• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2021
    Hi colonelsalt , can you pls help me with the save file?? Previously I was playing on beta 3 and now I downloaded 1.0 the latest version.. But I can't get my old beta 3.0 save file. How to get the beta 3.0 save file in version 1.0 .....plsss help ..
    BTW good ROM hack. Just loved it .. Pls reply fast

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2021
    i encounter a problem with the rom hack, i successfully patched the file but now my emulater is saying that its not a valid file and that its the wrong file type what do i do to fix it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Made an account just to say how good this rom is. I used to play a ton of roms but quit in 2016-17, watching HeroVoltsy's Top 10 and seeing this specific Rom has sparked an old flame. Honestly, you did an amazing job - it is by far top three and I'm currently grinding ⚆ _ ⚆. Also, I feel bad for Ronnie and I hope the community for this rom is still somewhat alive.

Edit: The story is also amazing, Yall fr did a good job

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2021
    Content warning: Homophobia and transphobia.

Hey ColonelSalt, I immensely enjoyed your game. You and your team did a great job! I especially loved how popular pokemon fan theories were seamlessly woven into the story. That said, I do have one point of criticism that I would like to address.

There is one specific Rocket grunt that at the beginning of the game refers to jigglypuff as "gay little pokemon". When you meet him again at the end of the game he tells you that he has revised his stance and that he no longer believes in his past bigotry of thinking that jigglypuff were "gay little pokemon"... but that some are "trannies" instead. I really wonder why this was included in the game. This character doesn't add to the gang vibe of team rocket, as was suggested by an earlier person in the thread. Team rockets members barely swear and speak the same way as any other NPC in the game, whether they are gang-affiliated or not. It really is just a single character that openly uses a slur, a slur that doesn't help build any context for team Rocket's image as gangsters. The inclusion of the word "tranny" only accomplishes turning some people off from your game that could have otherwise been supporting fans, and needlessly hurting some players for a lousy joke.

My suggestion to improve upon this is to change this character's dialogue. You could simply remove the punchline with the slur. That way, this character actually has some genuine growth from the beginning of the game, revising his previously bigoted sense of stereotyping sexual preferences and gender identities. However, some people might already be turned off at the beginning of the game by hearing a character carelessly refer to something as "gay" for an insult, so another recommendation is to just remove all the dialogue related to this point.

I would like to end positively. I clearly stuck with the game and loved what you have created, and I would love to see a part 2, just as most everyone in this thread! Please take this criticism as constructive, I feel like this was genuinly just a misplaced joke, and that no ill-intent was present. You're a really talented fan-game maker and hope this dialogue issue can be resolved with a small patch or updated version.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2022
    beatifull and very funny hacks, compliments.. i have a question... i have cattured the "leggendary" in the story line, after that i need to go to the lab of prof oak in pallet town but is locked? what i miss for unlock it?
    Spoiler:

Years
  • beatifull and very funny hacks, compliments.. i have a question... i have cattured the "leggendary" in the story line, after that i need to go to the lab of prof oak in pallet town but is locked? what i miss for unlock it?
    Spoiler:

You need to use the crowbar that Giovanni gave you at Silph Co.

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • (I like to make games. One of the things I don't is getting involved in arguments and drama. I'm only writing the following to provide context for an update in the main post; if you're here for fun discussion about Rocket Edition, I encourage you to ignore this and skip ahead.)

Earlier in this thread, a user expressed some concern about an optional line of (disputably) humorous dialogue that occurs late in the game, and recommended removing it. This is a perfectly valid opinion that I'm sure some players will concur with. Immediately following this came two posters who strongly disagreed with that assessment and defended the line, both of whom gathered several likes on their posts.

The last two posts were then removed by a moderator on the basis that they were "unrelated to the main post/discussion". Why these two players' opinions were any less valid or "unnecessary" than the post they were replying to is something I'll leave to cleverer people to decipher. But this did have the fortuitous effect of erasing from view that at least some players had a different opinion of the joke, and of discouraging others from discussing it further (lest their point of view should prove equally "unnecessary").

I was then contacted by a moderator and informed that a report had been filed against Rocket Edition concerning the line in question, and told to remove it immediately or have the game taken down from Pokecommunity. A joke is never funny when you explain it, but I politely argued that the line was cultural satire - not the bigoted quip I felt it had been portrayed as. This was to no avail.

So: An updated patch of Rocket Edition (v1.0.1) has been put in the main post, replacing the previous "Rocket Edition Final Release" link. Nothing has changed except a single line of dialogue. Graciously, I was still allowed to keep the link to the original patch in a demoted spot in the main post, should you wish to play that instead.

Personally, I think players themselves are best equipped to judge whether or not they find something offensive, and don't need to be protected from words by capricious authorities. But I'm following the directions I was given.

In a game centred around theft and gang violence, it stands to reason that it should be a single NPC's choice of words that would do my players most harm - oh, if only I had known!

(That marks the end of my involvment in this discussion - let's not have any hard feelings directed personally at any of the people involved or stir this up further, whichever way your opinion sways. If you need encouragement to that end: There are Rocket Edition updates coming very soon...)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hi all.

I have deleted more posts (or am about to), both for and against the removal of the line of dialogue. Please keep your posts on topic of the game itself, rather than personal beliefs, whether you feel people are too sensitive, if a joke means the person is transphobic, etc. This especially applies to untasteful comments made about other members here.

We appreciate the removal and your understanding on it, colonelsalt. I'm leaving your post up, but I will point out that regardless of intent or lack thereof, the dialogue did receive reports, and we have a duty to our members to consider and, if necessary, act on such reports. In this case, regardless of intent of the dialogue, the mods and admins discussed and agreed that the report had merit, and so we made the request to change the one line of dialogue.

On this specifically:
    The last two posts were then removed by a moderator on the basis that they were "unrelated to the main post/discussion". Why these two players' opinions were any less valid or "unnecessary" than the post they were replying to is something I'll leave to cleverer people to decipher. But this did have the fortuitous effect of erasing from view that at least some players had a different opinion of the joke, and of discouraging others from discussing it further (lest their point of view should prove equally "unnecessary").
    I was not the moderator in question so will not speak too much on their behalf, but I will briefly comment. One post I can acknowledge could have been left up, even if it didn't add much to the recent discussion. The other however disrespected another member, and so has no right to be undeleted.

Lastly, I will state that PC staff collectively do not condone any content that involves transphobia, insulting other members, etc. As the top of our rules page states:
    We expect you to be respectful to other members. We do not tolerate bigotry, including, but not exclusive to, racism, homophobia, and transphobia. Do not troll, harass, or attack other members.

If you (a general 'you' reading this post) would like to discuss further, then please send me a PM - but let's not derail the thread. Any further posts about this - now resolved - original report will be deemed off-topic.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2021
    Request: Make Zubat and Golbat able to Learn Fly
    I know this is marked as completed, but is there a way we can edit the code to make it so that Zubat and Golbat can learn fly?
    I've been trying to roleplay using Rocket-like pokemon, and was disappointed to learn that they cannot learn Fly unless you get the pokedex first, which is much later in the story from what I've heard.

Years
    • Seen today
    Request: Make Zubat and Golbat able to Learn Fly
    I know this is marked as completed, but is there a way we can edit the code to make it so that Zubat and Golbat can learn fly?
    I've been trying to roleplay using Rocket-like pokemon, and was disappointed to learn that they cannot learn Fly unless you get the pokedex first, which is much later in the story from what I've heard.

Hello!

Zubat and Golbat can't learn fly, yes, but Crobat does and you can evolve it without getting a pokedex (Which we don't get) by raising its, like in vanilla, friendliness. You don't really get a pokedex as far as i am aware. If you want to do it with a vanilla rocket grunt team then you would have to grind lil Zubat to Golbat and then Crobat. Just feed it every EV Item you find like Iron and that shouldn't be that far away once it becomes a golbat.

Have a good day.

So I can't play this on my phone can i?

Hello!

If you patch it correctly and use an emulator I don't see why you would be unable to play it on phone. There are many playing it on phone as far as i am aware.

Have a good day.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2021
    Hi!!
    I am having a problem and couldn't seem to find any other comment about it. After raiding the shop in viridian, and selling stolen pokemons for the first time in viridian gim, when I go down to get to pallet town the game just freezes and stops working... any solution? I absolutely love the hack and really want to finish it, thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    I love this game, but i have a problem.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2021
    Made an account on here just to review this incredible hack.
    The story is unbelievable, such an incredible twist on the original Pokemon Fire Red game, that takes elements from HeartGold/SoulSilver.
    Progressing up the ranks and reaping the rewards is very satisfying, and makes sense within the story.
    The creator has an intensive level of Pokemon lore, including popular fan theories, and creepypasta to add an extra layer of spice to the game.
    The challenge the game presents is constantly keeping you on your toes, the fights without hours of excessive training present you with a challenge you can't simply bash through with a highly leveled Pokemon (Especially at the conclusion of the story). The end game is lacking in content, and playing after the conclusion of the story has little to no reward or reason. Perhaps an endgame where you steal a pokedex from a trainer, and elite four becoming playable will fix this. The game includes scenes which may catch you by surprise with guilt, but if you're not prepared to steal a pidgey out of the hands of a crying child, this is not the game for you. I appreciate the authenticity in personalities too, with the admins acting how you would come to know them as an example of such relevant behaviors, you also have team rocket grunts acting like aggressive rude thugs, and not politically correct showing that not all of team Rocket is glamorous. I found this a clever way of showing the good and bad within both sides and how everything and everyone is not all black and white.
    The game also has included a variety of side quests, and a karma system allowing good and bad decisions to impact you while playing through the story and their own specific rewards (however this is very minor and has no impact on the end game once the story is complete).
    A issue I encountered, was attempting to use a save state to save my game. It causes crashes and you can/will lose your progress up to that point, do not go down this route under any circumstances. Save the game the same way you would naturally within the game and you wont have this issue.
    The ending credit song a custom soundtrack of Team Rocket's Rocket, played through the sounds a GBA could play filled me with joy.
    Overall I rate a 9.5/10 An incredible must play game for all fans of Team Rocket, and the darker side of Pokemon. (in my recommendation to be played in the uncensored state) where the only spot for improvement could be to do with the endgame.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2021
    This hack is amazing but i got 2 crashes

everytime a magnemite or magnetone does flash canon the game crashes for me on mgba, is this the emulator fault or its a know bug? im nearing the elite four now btw, amazing work.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    This game is absolutely awesome. I love the dialogue that ensues when you actually defeat Red at Mt. Moon. I used cheats to do it, and it was hilarious. I can't wait for the next update. 1 suggestion, if this hasn't been implemented yet, if you're not planning to use the Sevii Islands, which I hope you are planning to use, but if by some chance you're not, maybe put the Move Reminder in Fuchsia with the Move Deleter

Where can we find the move relearner in this ROM? Not sure if it's possible in this mode given the new narrative and story. Thanks!

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Time flies when you're locked down, and it appears today marks a year since the "final" release of Rocket Edition. Though this was inadvertently spoiled on Discord recently, I figure this is a good time to officially announce that a complete revamp of the game is in the works!

This will feature (amongst a ton of other things) a much more involved battling and stealing system, streamlined mechanics and an expanded postgame. Gen IV evolutions and randomiser support will be added by popular demand, and veteran players will be pleased to hear that there'll be features to speed through cutscenes and more monotonous battles built in to the game. Oh yes, and the long-awaited female playable character shall make her debut (currently pending whether a talented pixel artist is up to drawing her well).

As such, I've added back a #suggestions channel on our Discord server, so if you've thought of a cool mechanic that you think would add to the game, feel free to chime in here. (With the pre-warning that plot ideas will most likely be ignored.) I'll get around to posting more regular mini-updates in there (as I did leading up to the last release) presently...

I have been pondering whether or not to do another update of the game or not over the past year, but seeing the massive developments that have happened in decompiling the Gen III Pokémon games during that time have made me unable to resist. Since this has essentially opened up everything the GBA is capable of doing, I think we've only seen the beginning of the clever new things ROM hackers will be able to come up with in the time to come -- and I'd like Rocket Edition to be a part of that.

Also, to respond to assorted queries that have popped up in the thread: The move relearner is in Fuschia City, the game plays best on VBA-M (Windows) and MyBoy (Android) and Flash Cannon is a glitchy move at the moment - I'm sorry. ;O

Back