• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal 2.0 finally get a public release!

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2023
    That's contradictory because you make a hack adding the things that are in gen IV games but in those game there were PSS, so the thing about being "official" it's just a pretext and even if it were not for that, what's the problem with putting PSS even if it is not "official"? I mean, are you pretending to sell the game? The idea in general of the hack is good but it wouldn't hurt to add a few more extra things that aren't in the original games to make the hack more enjoyable like the PSS, extra post-game content like for example making a battle build in vermillion city where the old man was constructing with his machoke. Nowadays the first thing I ask when I see a hack is if it has PSS when it is not mentioned in the features, if the answer is no and there's no plan of adding it I completely lose all interest in it and lots of people think the same way

I disagree. I love the aspect of making the game the way the developers originally intended. It's HG/SS for GBC and it's awesome.
    It's like less of a rom hack and more of a rom restoration

Halfshadow

Sono italiano/I'm italian.
    Years
  • I love your work and I'm also supporting some of these requests, maybe as a seperate patch?

> 251 pokémon obtainable.
    > Trade simulation npc for trade evolutions instead of stones or level-up evolution method.
    > TM dealer npc so we can buy as much as we want and build competitive pokémons.
    > DV checker on pokémon profiles.

Questions:
    1. Do we get all three Kanto starters after we defeat Red?
    2. Have you added Omanyte and Kabuto fossils?
    3. Is there a way to get more evolution stones other than vanilla methods or injecting with save editor?
    4. Have you restored Japanese uncensored sprites?
    5. Would you consider restoring Japanese Goldenrod Pokécom Center? It can be useful for trade evolution simulator if you decide to do it.
    6. Have you restored unfinished house in Olivine City?
    7. Is there a way to collect all home decorations? Most of them unlocked by mystery gifts, any solutions to that?

I'm slowly playing in bgb and enjoying the nostalgia, i'll post here if I encounter any bugs.

After defeat Red you can choose 1 of the 3 Kanto starters exactly like in HG/SS.

The fossils are "available" trading Brick piece, Silver and Gold leaf with a guy in the Science Museum and this will instantly revive them from the fossils.

The evolution stones would be available in the Safari Zone house (not the entrance) in the centre of Fuchsia City after you obtained all 4 by Bill's Grandpa in the Route 25.

Nope, the sprites remain the same.

Nope, I don't restore the pokécom center 'cause would be very useless, without the network connections.

Nope, 'cause that house don't exist in HG/SS.

The decorations that need of connect 2 games together remain the same exactly like the need of linking to obatin all the 251 pokémons and to obtain their evolutions.

This want to be a restoration to finish the original programmed work and then I don't want to add other cheating features.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I see 2.0 as more the one that you flash to your actual cartridges or a cheap repro, as opposed to a flashcart. I hate to be the echo as I respect Halfshadow's intent here, but on a flashcart you can't really expect to trade all the time unless you have a second cart handy, or you'd rather just bring your save files up to an emulator (or I guess cheat). 2.0 is about as natrual of an evolution from the originals as you can get, and that's a pretty neat goal!

One note about the uncensored sprites: as this wasn't actually made using the disassembly, you should be able to use the simple uncensored patches found on RHDN. I haven't tried yet however. You should actually be able to just use Swampert Tools on it too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • How Mew is obtainable? Anyway, THIS is the perfect "hack", compatible with official games. So I use it to import my Pokemon to Stadium 2. You are a legend sir, thank you for this, exactly what I need! :-)

Halfshadow

Years
  • How Mew is obtainable? Anyway, THIS is the perfect "hack", compatible with official games. So I use it to import my Pokemon to Stadium 2. You are a legend sir, thank you for this, exactly what I need! :-)
    Is a sort of easter egg. But maybe you could try to search where the scientist cloned Mewtwo... Isn't catchable however, to keep pokémon bank compatibility. It would keep GF OT.

Years
  • I really like your hack. Crystal is my favorite game. Unfortunately, the Kanto in Crystal was unfinished, but you fixed it. Thank you! Also check out my hack: Crystal Advance :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2021
    Hey I installed Silver 2.0 right after I collected all 16 Badges. Did I miss out on the Silver License because I can't find Zapdos at the Power Plant and every time I go back to Oak he just rates my Pokedex. Also, is Moltres in the exact same place he's in in HG/SS? Because I've looked pretty hard in Mt. Silver and I can't find its cave anywhere. Everything else works great though!

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2023
    I wanted to try this, but got turned off by the spelling and grammar mistakes. You can actually see them in the screenshots in first post "SEAFOM ISLANDS" "ESC" "CATCHPOKEMON". And it seems like there's more than just that. HalfShadow have you thought about having someone proofread your script changes?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    I think this is a pretty good patch, and it should make sense for Kanto to keep all the areas that were cut in GSC. My guess on why the developers cut those areas were so that the players are forced to rely on the Time Machine obtain most of the Kanto Pokemon (most notably the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo, Mew, and the Starters), and what explain Viridian Forest would of been limitations.

Also, is it just me, or I couldn't seem to buy Hyper Potions and Ultra Balls after beating the 6th Gym, and are Super Repels non-existent until Cerulean City? Other than that, I think the patch would of be even better if most of the Johto Pokémon that were introduced such as Houndour, Mistreavus, and Larvitar were found in Johto instead of Kanto like how this patch did it with Crystal, and if the missing melody of the Kanto Trainer theme was restored too. Someone on youtube made a video where they fixed the song. I couldn't find it at the moment but here's what I mean.

I couldn't give any other feedback on this, but in my opinion, I wish this was REALLY the version of GSC that Nintendo should of re-released on virtual console.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2021
    Hello / Ciao Halfshadow,

Wow, your hack is awesome ! I wanted this from long time. I'm french, I would love to have them in french language too from my french GSC roms, but i understand that it would be hard for you, however I want at least to add the three missing Kanto musics restored from HGSS GB Sounds. You have done a great work to make them already in two languages.

Also, i would suggest few minor music changes that i've done using G2Map tool :
    - Use "Route 1" theme in Route 2 like RBY instead "Route 3" one like HGSS
    - Use any music in Cinnabar Mansion instead silent. Using "Team Rocket HQ" like Crystal Clear would be a good choice to fit this zone, or my other idea is to reuse RBY theme but only wave and maybe channel 2 and slow down it to make it fitting the fact it's ruin (similar to N's Castle in B2W2).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    it would be good if it was compatible with full restoration patches for gold/silver/crystal the patch worked fine but soon as i got to sprout tower i noticed that sage sprite is glitched

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    This hack looks promising. Is there any improvement that you personally wanted in this game? I would like to see viewable DV on Pokemon status screen.

Halfshadow

Years
  • Hey I installed Silver 2.0 right after I collected all 16 Badges. Did I miss out on the Silver License because I can't find Zapdos at the Power Plant and every time I go back to Oak he just rates my Pokedex. Also, is Moltres in the exact same place he's in in HG/SS? Because I've looked pretty hard in Mt. Silver and I can't find its cave anywhere. Everything else works great though!
    Have you started it from the beginning with this rom or you continued a pre existing savegame with the clean rom? I tested it a lot of times and everything you reported worked.

Halfshadow

Years
  • I wanted to try this, but got turned off by the spelling and grammar mistakes. You can actually see them in the screenshots in first post "SEAFOM ISLANDS" "ESC" "CATCHPOKEMON". And it seems like there's more than just that. HalfShadow have you thought about having someone proofread your script changes?
    To be honest I wrote it like I could, I'm italian and often I write without use a translator, but I'm not so good with grammar.

There are other errors? If you report me all ones I'll fix certainly.

Halfshadow

Years
  • pokemon mansion haven,t appeared on map
    Shouldn't indeed. You can reach it only by TELEPORT on Pweter museum and the Pokégear doesn't show the location when you go into to make suspance, but if you open it you can see that you are into also if isn't reachable in the TOWN MAP normally, I did it purposely.
    and how i get it
    You have to obtain all the 8 Kanto badges and go to Oak, like in retail G/S/C HG/SS. After the 8 badges Oak unlock the Silver license to go to Silver Cave and like in HG/SS in my hack you unlock the birds too. And the mansion.

Back