• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hmm... I thought that Pyroar and Meowstic were the only two Pokemon that had gender differences in X/Y? Then again, I still haven't beaten it, so I may have missed a few.

I do like when the gender differences are easily noticeable though. Pyroar, Meowstic, Jellicent and Hippowdon are good examples, and easily identified as male/female. Then you get those like Blaziken, Croagunk and Tangrowth, who you wouldn't notice the difference on unless you looked it up. I guess there are many animal species like that in real life, but I always enjoy unique things like that in Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nah, I like pokémon who don't have noticeable gender differences too. Not a big fan of Pikachu's heart tail, for example. Or Sneasel's very small ear-feather-thingy for females.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I also am not a fan of the female Pikachu tail, and still don't really like it. It seemed like the odd addition to introduce to such a well-established Pokémon line canonically, even after the whole 'here's Pichu' addition in gen 2.

My favourite gender difference is how Wobbuffet has lipstick on the female version, given how silly that is. Especially given the whole 'tail is the Pokémon and the blue part is just a decoy bag' deal... so how do they get the lipstick hiding out in caves? ._.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I also am not a fan of the female Pikachu tail, and still don't really like it. It seemed like the odd addition to introduce to such a well-established Pokémon line canonically, even after the whole 'here's Pichu' addition in gen 2.

My favourite gender difference is how Wobbuffet has lipstick on the female version, given how silly that is. Especially given the whole 'tail is the Pokémon and the blue part is just a decoy bag' deal... so how do they get the lipstick hiding out in caves? ._.

Wobbuffet saw an approaching male Jynx and used it's decoy bag to take the gross kisses, then it destiny bonded him straight to hell.

Years
  • I know it's annoying how most gender differences tend to be a certain body part being bigger or smaller. It was nice to see that some recent generations wanted to make them more drastic, like examples that Jamais mentioned earlier like Pyroar, Frillish/Jellicent, Meowstic, Unfezant and Hippowdon. In fact, in the case with Hippowdon the reason females are dark grey as opposed to males being brown is based on the fact female hippos are darker than the males. Funnily enough, Hippopotas' color scheme is inverted between genders.

My fave gender difference of all-time has to be Meowstic's. The movepool and hidden ability difference was something fresh and different.

I still don't get why female Pikachu has that "heart" tail. It looks weird compared to the male's which is way more fitting.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Oh my goodness. The female Pikachu. They messed up so much on that that I just wanna make a personal letter addressed to GameFreak complaining about how bad they managed to make of a design. But aside from Pikachu getting their tails mutilated, most gender differences are actually very well made and it doesn't make to much of a problem.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I know it's annoying how most gender differences tend to be a certain body part being bigger or smaller. It was nice to see that some recent generations wanted to make them more drastic, like examples that Jamais mentioned earlier like Pyroar, Frillish/Jellicent, Meowstic, Unfezant and Hippowdon. In fact, in the case with Hippowdon the reason females are dark grey as opposed to males being brown is based on the fact female hippos are darker than the males. Funnily enough, Hippopotas' color scheme is inverted between genders.
    I prefer it that way. Having every Pokémon with blatant gender differences would make the trait less valuable and I'm sure that it would require a lot of creativity to produce gender differences like Jellicent's. Pokémon like Pyroar are easy to create gender differences because irl lions have that obvious contrast.

My fave gender difference of all-time has to be Meowstic's. The movepool and hidden ability difference was something fresh and different.
    Outside of design (Jellicent takes the cake), I agree with you. It's cool how they learn different moves and are almost like two separate Pokémon in one species. I bet Nidoran and family would've had the same fate if they were Kalos Pokémon.

I still don't get why female Pikachu has that "heart" tail. It looks weird compared to the male's which is way more fitting.
    The heart tail took away the lightning bolt effect that added a lot to Pikachu's design :\ Being the mascot Pokémon, I'm sure that it was destined to have a noticeable gender difference and that was the best thing that GF could come up with...

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
    Years
  • It bugged me when I looked through the D/P/PT Dex that only a handful of pokemon where noticeably different. I liked femme Pikachu's heart tail, just cause lol...cute, but never used one personally

Years
  • Remember these guys?

Spoiler:

I'd rather the tail have looked like that (though I'm unsure if that's a gender difference, scar from a fight, or just differences in design among Pikachu) instead of a heart but the current design doesn't bother me too much. I mean, c'mon, Pikachu is adorable haha.

But as far as Pyroar goes I reaaaally prefer the male. Just want to snuggle its fluffy mane!

Years
  • Remember these guys?

Spoiler:

I'd rather the tail have looked like that (though I'm unsure if that's a gender difference, scar from a fight, or just differences in design among Pikachu) instead of a heart but the current design doesn't bother me too much. I mean, c'mon, Pikachu is adorable haha.

Yeah I would have liked that better than the heart tail, in fact it's not just Pikachu that has a heart-shaped body part if it's a female... Heracross does too, with its horn being shorter and having a heart-shaped top on a female. In fact, there are some cases where I prefer one gender over the other solely based on the physical differences. I know for sure that if I want to catch a Heracross, Pikachu or Wobbuffet it has to be the male. I just find female Wobbuffet's lipstick very stupid.

Oh, and maybe Cacturne too. That big diamond on the female's body looks really out-of-place compared to the smaller diamonds on its body.

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
    Years
  • It would be kinda nice to see different color or markings varied on region now. It's plausible and can be done with all the things they do with the 3DS

Years
  • It would be kinda nice to see different color or markings varied on region now. It's plausible and can be done with all the things they do with the 3DS

Yeah, and we got one in the form of Vivillon.

I remember when I saw all those different wing patterns getting leaked via screenshots by players who bought X and Y early and no-one knew what determined the differences in the wing patterns until it turned out that the 3DS region settings was what determined Vivillon's appearance.

I definitely want to see more form differences like Vivillon's. A lot of the recent generations are showing how many new concepts we are getting in both form differences and even evolution methods.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind seeing different wing patterns with Butterfree too. Like in the cartoon. Maybe even certain pokemon with thicker fur from chillier regions or something, then you can trim them up later

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    They could do this with all butterfly Pokémon, to be honest, and not just Butterfree. If they do, though, wouldn't that take some value away from Vivillon? xD" One of the major reasons why this is so popular at the moment is because of its various forms; they make it unique. If there were more butterflies like that with different colors and patterns, people would start paying less attention to it. However, I wouldn't really mind if they winded up getting mega-evolution, as it's sort of different.

Years
  • We're talking about Vivillon? Where's my fantastically magical avatar when you need it?!

One Pokemon I wish they would've capitalized on with some different forms is Arbok. Pokedex entires from the first gen games talked about how Arbok's patterns differed depending on the region, and that there were at least 6 confirmed patterns. Fast forward to the sixth gen games, and while we've seen three different designs, they can't be transferred across generations. It'd be nice if Arbok from Kanto, Johto, etc. would all stick with their unique design, rather than reverting to the default sprite of the game they're in.

Shadow Sneak Sableye

Bright Beauty ♥
    Years
  • I don't see how it would take away from other pokemon, all insects are unique around us as it is. It wouldn't matter much through, as not many use bug pokemon that aren't Scyther or Heracross

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Bug-types may not be used very often as much as other Pokémon, but at least they are still used, though, nonetheless, so that's all it matters. Volcarona would have to be one of my most favorite. When battling, all you have to do is set up one Quiver Dance. After that, it should be ready for sweeping in an instant. :] I've used Volcarona in plenty of my matches, and it had never failed me. Alongside, I'm also quite a big fan of Genesect. If used correctly, you should be able to take down plenty of your opponent's Pokémon with it. In terms of looks, I'm pretty fond of Scizor. I just love its ninja-like design. Its mega form looks okay, but not as good as its original.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back