• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Its so, godly, I can't describe it with words...

Well, thanks!

Also, I have a really cool update today! I added a brand new "fusion" evolution method!
It affects a few Pokemon, and causes them to evolve when they gain a level while you have the right Pokemon in your party. Then those Pokemon fuse!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 11, 2024
Also, I have a really cool update today! I added a brand new "fusion" evolution method!
It affects a few Pokemon, and causes them to evolve when they gain a level while you have the right Pokemon in your party. Then those Pokemon fuse!

Awesome! I can't wait to play this hack! :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Man... I love those menu sprites!

Thanks! Blue Emerald, Chamber_ and others really did a great job making them! And I had fun programming them into the game as well!

Also, I have a big update today! I finally got around to adding all Gen 2 and Gen 4 evolutions of Gen 1 Pokemon! This brings the Pokedex total to 182:
2CINKtd.png

All the Gen 2 sprites came straight from GSC.
These are the Gen 4 sprites I used:
xMEzOxJ.png

Credits:
Mime Jr. [front]: Blue Emerald
Mime Jr. [back]: Danny-E 33

Happiny [front]: Blue Emerald
Happiny [back]: Danny-E 33

Munchlax [front]: Blue Emerald
Munchlax [back]: Danny-E 33

Magnezone: Blue Emerald

Lickilicky: Blue Emerald

Rhyperior: Danny-E 33

Tangrowth: Chaos Rush

Electivire [front]: amvz08
Electivire [back]: Chaos Rush

Magmortar: Chaos Rush

Leafeon [front]: Dash
Leafeon [back]: Danny-E 33

Glaceon: Blue Emerald

Porygon-Z: Danny-E 33

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I always tell myself that I can work on this hack during the school year, but it just doesn't work out that way. I only ever really have time to work on this during breaks, like Christmas and spring break. Maybe I'll work on this more in the summer, maybe not.

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
This one looks really nice, title screen is amazing + lots of cool ideas!

Hope this gets worked on further, would love to play it.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Well, thanks for appreciating it. I've lost a lot of inspiration to work on this, but I'm trying to get it back. I'm just more invested in other hobbies at the moment. As soon as I ever have more to show for this hack, I will post it here.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 30, 2015
I hope you don't give up. This is very inspiring work. I wish I knew how to decompress and compress the trainers and pokemon graphics the way you have.
I think it would a shame to not continue with this. I'm sure figuring out how to hack the original pokemon red/blue games is no easy task. I can hardly find any info on how to hack gen 1 or find any tools that are still available for download. I guess I got into the hacking scene a bit to late. I had vast ideas to revamp this classic game and your work here comes close. Good luck and thanks.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I hope you don't give up. This is very inspiring work. I wish I knew how to decompress and compress the trainers and pokemon graphics the way you have.
I think it would a shame to not continue with this. I'm sure figuring out how to hack the original pokemon red/blue games is no easy task. I can hardly find any info on how to hack gen 1 or find any tools that are still available for download. I guess I got into the hacking scene a bit to late. I had vast ideas to revamp this classic game and your work here comes close. Good luck and thanks.
Check out the skeetendo forums: http://hax.iimarck.us/

Also check out the pokered disassembly project: https://github.com/iimarckus/pokered

These two resources are everything anyone could ever want regarding Gen 1/2 hacking. Feel free to ask questions over there. The community is helpful/friendly.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 30, 2015
Thank you. I've actually gotten some custom sprites into the game already. It's just going to take a great deal of patience to learn how ASM works and getting use to finding offsets through pointers or the other way around. I'm currently stumped on the Rivals pic. I found the pointer in offset 61A8 which is 49 60 but I can't figure out where this pointer is jumping to. I tried x16049 but there were no visible changes whatsoever. I was surprise the game continued to work as normal instead of crashing. As far as the disassembly project goes. I'm having a tough time reading through the asm files. I've used the search engine to navigate through the main.asm for certain trainer pics but like I said I have a lot to learn. This is my first attempt hacking outside of custom sprite work and level graphics. Thanks again. BTW, ShantyTown I sent you a pm about Maize.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
The great thing about the disassembly (one of many great things) is that there is no more pulling your hair out over pointers. The source files just use labels. The assembler resolves pointers when you build the rom, so it really saves you a ton of time and cuts out most opportunities for errors.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey, guys, first off, I know it has been a while and I'm sorry I haven't worked on this lately. College is rough.

Just wanted to let you know I redid the first post with all new image links since the old ones were starting to die.

If you haven't taken a look at this before, check out some of the cool things I've already done, like fusion evolution and my brother's awesome original music. (in the first post)

In the upcoming months I plan to spend a lot more time working on this hack. In the meantime, the only other update I made to the first post is that I added the whole official list of all gen II and gen IV Pokemon that are (Already!!) in this hack.

Stay tuned!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
It seems great, any idea when the final version will be released?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
It seems great, any idea when the final version will be released?
No idea, sorry. I just work on this hack when I have the time and motivation, so there's never any predicting how much work will get done in the near future.

But I finally have another announcement!

I redid the title screen yet again. This time I redid how the Pokémon silhouettes are handled.
Now each Pokémon's whole body is black, with no white spaces inside their body. (This actually took a lot longer to accomplish than you might initially think)

Here's a comparison to see what I mean:

This update is a huge improvement for certain Pokémon like Dewgong, Goldeen and many others that have mostly white bodies.

Also, I think this is the first time that all the new Gen II and Gen IV Pokémon are actually being exposed in game!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
you mean pre/post evolutions of the 1gen? that is great, I always wanted it since I don't like newer gens pokemon, let me ask you something, will the gym leaders and elite 4 be the same? like blaine, bruno, etc...

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I redid the title screen yet again. This time I redid how the Pokémon silhouettes are handled.
Now each Pokémon's whole body is black, with no white spaces inside their body. (This actually took a lot longer to accomplish than you might initially think)

I forgot to ask how you implemented this. Did you create 1-bit masks for each pokemon, or did you write a space-filler algorithm? (or something else that I can't think of?)

Back