• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Direct Reveals Dynamax, Open World Areas, and More

Eldegoss

[i]The Beauty of Galar[/i]
    Years
    Dynamax seems like something I could do without, but as long as it is contained to Raid Battles and Gym Battles then it would be fine.

Love all the new Pokemon! Not a single one disappoints me! Based on appearances alone, the shield legendary looks better imo.

The Wild Area is very exciting. I hope it makes shiny hunting easier!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'll be honest, this new Dynamax gimmick seems even less interesting to me than Z-moves. That being said, I did enjoy everything else aside from the champion's ace being Charizard, lol. The few new pokemon designs they showed off were really neat.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    The graphics alone with the gym battles, graphics for Dynamax characters and pokemon attacks, and open world up to the cityscape graphics are amazing.

The character build up even with the crowds loving the gym leaders is a nice touch. It mentions about the pokemon living with people beyond just the pokemon battles.... (contests? maybe a thing... or why mention it)

similar legendaries.. maybe a prevolution that could split evo....(like sun and moon)

The pokemon are ok... but I'm hoping that we get the rumored electric corgi

Years
    Really enjoyed yesterday's Pokemon Direct!

The new Pokemon all have great designs, including the legendaries.

The wild areas/open world really reminds me of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which I'm playing right now and I'm glad to see it in Sword/Shield over classic routes.

Edit: Woops, The Wild Area(s) don't replace classic routes.

As someone who ended up skipping Gen 6 and 7, I'm actually glad they've introduced this giant Pokemon/Dynamax stuff into these games, to mix battles up a bit. But, I do hope it's not in there aaaall the time and there are plenty of "normal" battles as well.

I'm seriously tempted to buy the golden steelbook dual pack. xD

The only thing that's bothering me, is that they still haven't said if SwSh is Pro Controller compatible, which is something I'm really hoping for. But, the two directs so far don't seem to have shown anything to indicate that the games are motion control heavy, so I'd guess that they will be Pro Controller compatible.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Open world area, thank you @ god

So far every reveal has been SO GOOD, I've decided it's settled and I'm saving up for a Switch.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I'm enjoying yesterday's Direct, alright. The Dynamax gimmick looks cool, the Wild Area seems to be pretty vast, the new 'mons like Wooloo are looking nice, and the characters are good as well. So far the Direct looks promising for Sword and Shield, and I might want to pre-order them when I have a chance.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    Finally got the time to watch it!

I absolutely love what I'm seeing so far. It usually takes me time to warm up to new Pokemon designs, especially SuMo and XY, but I really love these designs already. Wooloo is such a cutie, and Corvinight is epic. I can definitely see these two being on my team and it's just the start. The legendaries look awesome as well, a bit similar looking to each other, but they still look great.

blue

gucci
    Years
    this direct has made me so much more hyped for these games, way more than i'd anticipated! everything is looking vibrant and colourful and i'm really digging the new pokemon designs. also, it wasn't featured in the trailer but the battle UI looks SO much better than past gens, just clean and simple.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    With the open world and viewable wild pokemon, I hope they do not dummy down shiny hunting like they did with let's go eevee/pikachu. That really takes to excitement away from getting shinies.

I am not familiar with how to connect friends through switch yet, how do you team up with ours for raid battles? do you need friend codes, or does it connect you with local players?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Upon looking closer, all the characters are so cartoony and cute, and Eldegoss is adorable. I'm really looking forward to more reveals.
    This is the most excited I've been for a Pokemon game in a few gens now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Overall it's been a pretty well done direct, and I can't say I've seen much in the way of disappointment overall too. Good new pokemon revealed, new mechanic seems well received, and they were definitely focusing on capitalising on BotW with the wild area segment being a huge focus of it. (Down to using piano trills that sound like from botw... very much planned there.)

Cid

Years
    I loved the Direct. I initially didn't like Zacian and Zamazenta's designs, but they've grown on me a lot quicker than I though they would. Zacian much earlier, and Zamazenta as of right now. They're good Pokémon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think I'm most excited for the wild area because it looks like it may be one continuous area that goes through a good chunk of the map.

On top of that I get the impression it'll have a massive variety of Pokemon to be found, at least I'm hoping that'll be the case. Also I'm excited because this could be our chance to catch an ice type Pokemon early for once due to weather affecting the Pokemon that appeared.

It was never really possible to consider ice types because they always showed up so late in the game, but I'm thinking I might want to add a Snover to my team now.

Last edited:
    Back