• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
will the gym leaders and elite 4 be the same? like blaine, bruno, etc...
I don't know for sure, but I would assume no, since the first post says it is an entirely new region.

The characters are the same, but their roles are different.

I forgot to ask how you implemented this. Did you create 1-bit masks for each pokemon, or did you write a space-filler algorithm? (or something else that I can't think of?)

Much less elegant than that. I was going to create a bunch of 1bpp graphics for each pokemon, but since they have different sizes and the decompression routine already handles centering the different sized pics, I just made them all compressed pics just like the normal pics and hi-jacked the decompression routines.
click

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Much less elegant than that. I was going to create a bunch of 1bpp graphics for each pokemon, but since they have different sizes and the decompression routine already handles centering the different sized pics, I just made them all compressed pics just like the normal pics and hi-jacked the decompression routines.
click

Well that's the simplest solution, and simplicity is often the best.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Well that's the simplest solution, and simplicity is often the best.

I thought about writing a space filling algorithm, and it would have worked well enough for most pokemon, but it would make Victreebel and Articuno (and others) look really bad, because I don't think there is a way I could have written it so that it would leave the insides white where it is supposed to for those pics. Not to mention it would probably be a lot harder than what I did anyway.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Heyaa Danny!! How things are going with the next beta? if you need any beta testers I would gladly do so, all the best!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey, thanks for showing interest.

I haven't made much progress since I last posted in January, because it was an especially tough semester. And since the summer started, I've been preoccupied with other gameboy projects. But this is absolutely still on the agenda! I'm really sorry I don't have more to offer than that.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I know it's been inexcusably long since I've worked on this, but I only have two weeks left of this semester, and next semester should not be as rough as this one. I will try to get something cool done over break get this hack back on track :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
At least for now, no. I've been way too busy for so long to be able to dedicate any significant amount of time towards this hack. I would love to have enough free time in the future to be able to finish this hack, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Back