• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    no its not similar. bulbasaur doesnt have 80 defense at the start, and charmander is never really good for the rest of the game (dont need charmander for erika when gen1 has an OP type).

nice ad hominem.

you (and neither the developer) still have not touch the point that egg or growlithe have it very easy and do not have to use a potion, while staryu is forced to. it doesnt matter if staryu is great in the few gyms or not, its bad that the VERY FIRST fight necessitates a potion use from the player simply because he/she choses a certain arbitrary option. Its the essence of balance design im talking about here. i have played many harder hacks and have never been forced to use a potion right at the start before. what if the player wants to go for a no item usage gameplay rule? so hes locked out of staryu or have to abuse save states to get staryu to win? nice design

I just ran a test to see how unfair it was. I won 8 out of 10 battles by using Harden followed by repeating Tackle. I don't think there is a glaring a design flaw here.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    your staryu has high DV and/or egg has weak DV.
    also i think 10 battles is not enough due to high variance of barrage rng

edit: i tried 10 battles with harden first +tackle,no potions and only won twice

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    your staryu has high DV and/or egg has weak DV.
    also i think 10 battles is not enough due to high variance of barrage rng

I agree with both of those statements, but in my opinion, there isn't a design flaw. It is nuzlocke mode, after all. It's supposed to require strategy and whatnot.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    I agree with both of those statements, but in my opinion, there isn't a design flaw. It is nuzlocke mode, after all. It's supposed to require strategy and whatnot.

chossing staryu
    battle strategy
    "resetting many saves to win or forced to use potion"

choosing egg
    battle strategy
    "LOL 80 defense cant touch me plus i keep my potion easy"

ok.

difficulty is when i put sonicboomers/dragon ragers in the first 2 gyms (and i would not complain even if you do that in your hack), but this isn't difficulty, its just making a particular choice tedious for nothing.

both starmie and egg are very good in the lategame btw

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I love the Sonic music! Nice touch ;)
    Thanks for this awesome ROM hack, man! :D

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

I don't have any updates on Maize Version, since I've been working hard on the Pokemon Pinball disassembly. Currently, I'm working on a tool that can edit the Pokemon Pinball stages. I want to make a "Pokemon Pinball Gold/Silver" game! Once I've gotten bored trying to make that, I'll return to finish Maize Version.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I tried playing this game on Gameyob which is a GB/GBC emulator for the DS and also I'm using R4 which is a flashcart.It crashed upon loading to the title screen. I disable the SGB mode and it worked fine though the game was in black and white and then when I saved and exited, it crashed again. Can you see what's going on with this?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I tried playing this game on Gameyob which is a GB/GBC emulator for the DS and also I'm using R4 which is a flashcart.It crashed upon loading to the title screen. I disable the SGB mode and it worked fine though the game was in black and white and then when I saved and exited, it crashed again. Can you see what's going on with this?

No I can't, sorry. That is probably an emulator issue, not a Maize issue, as it works on other emulators.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for trying. :( I guess I'll inform the creator of the emulator on GBATemp or his Github.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've played several hacks of Red on that emulator with no issues at all strangely. It's a shame as this one's pretty good. Unfortunately, development has shifted to the 3DS and even it's missing features from the DS version. It's unlikely it'll ever get fixed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Hey Shant, I have a question..

Will beta3 be compatible with further releases?

Thanks in advance my friend :)

Wbr Murderlinez Aka ScizorHunter

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hey Shant, I have a question..

Will beta3 be compatible with further releases?

Thanks in advance my friend :)

Wbr Murderlinez Aka ScizorHunter

No, it won't. I tend to make lots of changes to the RAM's layout as well as code changes in the ROM's Bank 0. This makes save files incompatible. Sorry!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Started this hack a few days ago, and loving it so far.
    Why dark type attacks are "not very effective" on Haunter? (nvm, didnt read the known bugs list)
    Do you get more than one Item Stone in this beta?
    I tried to do the Giveaway Event, but if the code's number is between 100 to 150, I actually have to press more than 100 times. And you have 13 numbers.
    Could you change it to one number instead of 13?

I am not sure if its a bug, but my Scizor got poisoned, and Rolling Kick was "super effective" on it, and I think that Counter doesnt work after Metal Claw.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Started this hack a few days ago, and loving it so far.
    Why dark type attacks are "not very effective" on Haunter? (nvm, didnt read the known bugs list)
    Do you get more than one Item Stone in this beta?
    I tried to do the Giveaway Event, but if the code's number is between 100 to 150, I actually have to press more than 100 times. And you have 13 numbers.
    Could you change it to one number instead of 13?

I am not sure if its a bug, but my Scizor got poisoned, and Rolling Kick was "super effective" on it, and I think that Counter doesnt work after Metal Claw.
    I believe there are 2 Item Stone you can find on the ground. One is in Rocky Point, and another is in Hardwater Hole. You can also receive an Item Stone for beating the 6th Factory Head in the Battle Factory.

I'll be improving the code entry so that you can hold down the up or down keys, rather than having to press the buttons 100's of times. Sorry about that. The secret code has to be this long because it encodes the pokemon species, moves, and IVs. Plus there is also some encryption to make it extremely unlikely that entering a random set of numbers will result in a valid pokemon.

I know about the bug where steel types can get poisoned. I didn't realize that was how the real games worked when I added steel types. The rolling kick thing is just a vanilla Gen I bug. You can read about that bug here under the "Dual-type damage misinformation" section: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I

I guess I need to add a bunch of the new moves to a list of attacks that counter respects.

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Found the second one, thanks.

Just finished the beta, you have made an amazing hack.
    Metal Claw has a high crit ratio, which makes some Pokemon (like Scizor) op.
    The Battle Factory was fun, and I think you should add all the evolutionary stones as prizes.
    Looking forward for next beta.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • LOL still love to drop by this thread, the hack is so cute! I really want it to be finished! good luck!

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    Just found about this hack. Love how you're doing event pokemon as well! Have you done other event pokemon in the past?

Back