• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Orange: Island Walker

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years

unknown.png

Pokémon Orange: Island Walker
Hack of Crystal Version (U)
By PiaCRT

Intro:
Welcome to the world of Pokémon!

Rpvtt0M.png

Pokémon Orange: Island Walker is a Crystal hack by PiaCRT. The purpose is to create one of the best GBC ROM Hacks of all time, and present it in an authentic GameFreak-styled package.

I started ROM hacking in 2010 after playing Pokémon Naranja on a cartridge, and since then I've always wanted to see a good Orange Islands hack completed. However, it's never happened to this extent, so I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

Now you may be asking yourself "wait, isn't this already a hack that won Hack of the Year and is featured in the Hacks Showcase?" Well, yes, it is. But, I am rewriting the entire game from scratch and also significantly changing the story, so I have renamed the hack and have discontinued the original due to its old codebase and growing number of bugs and critical errors. You can still find the original Pokémon Orange and play it in its entirety, which goes to the champion with a postgame event on Shamouti Island.

Significant story changes will take place, such as Team Rocket having a larger presence and bigger role in the game, with the International Police hot on their trail following the events of Red and Blue. A mysterious woman follows the player and seems very interested in the GS Ball that they carry. Rind Island will be accessible just after the first gym, and with it a new Magikarp-themed minigame has been added for the player to sink hours into! The entirely of Kanto will be included in the postgame, along with some "new" islands between the two regions.

Story:

You are a kid from Valencia Island who wants to become a Pokémon Master, after hearing about a kid the same age named Red defeating the Indigo League 6 months ago. You set out on a journey to deliver the mysterious GS Ball to the esteemed Samson Oak, who is visiting the Orange Islands from the Alola region and to take on the Orange Crew! Play as Indigo or Orange, explore the beautiful Orange Archipelago and walk into a fresh yet nostalgic world to learn more about the wonderful world of Pokémon and to Catch 'em All!

Features:
9hVNtmv.png

dsGgxBO.gif
The entire Orange Archipelago!*
dsGgxBO.gif
Alternate Starters if you don't want the Kanto trio!
dsGgxBO.gif
OI and Regional Variants, and the Crystal Onix
dsGgxBO.gif
Pinkan Berries that work!
dsGgxBO.gif
Anime-based story in Gamefreak format
dsGgxBO.gif
20th Movie inspired Ho-oh/Marshadow event
dsGgxBO.gif
Dive and Rock Climb
dsGgxBO.gif
Clock Reset NPC for flashcarts
dsGgxBO.gif
Shiny Charm and Exp. All
dsGgxBO.gif
New cries
dsGgxBO.gif
An expanded PokéDex of 400 Pokémon!
dsGgxBO.gif
All moves up to gen 4 and beyond
dsGgxBO.gif
Updated Learnsets
dsGgxBO.gif
PSS Split
dsGgxBO.gif
Abilities
dsGgxBO.gif
Gen 4-styled data structure
dsGgxBO.gif
EVs and IVs replace Stat Exp and DVs
dsGgxBO.gif
Reworked Encounter Tables to work like modern generations, Headbutt all trees, etc!
dsGgxBO.gif
Magikarp Jump forms
dsGgxBO.gif
...And much, much more!

*An island with Giant Pokémon was left out​

Screenshots:

fU70WSj.png
LBtRwGC.png
fDJHOka.png
f9tBKSI.png

IfCa9vX.png
dQYfTsm.png
t4gM5Jr.png
FnwX8NI.png

jSMgzZD.png
Uknnuab.png
vzqpAE0.png
uTZhn4o.png

yIXEVBt.png

Awards:
zmul7um.png

Downloads:
i8Lle7y.png

None for the time being.

The team:
PiaCRT: Main Developer, Storywriter, Spriting, Mapping, Scripting, and Programming
8-bit Zeta: Programming
MonstaRules: Music and Programming
SourApple: Battle Animations and Spriting
regen: Music
Golbez: Storywriter
JaceDeane: Spriter
EeVeeEe: Spriter
Bloodless: Spriter

Other credits:
Rangi: Without Rangi or her knowledge, Orange would never have lasted this long. Truly, I thank you.
Rainbow Devs and KBM: For Prism's source code among other TPP projects
Vulcandth and ax6: For all of your work on Pokecrystal16 and beyond
Jaagup: For the underwater tileset I have been using for a decade
Nuuk: For your amazing sprites
kb: For your amazing airship tileset
AngryDev: For your amazing Shamouti Shrine tileset
Luna, Sukiyami, and Pheebs: For being longtime friends and supporting my project
To be updated...

CSS by PEDRO13, Clacla and PiaCRT

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
It's already amazing what the current Orange achieved with such an old engine/code, this will be fantastic with the new features and polish/rework.

PerceptioN95

ポケモントレーナ とみい
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
Amazing! One of my pet peeves with the original is the lack of pss, seeing that it will now be implemented is great news!

While I'm here, I've seen a few crystal rom hacks will following pokemon, is it possible within the scope of this rom hack to add such a feature?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
Amazing! One of my pet peeves with the original is the lack of pss, seeing that it will now be implemented is great news!

While I'm here, I've seen a few crystal rom hacks will following pokemon, is it possible within the scope of this rom hack to add such a feature?

Following pokemon isn't something I've felt like I wanted to add, at this time it's out of scope but something to look into much later on.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Following pokemon isn't something I've felt like I wanted to add, at this time it's out of scope but something to look into much later on.

I do hope you do consider it at some point because I bet it will add a couple more personality points to the game. I am so pumped for the Island Walker revamp of Orange!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
A lot of progress to report on this.

So mostly, we have been working on the engine, SourApple finished animating all moves up to gen 4 and we are currently assessing other moves that will need to be added (Fairy, signature moves, etc). Game progress itself has not been too much though I am working on a revamped lapras event in Tangelo.

Vulcandth has been helping Zeta and I with the engine side of things immensely. One of our developers had a kid recently so we have been lacking progress in some areas that he was in charge of. It's a lot of work trying to recreate gen 4s systems in crystal but progress is still smooth. 16 bit items are almost fully working, but Personality Value still isn't finished which is inhibiting some things like Abilities.

Shoutout to Star Gazaar for a commission I requested for a Lorelei backsprite, I split the catch tutorial routine so that I can have 2 different catch tutorials depending on which starter you chose.

image-1.png

Corrusion

DARTH MEGATRON 3000
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
One thing I would like to comment on after playing the last nightly version of Orange is just how broken Alolan Sandslash really is. Barely anything in the game can get trough its typing and one sword dance is enough to brute force your way trough even bulky water types.

Aside from that Orange was fun and a really eye opening experience as to what such an old engine is capable not just artistically but gameplay wise as well. Excited to see where this project goes.

Years
One thing I would like to comment on after playing the last nightly version of Orange is just how broken Alolan Sandslash really is. Barely anything in the game can get trough its typing and one sword dance is enough to brute force your way trough even bulky water types.

Aside from that Orange was fun and a really eye opening experience as to what such an old engine is capable not just artistically but gameplay wise as well. Excited to see where this project goes.

The beta nightly is for the beta build of Pokemon Orange, not Pokemon Orange: Island Walker.

The beta Orange build is no longer being worked on.

super fan de pokemon

Pokemon palmero
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
It would be amazing to have both the complete Alola and Kanto pokedex in the game because I always believed that the orange islands are a beta of the Alola region.

One question will still be the Luigia movie event? This version

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
It would be amazing to have both the complete Alola and Kanto pokedex in the game because I always believed that the orange islands are a beta of the Alola region.

One question will still be the Luigia movie event? This version

I don't think I'll be adding everything from alola, but it definitely respresents in the Dex so there will be a lot of alola pokemon, plus all of the alolan formes.

Yes, I don't intend on removing the movie 2000 event though it will be a bit different in island walker.

super fan de pokemon

Pokemon palmero
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Sorry for bothering you again, I have a question, the chronology of pokemon Orange Island Walker was when Red won the Kanto league or when Ethan won the Kanto league and Red

Dark

SW-8589-1512-3501
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
I'm struggling to understand why remakes started appearing on progressing hacks. This forum should be for new room hacks with new story and maps not remakes, remakes should be on Sideshow Showcase

Back