• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2021
    Hey, you're welcome! Glad to hear you two are having fun with the hack.

Yeah, pk3DS will be able to randomize the hack. It'll only open a full ROM file system though, so you'll have to unpack an X or Y ROM and copy the contents of the hack's "romfs" (i.e. the "a" folder and the DllField.cro file) folder into the ROM's romFS folder first. From there you can randomize it and then either rebuild the entire ROM, or copy the modified files back into the hack's folders and reinstall it as per the guide. If you're just randomizing wild Pokemon and static encounters, the edited files will be a/0/1/2 and DllField.cro. Hope that's clear, but let me know if not!

Sorry for bothering you, I attempted to randomize both X and Y and was unsuccessful. I should preface by saying I have 0 knowledge of anything related to 3ds rom hacking so please bare with me if terminology gets me confused. I'll try to explain what I did and hopefully you can catch where I went wrong/what I ended up missing.

To start off I unpacked the ROM using PackEnglishV9.rar. I placed the Y hack in the PackHack folder containing the setup and tookit.exe. From there I ran the setup and the toolkit and unpacked the .3ds file. During the unpacking it asked if I wanted to decompress the code.bin and I said no (not sure why just saw someone else do it). Now that it's unpacked I copied the entirety of the folders content into a new folder on my desktop (also not sure why just saw someone else do it as well). From there i opened up pk3ds and navigated to the new folder I made and it again asked me if i wanted to decompress the code.bin file and I said no. From there the app was running and I randomized the wild encounters and the starters only. After doing that i dragged the ExtractedRomFS folder from the new folder I made back to the original PackHack folder (still just following someone elses steps blindly). Rebuilt the ROM and tried to test it both with and without the mods and it would just crash Citra.

Hopefully you caught what I was doing wrong or what I missed and once again appreciate the time you're taking to help. Also if there is a different way to go about it that might be simpler for someone to follow along I'll gladly try something different.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Does the latest version include the new title screens? Also, I'm not really far in the game yet, but is there a trainer or spot where you can get EXP fast? Like some rematchable trainer with a team full of Blisseys? Cuz that would really help leveling in the postgame.
    No new title screens yet, I'll probably add those with the next big update. Yeah, the restaurants in Lumiose have Blissey and Audino trainers for grinding during the main story, but XY has very little post game so I didn't give the post game restaurants grinding teams too.
    Sorry for bothering you, I attempted to randomize both X and Y and was unsuccessful. I should preface by saying I have 0 knowledge of anything related to 3ds rom hacking so please bare with me if terminology gets me confused. I'll try to explain what I did and hopefully you can catch where I went wrong/what I ended up missing.

To start off I unpacked the ROM using PackEnglishV9.rar. I placed the Y hack in the PackHack folder containing the setup and tookit.exe. From there I ran the setup and the toolkit and unpacked the .3ds file. During the unpacking it asked if I wanted to decompress the code.bin and I said no (not sure why just saw someone else do it). Now that it's unpacked I copied the entirety of the folders content into a new folder on my desktop (also not sure why just saw someone else do it as well). From there i opened up pk3ds and navigated to the new folder I made and it again asked me if i wanted to decompress the code.bin file and I said no. From there the app was running and I randomized the wild encounters and the starters only. After doing that i dragged the ExtractedRomFS folder from the new folder I made back to the original PackHack folder (still just following someone elses steps blindly). Rebuilt the ROM and tried to test it both with and without the mods and it would just crash Citra.

Hopefully you caught what I was doing wrong or what I missed and once again appreciate the time you're taking to help. Also if there is a different way to go about it that might be simpler for someone to follow along I'll gladly try something different.
    Hey, it sounds like there are a lot of unnecessary steps in that guide (pk3DS makes automatic backups, so all those new folders aren't needed), and if it's using pack hack it's either outdated or just a bad guide. I've attached the old citra install guide I made for my USUM hacks to this post, which explains how to unpack a ROM and merge a hack into it, so I'd suggest giving that a try instead. You can ignore all the parts about editing the game update as that's only required for USUM. Follow part one and two of the guide, but stop at step seven in part 2 (i.e. don't rebuild the ROM). At that point you can make your changes with pk3DS. Then, update the hack's files with the randomized files you created. To do that, you need to copy two files from the unpacked ROM to the right place in the hack's folders; these are a/0/1/2 and DllField.cro ("a/0/1/2" is a file path in the romfs folder, so it's a file named "2" in a folder named "1" in another folder named "0" in the "a" folder). So what you need to do is this:
    • Open the extractedromfs folder in the unpacked ROM. Go to a/0/1 and copy the "2" file.
    • Go to "Wilting Y 2.66/Game Files/Legal version/luma/titles/0004000000055E00/romfs/a/0/1" in the hack's files.
    • Paste the "2" file you copied there.
    • Go back to the unpacked ROM's extractedromfs folder and copy the "DllField.cro" file.
    • Go to "Wilting Y 2.66/Game Files/Legal version/luma/titles/0004000000055E00/romfs in the hack's files.
    • Paste the "DllField.cro" file there.
    • The hack's files will now include your randomized wild and static encounters.
    After that, follow the hack's install guide to get your edited version of it working with citra. I'd strongly suggest doing it this way instead of rebuilding the ROM, as there are extra steps involved in that which have been problematic for a lot of people in the past.

Attachments

• OLD Citra Install Guide.pdf
      524.1 KB · Views: 23
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2021
    No new title screens yet, I'll probably add those with the next big update. Yeah, the restaurants in Lumiose have Blissey and Audino trainers for grinding during the main story, but XY has very little post game so I didn't give the post game restaurants grinding teams too.

Hey, it sounds like there are a lot of unnecessary steps in that guide (pk3DS makes automatic backups, so all those new folders aren't needed), and if it's using pack hack it's either outdated or just a bad guide. I've attached the old citra install guide I made for my USUM hacks to this post, which explains how to unpack a ROM and merge a hack into it, so I'd suggest giving that a try instead. You can ignore all the parts about editing the game update as that's only required for USUM. Follow part one and two of the guide, but stop at step seven in part 2 (i.e. don't rebuild the ROM). At that point you can make your changes with pk3DS. Then, update the hack's files with the randomized files you created. To do that, you need to copy two files from the unpacked ROM to the right place in the hack's folders; these are a/0/1/2 and DllField.cro ("a/0/1/2" is a file path in the romfs folder, so it's a file named "2" in a folder named "1" in another folder named "0" in the "a" folder). So what you need to do is this:
    • Open the extractedromfs folder in the unpacked ROM. Go to a/0/1 and copy the "2" file.
    • Go to "Wilting Y 2.66/Game Files/Legal version/luma/titles/0004000000055E00/romfs/a/0/1" in the hack's files.
    • Paste the "2" file you copied there.
    • Go back to the unpacked ROM's extractedromfs folder and copy the "DllField.cro" file.
    • Go to "Wilting Y 2.66/Game Files/Legal version/luma/titles/0004000000055E00/romfs in the hack's files.
    • Paste the "DllField.cro" file there.
    • The hack's files will now include your randomized wild and static encounters.
    After that, follow the hack's install guide to get your edited version of it working with citra. I'd strongly suggest doing it this way instead of rebuilding the ROM, as there are extra steps involved in that which have been problematic for a lot of people in the past.

My god thank you so much! I went through this and it was INFINITELY easier this time around. It didn't click with me what you were trying to explain until i got to the very end of your steps. So now instead of randomizing the game itself and rebuilding and going through these tedious steps, im simply taking the randomized files and replacing their counterparts in the hack files. That way I just play using the vanilla game and add on the hack files to get the changes I want.

I tested the starters and the wild encounters and can definitely say it worked. My only question is would you happen to know how to change the starters so you can see the randomized ones. For example when I went to go pick my starter, both the sprites and the names of the starters were the original starters (and I thought I screwed something up). Once i picked a starter i received the randomized one. This is more of a QoL thing I'm trying to solve since I can work around it by simply creating a save state prior to picking one of the three and check each starter individually. Besides that everything does seem fine, once i get to some trainers and the first gym i'll update you if everything works out.

Once again thanks so much for the help, this made my experience so much smoother and am super looking forward to playing!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    My god thank you so much! I went through this and it was INFINITELY easier this time around. It didn't click with me what you were trying to explain until i got to the very end of your steps. So now instead of randomizing the game itself and rebuilding and going through these tedious steps, im simply taking the randomized files and replacing their counterparts in the hack files. That way I just play using the vanilla game and add on the hack files to get the changes I want.

I tested the starters and the wild encounters and can definitely say it worked. My only question is would you happen to know how to change the starters so you can see the randomized ones. For example when I went to go pick my starter, both the sprites and the names of the starters were the original starters (and I thought I screwed something up). Once i picked a starter i received the randomized one. This is more of a QoL thing I'm trying to solve since I can work around it by simply creating a save state prior to picking one of the three and check each starter individually. Besides that everything does seem fine, once i get to some trainers and the first gym i'll update you if everything works out.

Once again thanks so much for the help, this made my experience so much smoother and am super looking forward to playing!
    No problem, I'm happy to help! This is more or less how I update and test the hack too, it's much easier than rebuilding the whole thing every time.

I'm not sure what you'd need to copy over to see the models of the randomized starters, but copying over the game text and story text files (not sure which is the right one to copy, so just copy both to be sure) should show their species at least. If you need a list of which file is which, pk3DS can show you. Go Options -> About GARCs and it'll bring up a list of the files it can edit.

Years
  • I wonder whether there is any way of editing the hack so as to remove the 721 feature? I'd rather play like that. If anyone could guide me to anywhere/explain how to do that and also edit the trainer's affected teams it'd be much appreciated. cheers

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So, I was looking The Battle Chateau, and I was wondering, if it was possible to make a overhaul about that facility, making better teams, levels, and things like that to the trainers in there.

I know gym leaders and e4 teams are VASTLY improved and they are super fun to battle (in fact I usually spend some time battle them every day) but the rest of the facility is "kinda vanilla" so I was wondering, if there are tools available to modify those trainers, and of course if you're thinking about that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I wonder whether there is any way of editing the hack so as to remove the 721 feature? I'd rather play like that. If anyone could guide me to anywhere/explain how to do that and also edit the trainer's affected teams it'd be much appreciated. cheers
    At that point you'd almost be making a whole new hack, so pk3DS is the best option. Shouldn't be too hard to find a guide for it, but here's a quick overview:
    • Get a clean ROM, preferably in 3DS or cxi format
    • Open pk3DS, go to Tools => Extract to extract the ROM
    • Merge the hack's files with the extracted ROM
    • Use pk3DS to open the extracted ROM files, make your changes
    • Copy any edited GARC files from the ROM into the hack's folders (there's a list of which file is which under Options => About GARCs)
    So, I was looking The Battle Chateau, and I was wondering, if it was possible to make a overhaul about that facility, making better teams, levels, and things like that to the trainers in there.

I know gym leaders and e4 teams are VASTLY improved and they are super fun to battle (in fact I usually spend some time battle them every day) but the rest of the facility is "kinda vanilla" so I was wondering, if there are tools available to modify those trainers, and of course if you're thinking about that.
    Yeah they're just regular trainers that can be edited with pk3DS, they're all lightly edited already (IIRC most of them had their levels increased by 5 and sometimes had some extra Pokemon added). They haven't been given major changes because writs that increase their levels override any custom movesets I give them, and the Chateau doesn't follow the story's level curve so it was hard to tell how strong they should be. The second round of gym leader rematches are post game only, so that's why they got proper teams. Editing trainers is something I'm unlikely to do at this point because there are so many different versions of the trainer Pokemon files (I think it's at 12 variations currently; standard, rebalanced and their Viola nerf versions, and four sets of insanity mode files for each version as well).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    At that point you'd almost be making a whole new hack, so pk3DS is the best option. Shouldn't be too hard to find a guide for it, but here's a quick overview:
    • Get a clean ROM, preferably in 3DS or cxi format
    • Open pk3DS, go to Tools => Extract to extract the ROM
    • Merge the hack's files with the extracted ROM
    • Use pk3DS to open the extracted ROM files, make your changes
    • Copy any edited GARC files from the ROM into the hack's folders (there's a list of which file is which under Options => About GARCs)

Yeah they're just regular trainers that can be edited with pk3DS, they're all lightly edited already (IIRC most of them had their levels increased by 5 and sometimes had some extra Pokemon added). They haven't been given major changes because writs that increase their levels override any custom movesets I give them, and the Chateau doesn't follow the story's level curve so it was hard to tell how strong they should be. The second round of gym leader rematches are post game only, so that's why they got proper teams. Editing trainers is something I'm unlikely to do at this point because there are so many different versions of the trainer Pokemon files (I think it's at 12 variations currently; standard, rebalanced and their Viola nerf versions, and four sets of insanity mode files for each version as well).

Damn that's really a lot of versions to think about. It's amazing all those versions and it's absolutely reasonable what you're saying haha. Okey, I'll take a look by myself and see if it's achievable for a total noob perspective.

BTW do you know if Writs use a different trainer list? Or it's just simple overwriting method? I'd love to make that facility a more competitive thing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Damn that's really a lot of versions to think about. It's amazing all those versions and it's absolutely reasonable what you're saying haha. Okey, I'll take a look by myself and see if it's achievable for a total noob perspective.

BTW do you know if Writs use a different trainer list? Or it's just simple overwriting method? I'd love to make that facility a more competitive thing.
    IIRC writs don't have separate lists, even though that would've been easy for GF to do. They just take the existing trainer, raise their Pokemon's levels and change their movesets to the default (i.e. the last four moves they'd learn by levelling up at that level). It basically makes them into wild Pokemon with slightly better AI. It shouldn't be too hard to make them more competitive, but you'd have to avoid the Chateau until post game if you did!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    IIRC writs don't have separate lists, even though that would've been easy for GF to do. They just take the existing trainer, raise their Pokemon's levels and change their movesets to the default (i.e. the last four moves they'd learn by levelling up at that level).

So the thing is reduced by two: you make writs to levelup to 100 and make 4 competitive moves to be learnt on 100; or make the whole Chateau without touching the Writs (if anyone wants to use them, welp , sorry). Damn, Lazy Freak at their peak it's right in there. That's so lame. I don't really get why they think about a lot of aspects, and replayability, post-game and those things that everyone loves about pokemon, they completely scrap.

Tbh I completely forgot the location of the Chateau haha. Because I'm at the postgame since almost 2018 (almost 200 hours played on Eternal X), that wasn't on my mind when I was thinking about how we can improve XY postgame at least a little bit. Putting legendaries throughout the game it's a good start, because forces the player to revisit every bit of the game if they want hunt legendaries. And doing some unique teams in the Chateau seemed a good idea. But I didn't remember that it's located BEFORE the 2nd badge lmao.

So in order to do that, it should be installed the "Competitive Chateau" after finishing the game, or put a warning you'll be roflstomped gtfo. I get it, it's a problematic on every aspect.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    So the thing is reduced by two: you make writs to levelup to 100 and make 4 competitive moves to be learnt on 100; or make the whole Chateau without touching the Writs (if anyone wants to use them, welp , sorry). Damn, Lazy Freak at their peak it's right in there. That's so lame. I don't really get why they think about a lot of aspects, and replayability, post-game and those things that everyone loves about pokemon, they completely scrap.

Tbh I completely forgot the location of the Chateau haha. Because I'm at the postgame since almost 2018 (almost 200 hours played on Eternal X), that wasn't on my mind when I was thinking about how we can improve XY postgame at least a little bit. Putting legendaries throughout the game it's a good start, because forces the player to revisit every bit of the game if they want hunt legendaries. And doing some unique teams in the Chateau seemed a good idea. But I didn't remember that it's located BEFORE the 2nd badge lmao.

So in order to do that, it should be installed the "Competitive Chateau" after finishing the game, or put a warning you'll be roflstomped gtfo. I get it, it's a problematic on every aspect.
    Yeah those are the only options sadly. It's not like GF doesn't know how to do proper rematch teams, they just didn't feel like it for whatever reason. I'm still disappointed they haven't had a battle frontier in any of the recent games, it would've been nice to play through one with a team that was bred or hyper trained instead of genned for once.

Wow that's a lot of play time for a hack, especially one with so little post game! I might be able to add actual gym and E4 rematches in the gyms and league at some point, so that'd be a start, but there's not really much else to do outside of editing the Maison.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Have you made Typhlosion and Meganium dual type in this hack like you did with Photonic Sun/Prismatic Moon?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah those are the only options sadly. It's not like GF doesn't know how to do proper rematch teams, they just didn't feel like it for whatever reason. I'm still disappointed they haven't had a battle frontier in any of the recent games, it would've been nice to play through one with a team that was bred or hyper trained instead of genned for once.

Wow that's a lot of play time for a hack, especially one with so little post game! I might be able to add actual gym and E4 rematches in the gyms and league at some point, so that'd be a start, but there's not really much else to do outside of editing the Maison.

Yeah, I'm building a team for Maison, and breeding to try some shinies (the no steps required is a game-changer lmao), and doing a National Dex with every pokemon in the PC (not only Venusaur, but Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur) and sometimes I like to train a pokemon on Chateau to see him in action in full 3d; and with all those things time flies by.

Here: take a look. The other 35 hours are between resets, and my SD got corrupted lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Have you made Typhlosion and Meganium dual type in this hack like you did with Photonic Sun/Prismatic Moon?
    Not yet; there are a lot of changes in PSPM that haven't been copied over to EXWY, but that'll be done when I get around to adding in the Sword and Shield movepool additions.
    Yeah, I'm building a team for Maison, and breeding to try some shinies (the no steps required is a game-changer lmao), and doing a National Dex with every pokemon in the PC (not only Venusaur, but Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur) and sometimes I like to train a pokemon on Chateau to see him in action in full 3d; and with all those things time flies by.

Here: take a look. The other 35 hours are between resets, and my SD got corrupted lol
    I did a lot of Maison and shiny breeding in XY too (all in vanilla though), wish I'd had no steps required when going for Beldum! At least the daycare route is good for mindlessly cycling back and forth lol.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I did a lot of Maison and shiny breeding in XY too (all in vanilla though), wish I'd had no steps required when going for Beldum! At least the daycare route is good for mindlessly cycling back and forth lol.

Yeah, I'm playing Rising Ruby made by Dray; and I'm seriosly thinking to change the steps thing to make it like EXWY and PSPM. I hate changing between funny breeding and mindless breeding lmao

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2021
    It's another year and I'm back to playing this hack, because it's great.

Here's a quality of life

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2021
    Hello again. Do you think Skrelp/Noibat deserves the same treatment as Pawniard/Mienfoo? All are two stage evolutions that evolves very late, in this case 48 for both Skrelp and Noibat. And believe it or not, Skrelp/Noibat has even less BST than Pawniard/Mienfoo, leading to a very painstaking run.

In this run I captured a Skrelp at level 24 and I have to carry it around for 24 more levels.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Yeah, I'm playing Rising Ruby made by Dray; and I'm seriosly thinking to change the steps thing to make it like EXWY and PSPM. I hate changing between funny breeding and mindless breeding lmao
    Might as well, pk3DS can change the steps needed for every Pokemon in one click and it's such a big QoL improvement. IMO we're way overdue for a key item that speeds up egg hatching.
    Hello again. Do you think Skrelp/Noibat deserves the same treatment as Pawniard/Mienfoo? All are two stage evolutions that evolves very late, in this case 48 for both Skrelp and Noibat. And believe it or not, Skrelp/Noibat has even less BST than Pawniard/Mienfoo, leading to a very painstaking run.

In this run I captured a Skrelp at level 24 and I have to carry it around for 24 more levels.
    Hey! Those two definitely need to evolve earlier; they already do in my USUM hack, but I didn't realize that change hadn't been brought over to EXWY yet. Once I've finished v1 of my Emerald hack I'll go through the 3DS ones and make sure the Pokemon changes are consistent between them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2020
    I'm having a problem where right clicking on the game does not bring up "Open Mods Location" is there another way to apply this hack?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'm having a problem where right clicking on the game does not bring up "Open Mods Location" is there another way to apply this hack?
    Yes, but it's a huge pain to deal with; you'd have to unpack the ROM, install the hack and rebuild it. This was the old method I recommended for Citra, but I don't support it anymore as there just too many things that can go wrong during the process. I'd suggest reinstalling Citra or trying to resolve the issue somehow first. If you can't get it to work there's a guide attached to a post a little further up this page that explains how to setup my USUM hack by building a cia file that you could follow. It's a similar process for EXWY, just skip anything involving the official game update.

EDIT: Actually just try running the game once. If you've never played it chances are Citra hasn't made any folders for it yet.

Last edited:
    Back