• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
  • I honestly don't like the fact they've added mega evolutions to the Kanto starters. Ever since we've been aware of mega evolutions, it's been pretty obvious that it'd happen but I still don't like it.

This is mainly due to the fact that I'm a "genwunner" and therefore think that the Pokemon that should definitely have been left alone are the starters. I'm not a big fan of mega forms as it is but this has definitely cemented that fact. I'm just glad that activating the mega form is optional.

I don't even really like the look of their new forms. Bulbasaur effectively just had some Miracle Grow fed to it, Charizard has been given a bit more of a dragon look to it and Blastoise just had an extra couple of cannons (FYI, I like the look of Blastoise the most but still don't agree with the idea of mega forms for them). Obviously any mega form will gain some sort of boost to its stats but it's not as if the Kanto starters need a boost as they're already strong as it is.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I honestly don't like the fact they've added mega evolutions to the Kanto starters. Ever since we've been aware of mega evolutions, it's been pretty obvious that it'd happen but I still don't like it.

This is mainly due to the fact that I'm a "genwunner" and therefore think that the Pokemon that should definitely have been left alone are the starters. I'm not a big fan of mega forms as it is but this has definitely cemented that fact. I'm just glad that activating the mega form is optional.

I don't even really like the look of their new forms. Bulbasaur effectively just had some Miracle Grow fed to it, Charizard has been given a bit more of a dragon look to it and Blastoise just had an extra couple of cannons (FYI, I like the look of Blastoise the most but still don't agree with the idea of mega forms for them). Obviously any mega form will gain some sort of boost to its stats but it's not as if the Kanto starters need a boost as they're already strong as it is.

Charizard is very frail and not as strong as most like to think...

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • How about the elemental monkeys for 5th gen (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour)

I'm Glad other people make the connection. Instead of making 6 new (terrible) monkeys to give your team good coverage, just hand out retro pokemon we already like to round out our team.

I'm only using new pokemon in my first run, unless a Machop or Jynx shows up, as I've never used those before in a game.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • I seriously cannot comprehend why they put Kanto starters as starters... it absolutely kills the point of Kalos having starters as most likely players will choose Kanto starter.

Can't players choose both, or is there some unwritten rule that says we can only use 1 starter per region? I know I'll be thrilled to use my favorite Pokemon and Starter, Charmander, but I'm also excited to see what Chespin has to offer. Starters are usually pretty reliable in- game and I'd rather have a retro Pokemon that I love for type coverage than some derpy looking Monkey that we got in Black and White.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I seriously cannot comprehend why they put Kanto starters as starters... it absolutely kills the point of Kalos having starters as most likely players will choose Kanto starter.

Um, I think you missed it when the video showed Prof. Sycamore saying "It'd be fantastic if you took another Pokémon with you." That sort of indicates that the storyline necessitates the player getting BOTH a Kalos starter and a Kanto Starter. And even if we could only have one, I'd still probably still go with the Kalos starter. I'd rather explore with something new instead of settling into something because of its familiarity.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I have fallen head over heels for nintendo for thinking of such a great thing such as pokemon bank. I always hated how back in the old days you only had so many boxes. As the games have expanded so has the amount of pokemon. It was at the point that you could only have one of each pokemon in your bank. Well now its to the point you can have one of every pokemon plus many more. maybe you wanted a certain pokemon with every nature. now you can have that one pokemon in every nature without having to get ride of any pokemon to make room. I love it and I am very satisfied

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Exactly. This Pokemon Transfer option is the best idea they could come up with for transferring between DS and 3DS. It's also a good way to please those who always didn't like needing two systems and two games for transferring Pokemon. It's either the Pokemon Bank or nothing, and I'm willing to pay the five dollars to have this option and can carry over Pokemon that I've had since 2007 rather than not have them carry on to the new games.
    Thiiiiss!

I seriously cannot comprehend why they put Kanto starters as starters... it absolutely kills the point of Kalos having starters as most likely players will choose Kanto starter.
    Two reasons:

1. Appeal to older players of the first generation.
    2. Mega evolutions, mega evolutions, mega evolutions.

I think you misinterpreted what was said though. You get the choice of one Kalos starter from your new friends and later one Kanto starter from Professor Sycamore. You have the option to use both, one, or none at all. It's not a matter of either or.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Agreed that it's not as strong as all it's hyped up to be but it's not exactly a pushover either. Whenever I've used it in games, it's always been one of the forerunners of my team.
    To be fair, while the starters are usually some of the strongest Pokémon in our parties, most people perceive the fire starters as being the best choice for an easier play through in-game. Charizard is a prime example for this. Of course it's all up to personal opinion.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • To be fair, while the starters are usually some of the strongest Pokémon in our parties, most people perceive the fire starters as being the best choice for an easier play through in-game. Charizard is a prime example for this. Of course it's all up to personal opinion.
    I see water as the best choice for easy play through due to all the rock gym we've had thoughout the years (well that's not the case this generation, and the first is bug so Fennekin will help a lot...and if one uses Torchic too the first gym will be a breeze...), and them having good stats...at least the ones starting from Gen 3 on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    i personally do not like the pokemon bank. i do not need that much space. and if you are playing competitively, there are over 700 slots in the in game pc, and there are about 400 fully evolved and/or useable pokemon competitive wise. i just dont need THAT much space!

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    i personally do not like the pokemon bank. i do not need that much space. and if you are playing competitively, there are over 700 slots in the in game pc, and there are about 400 fully evolved and/or useable pokemon competitive wise. i just dont need THAT much space!

I think people are more interested in transferring their pokemon from B/W and B2/W2 to X/Y.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I see water as the best choice for easy play through due to all the rock gym we've had thoughout the years (well that's not the case this generation, and the first is bug so Fennekin will help a lot...and if one uses Torchic too the first gym will be a breeze...), and them having good stats...at least the ones starting from Gen 3 on.

I think that statements only true for gens 2,3,5 and now 6
    Using squritil and pochama wasn't all that easy or smooth for me

Years
  • I think Pokemon Bank is a fantastic idea. I had to get a second DS Lite just so I could transfer my Pokemon from SoulSilver to Black. I would have been disgusted if I had to get a 2DS or second 3DS just to transfer my Pokemon from Gen V to VI. This method is so much cheaper (had it already existed during Gen V, it would have saved me $50 and the hassle of bidding on eBay). Plus, if the free trial period allows it, I'm going to transfer all my Pokemon then and not have to pay a dime.

As for the Kanto megas, I like all of their designs. Mega Venusaur, I like its design except for the flower on its head. Its markings remind of the cloned Venusaur from Pokemon The First Movie. Charizard's mega evolution really wowed me in the trailer. Dragons have always been my favorite mythical creature, but I have never cared much for Charizard. However, I really like its mega evo. I'm going back and forth one whether I want to get Bulbasaur or Charmander now...

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    There's something about mega blastoise that makes no sense. He has 3 huge cannons yet he is forced to shoot water out of his mouth in the gameplay footage.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    There's something about mega blastoise that makes no sense. He has 3 huge cannons yet he is forced to shoot water out of his mouth in the gameplay footage.

That's the standard attack position for all water guns , the could of made a special one especially for it but I figure that's the next advancement in pokemon battles

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    Pokémon Bank is an annoying idea. I live out of the USA, the UK and Japan, and can't use the eShop at all. So guess what? I only have one month to transfer all of my Pokémon to the bank.

And regarding Charizard, Drought makes it that much more useful,but it's still 4x weak to Stealth Rock, so it's not gonna last too long. Blastoise is horrible, Pulse moves are scarce on it, so that's not gonna help. Mega Venusaur is actually inferior to regular Venusaur because REGULAR VENUSAUR GETS CHLOROPHYLL!So we basically only get 1 worthwhile Mega Evolution; One Mega Evolution that I'd consider being my Mega Evolution for my team (Charizard, it's still not as cool as Mawile, Blaziken or Lucario however).

Back