunder. Same scenario as they are all the step up attacks. Flamethrower has less chance of missing and the 95 base isn't horrible with both a 1.5 Drought boost, Special Attack Boost, AND STAB.

Years
  • As much of a "genwunner" as I'll sound, I'm sorely disappointed that Charizard isn't Fire/Dragon. Though that's understandable if all Mega evolutions don't go through type change..if not, then what the hell were you thinking Gamefreak. Drought is a godsend for any Pokemon, though. 4x Stealth Rock weakness sucks, but it doesn't always mean Pokemon with 4x Rock weakness is useless, like Volcarona and Ho-oh shows.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Just image the shiny version lol.
    ZOWUUte.jpg

Someone found this and I just have to share it.

MegaCharizard is definitely my favorite of the Mega forms. It was always my favorite Kanto starter, and its Mega form doesn't disappoint. Can't wait to see it in action and how it will affect competitive play.

The Pokemon Bank and Transfer is a definite plus for me. I was worried that I would have to pick up another 3DS and a spare copy of X/Y or pester someone for trading any Pokemon I want to keep whenever I wanted to replay the game. But for five dollars a year, that's a better option and a worry off my mind. Though now I don't have a good excuse to get one of the exclusive 3DS promotions, but I can deal with that.

I'm interested in the llama Pokemon. I wonder what its typing will be or anything about it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm also glad to see the transfer method exists. I'll rather pay 5 dollars a year than not have them...
    Exactly. This Pokemon Transfer option is the best idea they could come up with for transferring between DS and 3DS. It's also a good way to please those who always didn't like needing two systems and two games for transferring Pokemon. It's either the Pokemon Bank or nothing, and I'm willing to pay the five dollars to have this option and can carry over Pokemon that I've had since 2007 rather than not have them carry on to the new games.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I cannot tell you enough how wrong you are.

Yes, what made Venusaur special is because of its Chlorophyll ability. You are also forgetting that Venusaur is a freaking tank. It's defenses are certainly nothing to scoff at, and if its Megaevoluation proves a boost to said defenses, then it can operate very well at said tank role, if that makes sense. Think about it this way: with Leech seed (and if Venu has a speed boost. All it needs is 10 or 15 more to its speed and it'll be awesome), Venusaur would be a complete ***** to take down.

Also note that (I might've said this before) that a 252 spa heatran does like 45% max to thick fat defensive venusaur currently. Imagine how insane it would be if those same defenses were boosted; I'm starting to believe that it can shrug off fire blasts like nothing.

In short, Venuaur would be far from useless with Thick Fat. Sure, you're right about it being played differently, but I disagree with you about it falling in usage. It'll just be played more defensively instead of offensively like it's regular form.

Tank with 83 base Defense? That's a joke, lol. He's more of a Special tank than Physical tank. With the boost from Mega Evolution he can be both, but the problem with defensive Pokémon is that mixed defenses don't work. So you'll have to focus on either.

A minor drawback is that he doesn't have access to Leftovers or any healing item. To be able to heal you'll need to set up Leech Seed or sacrifice a moveslot with Synthesis. Of course, this might actually be a good idea since a tank only needs one attacking move, but Venusaur will be shut down pretty easily since he can't attack outside of Grass moves and Sludge Bomb (he does have access to Earthquake but that runs off his lesser attacking stat). He will be tough to beat, but by no means unbeatable.

Also don't forget that there might be things surpassing Heatran's power in the 6th gen... Reflecting on it... I heard somewhere that Mewtwo's Mega Evolution is supposed to have around 205 Sp.Atk. That's 50 more base Sp.Atk. than it currently has. So it could be possible that other Pokémon get similar boosts. The way I see it, Mega Evolution is a form of evolution that exceeds full power, differently from a form change, therefore the BST will be increased as if it were a normal evolution, but with the drawback of requiring an item to trigger. I'd say this is GF's way to allow us to use uber-like Pokémon in regular battles. So Venusaur could be the biggest obstacle in a stall team, while Charizard could be the most dangerous sweeper in an offensive team.

Last edited:

Years
  • Exactly. This Pokemon Transfer option is the best idea they could come up with for transferring between DS and 3DS. It's also a good way to please those who always didn't like needing two systems and two games for transferring Pokemon. It's either the Pokemon Bank or nothing, and I'm willing to pay the five dollars to have this option and can carry over Pokemon that I've had since 2007 rather than not have them carry on to the new games.

Same, mine go back as far as to when I was a fifth grader (2005) and I would hate to lose them, especially since a few of them are lv. 100 with the rest being 70-90's.

I think Venusaur and Charzard should both be given Earth Power...it'll benefit them greatly.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    I seriously cannot comprehend why they put Kanto starters as starters... it absolutely kills the point of Kalos having starters as most likely players will choose Kanto starter.

It's all right. It is in addition to the Kalos starters. I going to box my kanto starter anyway and use a Kalos starter. I like to start fresh each gen. :p

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2019
    I seriously cannot comprehend why they put Kanto starters as starters... it absolutely kills the point of Kalos having starters as most likely players will choose Kanto starter.

How about the elemental monkeys for 5th gen (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour) yes they are not as big as kanto starters but its the same concept. But I agree the last month of info has overshadowed the Kalos starters a lot. I kinda hope they give them Mega evolution. But if they did that them every starter pokemon will get one which I really would love as long it looks cool and they gain a new ability.

Back