• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
As an experiment, I have successfully added a "Devolve Stone" but I haven't fully decided on if I should include it in the game.

What do you guys think? The item is used like any other stone, but it prints "ABLE" next to any Pokemon that has a pre-evolution, and prints "NOT ABLE" next to those who don't.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Good job done so far in hacking a Gen 1 game! Good Luck! thats what i say to every hacker !

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
As an experiment, I have successfully added a "Devolve Stone" but I haven't fully decided on if I should include it in the game.

What do you guys think? The item is used like any other stone, but it prints "ABLE" next to any Pokemon that has a pre-evolution, and prints "NOT ABLE" next to those who don't.

What if it was an in-battle item? It could devolve the opposing Pokemon. You'll have to be clever about reloading that pokemon's data/stats after the stone is used...

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hm, that is very clever! I like it!

When I think about it, it sounds like quite a silly item to include for the player.
The only benefit I can think of is to have a super power Eevee with fire/thunder/water moves.

I like your idea better!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Hm, that is very clever! I like it!

When I think about it, it sounds like quite a silly item to include for the player.
The only benefit I can think of is to have a super power Eevee with fire/thunder/water moves.

I like your idea better!

Did you end up implementing this? Or have you been working on other stuff lately?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I have actually been incredibly distracted and have not worked on my hack much this summer like I planned. But I do intend on implementing your idea. :P

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thank you.

Progress is slow, but here is a new custom song.

This is the gym theme, composed by Mickey-A 42.

I also reorganized the first post a bit, adding each custom song in a separate video.

I also updated the Title Screen video. The title screen now includes an 8-bit remake of the original TV theme song, "Gotta Catch 'em All"!

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Alright, I had to update the title screen one more time.

This time I added in a graphic for the "Gotta catch 'em all!" logo!
I had to move the Pokemon logo up one line and move the Prototype text down one line to squeeze in the new logo, but it looks pretty cool! Check out the above post or the first post for an updated title screen video!

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2017
Very neat! Can't wait to try this one out sometime. Also loving the new music and title theme.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I love the remake for the titlescreen!
It's really well done, and captures the tune well. ^^

I'm looking forward to more updates!

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
Good luck and I can't wait to play this!
I saw this way back when there was a stall in posts and I thought this project was dead (I'm glad it's not :P)

Valknarok

Founder of Xil Projects
Years
I finally got around to creating an account on this great site. I would like to personally thank you, Danny-E 33, for the hard work and dedication you've given to this wonderful series, and more specifically, to the Gen II graphics patch. It's thanks to that graphics overhaul that I was inspired to begin my endeavor of creating ROM hacks of this beloved series of games.

Currently, I am readying my Gen I ROM hack (which of course utilizes your patch) for alpha testing. Once the game is ready for open beta, I'll be sure to update everyone. Of course, proper credit will be given to you for the excellent graphics/music patch. This project would not be possible without it.

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I love the remake for the titlescreen!
It's really well done, and captures the tune well. ^^

I'm looking forward to more updates!

Thanks! I'm glad you like the demake theme!

Good luck and I can't wait to play this!
I saw this way back when there was a stall in posts and I thought this project was dead (I'm glad it's not :P)

Yep, college life and living out on my own takes up most of my time. And even then, I usually find other things to do with the little free time I have. But I still work on this from time to time.

I finally got around to creating an account on this great site. I would like to personally thank you, Danny-E 33, for the hard work and dedication you've given to this wonderful series, and more specifically, to the Gen 1 graphics patch. It's thanks to that graphics overhaul that I was inspired to begin my endeavor of creating ROM hacks of this beloved series of games.

Currently, I am readying my Gen 1 ROM hack (which of course utilizes your patch) for alpha testing. Once the game is ready for open beta, I'll be sure to update everyone. Of course, proper credit will be given to you for the excellent graphics/music patch. This project would not be possible without it.

You're very welcome. I would recommend you consider working directly with the source code of the Gen II Graphics Hack. It is a very powerful way of create complex hacks very efficiently.

Valknarok

Founder of Xil Projects
Years
That's certainly my aim with this/these project(s). I've really only had one snag as of late, and that's with the map editing. The map editor I use is ClassicMap, and when try to move the trainers around on the map, I load into the game, they are where I put them, but if I go to another place and come back, their positions are reset back to their vanilla state. Of course, this means the trainers end up inside trees, rocks, and other terrain and we just can't have that, haha! Is this something you've personally encountered? If it helps, I am using a Pokemon Red Version ROM, your Gen II patch, and running it on VisualBoyAdvance.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
No, that is not a problem I've ever had with ClassicMap. But let's not derail this thread any further. Shoot me a pm, or join the #pret irc on irc.freenode.net if you want to talk about this further.

Back