• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
  • Hey there! I'm here to report a game breaking bug

I'm using an Espeon with magic bounce in my team, and I tested this issue twice just to be sure. Certain moves like Fire fang and Lava Plume tend to trigger the text "Fire fang bounced off" or something along those lines. After that's done, the next Pokémon the opposing trainer sends out is a "bad egg" and that literally crashes my game.

Attachments

• Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)
      Screenshot_2020-04-11-23-14-04-010_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 29
    Years
  • i can't seem to open Blaine's Gym, when i try to open the door - it says it's locked. When i go to the Mansion and try to get the key, my character just acknowledges that it's Blaine's key but doesn't try to get it. The officer just asks me if i'm going to get the Volcano Badge legally and nothing if i say yes and just blitz on ahead if i beat him in a battle? Were we never intended to complete the Indigo League Challenge?
    Try using the crowbar to unlock any locked door.

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • Hey I just wanted to say congrats on full release. I wish you luck with your future endeavours and thanks for the hardwork you put into the hack! Cheers and have a good evening.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2020
    hi guys,this hack is brilliant,i finished the previous version not too long ago,now i wanted to play the final version the same way i did with the previous, using moemon patch and this hack,but this time around it crashes at the start,does someone knows a way to make it work?

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Aw man. Can't believe it's finally completed. I was gonna look into getting back into rom hacking myself but screw that for now. I'm gonna play this game instead lol. I don't care if my old save works or not, it's been so long. I'm starting from the beginning.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2021
    Of course the first shiny I've ever run into would be a wild Paras that I can't even catch...

Anyway, I played the beta on a whim and really enjoyed it. A++ characterisation from Ronnie all the way up to Giovanni and Blaine. I like how involved the protagonist (or maybe we're now an antagonist?) is; I actually felt like a Rocket grunt who has a clearly defined line of superiors.

The mechanic for stealing Pokemon was great and I'm really glad you went to the effort of including it. My only real critique of it is that the number of Pokemon you have rises rather quickly and most people aren't going to say no to a new Pokemon as long as it's a duplicate. There's no cost to stealing a Pokemon so I have no reason to continually do it. The official games at least have the cost of the Pokeball (however small that may be) and the time you spend trying to catch it (e.g. putting it to sleep and lowering its HP) as a cost but here you're simply given a Pokemon of your choosing after going through a mandatory Pokemon battle. It's kinda like how some people didn't like being straight up given a Lucario with a megastone in XY versus having to catch a Riolu and level it up in BW2.

I don't have any better ideas as to how you could potentially handle it instead, to be honest, but I thought I'd just offer my thoughts.

Overall, a very promising beginning. I particularly enjoyed the scene at the end and the little touches of finesse in there: Oak's past relationship with Giovanni being hinted at, the starters being warfare Pokemon (and suddenly making it entirely reasonable how a bunch of little kids manage to blast their way through all of TR's grunts in cannon), and Bill + Blaine being tied into the story. Getting completely wiped by Red was great too, I didn't expect the hack to go down that route as many similar ones normally shy away from introducing Red. I'm glad we didn't have to beat him to progress the story only for the game to continue on as if we lost (see: many DBZ games).

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is taken.

Thanks a lot; really appreciate the detailed feedback. Yeah, the stealing mechanic is just something I've thought for many years would just be super sick if it were used properly. Loved Colosseum and XD for that reason, but always thought it would be more fun if it was even less restrictive. I do see the need to temper it a bit after a while, though. Expect to see that in the next release.

Your shiny Paras story hurts my soul. You got a screenshot of it at least? Also, you kinda made me want to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2 again.

You almost definitely don't remember the post I made four years ago but I thought I'd just chime in and say congratulations on completing this. I don't post often but this hack deserves every bit of praise it gets.

The solution you found for the issue with the player acquiring too many stolen Pokemon was excellent- I appreciated being able to sell all the duplicates I caught. I found money a bit harder to come by early on than in the mainline games so this helped in that regard too. The mechanic with Lance's police officers is also great and offers further scope for replaying this.

I could tell when I first gave this hack a shot that there was something different about it but only after having played the completed version did it dawn on me just how special this one is. I was drawn to this because of the chance to play as a part of Team Rocket and the stealing mechanic but I also got to experience a master class in story telling. The way you worked with the source material, extended it and breathed new life into escalates this into the top two or three romhacks I've ever played. It truly felt like a lover letter to fans of the Kanto games. My only criticism is that I think things went a little off the rails with Oak at the end but I understand the need to give the story a climactic and satisfying conclusion.

I loved the little sprinkles of Johto and I have to say Victory Road and the little bit at the end got me excited. I would love to see a sequel to this set in Johto but I understand that would require a ridiculous amount of time and effort - I'd happily wait a decade to play it though. Even if a sequel is not on the cards, I will definitely be eagerly anticipating whatever you do next. This has set a new bar for romhacks on several levels (mechanics, storytelling, faith to the source material) and is the standard that all hacks should aspire to.

Congratulations, once again, and thank you for giving everyone the opportunity to live out the fantasy they had when grunt at the end of Nugget Bridge offered the player a chance to join Team Rocket.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I just restarted and finished this. And... I can't think of anything to say. Like, holy shit, that was bonkers, from start to finish. It's finally over. I've been stalking this page forever, eagerly waiting for an update, and I'm so happy it's here. This was a wild ride. Oh my god.

Spoilers inbound, I can't find the spoiler tag thingy, so if you don't wanna see em, don't read my comment.

I SAID SPOILERS INBOUND!!

The strange thing, is that I don't feel like a villain. That was the point of this hack, it was why i was interested in the first place. I mean, who doesn't want to play as a member of team rocket, right? But then something sort of changed, and I'm not sure where, or why. I can't call The player a villain, because they actually helped out quite a few times, and in important moments, but the rest of Kanto never saw it. Maybe were more of an anti-hero? (The ends justify the means, etc) I dunno. What a bittersweet ending. I love this so much.

And the whole thing with Red and Oak, I was shaking, dude. Like, "Oh god. Oh shit, this is really happening," And Ronnie actually came in clutch, haha. (Actually quite a few people (and a certain pokemon) came in clutch for us. It was wild. I was so hyped from start to finish. But I feel empty inside now, though, that everything is over. Also, where is Blue? I wanna see if the poor kid's okay. :( Let me see best boy, pls. He's too pure for this.

Also, fuck Professor Oak, I KNEW he was a dickhead. OOH. God, and I thought I hated Ronnie after the Daisy thing. BUT OH NO. I Didn't hate him. Not like this, anyway. But yeah, I called that shit. I mean, love what you did with his character, but at the same time, I want to see Oak die. He still surprised me, though. Dude went flat out ape shit, I loved it. I also stole one of his Pokemon, it was worth it lmao. But man, he was wild. And the music here was all top notch. My hands were all sweaty the whole time. Oh, and the lab was amazing.

If Red was anything to go by, I'm guessing the Professor's "children" are gonna be kinda like the Ackermann clan from Attack on Titan. That's how I see it, anyway. They're insanely OP and skilled as hell because of their unique genetics, but basically slavs, or parasites to specific people, even if that's not what they themselves would want. Theyre good at anything they try. Hell, they get stronger each generation, too. It totally fits, right? (I still feel bad, though. It's not Red's fault, at the end of the day. I wonder if he knows anything else, probably not. I wonder if he meant to kill, or even knows he killed Blue's Raticate. I'm mixed when it comes to him.) But my son, Blue! You made me like him more, actually. How'd you do it?

Will there ever be a part two? Seems like it, if that last cutscene was anything to go by.

Years
  • Just started playing through this and let me just say that so far (I'm still at S.S. Anne btw), this game is nuts in terms of scripted events and storyline and whatnot. I hadn't been used to cutscenes being that long in a Pokemon Romhack so it was a fresh new surprise. Here's hoping the writing stays solid all throughout.

Easy 10/10 HOTY nominee imo.

dest

Boneash
    Years
  • I finished it now, my last feedback still stands overall.
    The underground lab was something really well done, in my opinion the highlight of this hack. Just wow, better than any story or area in other pokemon games so far.

After the grunt announced to give me the ultimate reward and doesn't have anything else I decided: Might as well pay off everything now and see if the police is going to give me the stuff now. Especially after discovering you wont get Earthquake othervise...
    And yes, I was quite surprised to get everything from everyone after I paid that off. That was easy and I had lots of money to spare even. I mean, as soon as I had access to Balls I did what I always do, fill every unused slot on my team up with pickup mons^^
    Since I got a False Swipe Scyther at the Game Corner directly before that it was very easy, the most use of that move I've ever gotten. I basicly played until starting the gyms with just Vaporeon and Scyther/Scizor or Haunter/Gengar (depending on the area) and 4 Pickup slaves. All the Nuggets, Rare Candies and PP Ups (along the other Vitamins you find along the way, about 3-4 each) I got out of that and the time I spend to get 2 other Party members later on par with those 3 got me to about 370k by the time we got promoted the last time, easily enough money... and even had 150k to spare while giving up some extra duplicate mons. And I don't regret raising those extra mons, at least Aerodactyl and Life Orb Gengar got me through that really well. Especially the former one in the last scenes.

Speaking of Life Orb, I don't think that thing is working too well. I never lost any life while using it... so for me, Life Orb is just a free damage boost without the life cost. Not sure if it was because I basicly one shot everything with Gengar...
    And while Cinnebar is messed up you shouldn't enter any building, else the game seems to crash when exiting that... Black screen with a high pitched sound.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2020
    First of all, Thankyou ! I have been waiting for years and it really exceeded my expectation !
    The way you add those tiny little details, and fulfilled the conspiracies,you sir are a genius! you really amped up the nostalgia.
    If anyone handed me this copy of pokemon i would have thought this is an official one, it does not played like any other romhacks

*Spoileralert*

I have a question, for a sidequest involving cooltrainer Julien after the cycling road arc.. is there any more of him or is it the end of the quest?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2020
    Hi all, for some reason I am not able to save my game. The save function built into the game does not work and the Save option for VBA does not save my states. When I start the game I get an error that says the "1-M circuit board is not installed" ?

Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated as I am excited to play this hack. :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2020
    Hey, having a really fun time with the rom so far, but for some reason after I become admin my battle sprite doesn't show, was wondering if this was a common issue?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2023
    Hey, your hack is pretty awesome, such a simple yet fine quality for a fan-made room and its story is really enjoyable to play.

Btw, are there any ways to get lucky egg in this hack?

And, can Tangela evolved into Tangrowth?

Years
    • Seen today
    Have you read the previous post? You can get pokemons from gen 1 and 2!

Also, how we can fight the elite 4 in the post game? Maybe adding more things could be interesting.

Back