• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced!

Years
  • I'm so hyped ! But yet skeptical..

They're making some pretty bold promises on their official page for the game. And, I hope "fight alongside legendary and mythical pokemon" doesn't mean "we'll force on you a legendary, and you'll have to go with that" :/ I still remember Verizion..(Even though I didn't use it most of the time.. Idk.. I'd rather they work on letting me take along any other pokes, than spend time on plunging-in legends into the game IMO.)

Hopefully, they're going back to the adventurer/explorer theme, the properly twisty and somewhat relatable plot, the charming and interesting characters*, and the epic setting that helped making Explorers of Sky/Time/Darkness great ! I'd like it if there was some kind of guild-like organization you could be part of again..
    * ( I don't know if I'm alone but, I gotta admit that at times, I felt like punching my partner or some of the friendly NPCs in GTI ^^; Mainly my partner though.. That wasn't the case in Explorers or Rescue Team! Well.. I mean, maybe only for a very brief moment in those games ^^; )

And hopefully we'll get access to most pokemon this time ! And a selection of starter that actually won't make me want to put the game down, like GTI did ^^;
    I also hope we'll be seeing some old faces in some kind of cameos !

Can't wait until the proper reveal ! :D

Years
  • Honestly most PMD seem to follow the pattern of "you're forced to fight this or you can't progress", since they are boss battles. I get what you mean though, I hated some of the fights in PMD 2 as they were ridiculous. But I'm sure we can expect to be forced against some tough enemies in the new PMD.
    Were you replying to me ? Because, if that's the case, I'm not sure what you're replying to. :/

Anyhow, I tought most boss battle in PMD2 were ok. Though, the way they've done is a little odd, pit you in a closed arena with the boss, and you just stay right next to them the whole time.. It could have been a little more elaborate IMO.

As for forcing the legendary on you in the regard of using it, that isn't so bad in my opinion as like you said, you don't have to use it and can ignore it if you want. Well, aside from the storyline.

Access to most Pokémon would also be great! There wasn't a Gliscor in 3, was there? :( So sad
    Of course, you didn't have to take along Virizion. But the thing is, given the description they're making of the game, it sounds like they're going for something a little less flexible this time..

I mean, "fight alongside legendary and mythical pokemon" might just imply we'd have less choice on the matter than if they would have written something along the lines of "Build an exploration team out of a large variety of pokemon including legendary and mythical pokemon!".
    No ?
    That's mainly based on speculation and gut feeling on my part however..

Well, not just Gliscor was missing. Most of the pokedex was actually !
    And on my part, I was missing some of my favorite starters, and of course Poochyena :(
    ( Almost not obvious :P If they'd at least put it in the game I could still find a way to make it a starter, like I did in PMD2! :3 )

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Super hyped now! Everything about that looked great! I completely called it be non free to play and that they would step up their game and have everything. Can't wait! Story seems interesting and to be about the legends purpose in the world.

Years
  • Yay ! All 720 pokemons ! :D
    ( I'll totally cheat to get poochyena as starter :3 )

A few little things that you can conclude from the trailer:
    Hawlucha and Klefki have shops (look to the left when they're showing the town). There is some kind of castle or large building in the back of the town. Kangaskhan's storehouse was replaced with the storage chest again ;_;

If you look closely at that closeup where a bunch of pokemon are near a kecleon shop and a house, you'll notice its not located in the town we get to see a few second earlier. So there is possibly another village/hubtown perhaps ?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I just hope you'll actually be able to choose what pokémon you wanna be and for the selection to not suck like in Gates to Infinity.
    Welp, seems like I have nothing to worry about now, although the selection does feel kinda redundant with all of the starters. I'm definitely gonna be getting this game after seeing the trailer.

Years
  • I'm happy with the bigger Pokemon selection but still pretty unhappy that we don't have more non-starter Pokemon. Skitty, Meowth, Eevee, and so on would all make such amazing choices.

Otherwise.. please don't pull a Gates to Infinity and make the text unbearably slow and cutscenes unskippable. That made replaying the game nearly impossible. :(

Years
  • I..actually traded in Gates of Infinity. I just couldn't get into it, which is a shame, because I loved the previous installments. ):
    This looks awesome, though.

I'm happy with the bigger Pokemon selection but still pretty unhappy that we don't have more non-starter Pokemon. Skitty, Meowth, Eevee, and so on would all make such amazing choices.
    This. Is Riolu really the only non-starter? D:

Years
  • I actually wish they had the pre-game questions to decide what Pokemon you were. I feel like it added to the experience.

The trailer was pretty good. I know that I'm definitely interested. With all of the legendaries and such. I'm hoping they don't keep using the "turn from human to Pokemon" thing, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It just feels cliche to me at this point.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    After Gates i am surprised they decided to make another installment, not that i am complaining or anything :P It seems they have learned what not to do to the mystery dungeon games... I guess my hopes are like the rest of you all here, but i want to put a large amount of emphasis on the story. Gates was definitely a let down in that department, so i hope they wrote a better one this time.

so far it has passed the eyeball test though, which is a good start.

Years
  • This. Is Riolu really the only non-starter? D:

It seems like Riolu really is the only non-starter. I'm not sure what drove that decision but I guess the selection isn't too bad anyways. Way better than GTI to they've learned from that mistake at least. And yes...please, please make the text skippable.

The thing is, the starters are among the most popular Pokemon in existence and are always the player's first partner in the games so it's natural they make them the playable Pokemon here.

I guess the reason why Riolu is here is because Lucario is popular, and they wanted to showcase that.

Years
  • I'm not sure why they included Riolu but left out Vulpix and a few others. I'd love to get my Riolu/Vulpix combo back. :(

Probably because we have so many starters now that they wanted to focus more on those, and that sadly came at the expense of some fan favorites.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I never played any of the PMD games, so I am pretty excited for this. I watched some youtube vids on them, and they look really fun. I am considering picking one of the old ones for cheaper and playing it. The game looks really nice with cool-looking dungeons. I want to play as cyndaquil so bad!

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • so far it's at least a major improvement over what GTI was since it now has more starters and all available Pokemon.

My only real nitpick is the starter selection though (and I'm not surprised to see I'm not the only one who thinks this), which the only Pokemon that aren't main-game starters are Pikachu and Riolu. I mean, I wanted to be something like Drilbur or Mienfoo back when GTI was announced, but I didn't get that since it was just Pikachu, the Unova Starters and Axew, now it's just all Grass/Fire/Water starters, Riolu, and that overrated yellow rat. And while I like Riolu at least (Lucario has been one of my favorite Pokemon for a long time), I really wish I had something other than just every main game starter and ONLY the main game starters. I mean, If I wanted only the main game starters, I'd go play the main games. Even though the Pokemon themselves are different, there's no variety other than two Pokemon, especially since the Pokemon never evolve in the main story, and as a result, when you really narrow it down, you only really have 5 Pokemon to choose from: Pikachu, Riolu, a Grass starter, a Fire starter, and a Water starter.

But on the upside, it's more Pokemon than GTI had, though on the downside it's less variety in typing. Thank goodness it's not Freemium... at least not yet though. I just hope it has a better story than GTI did, because GTI had a rather cheezy story from what I recall.

I'm happy with the bigger Pokemon selection but still pretty unhappy that we don't have more non-starter Pokemon. Skitty, Meowth, Eevee, and so on would all make such amazing choices.

Otherwise.. please don't pull a Gates to Infinity and make the text unbearably slow and cutscenes unskippable. That made replaying the game nearly impossible. :(

Pikachu and all the starters are all unsurprising, though the first PMD game made back in Gen 3 had Pikachu, the starters of all three generations at the time, plus it had Meowth, Skitty, Psyduck, Machop, Eevee and Cubone (unless I am forgetting one, TBH I never played the first PMD, only the Explorers games, and I avoided GTI like the plagye), and Explorers of Sky had the Gen 4 starters, Pikachu, Meowth, and Munchlax, but it also readded Eevee, and added Phanpy, Riolu, Shinx and Vulpix. The only reason Axew was a starter in GTI along with Pikachu and the Unova Starters was most likely because of Iris's Axew in the anime. Yeah it's something that isn't Pikachu or the starters, but why Axew of all Gen 5 Pokemon, why not have Drilbur, Emolga, Mienfoo, and/or Zorua in it too? I mean, Mienshao is my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, and I would have loved to play as a Mienfoo, but that never happened, and apparently it's never going to happen.

I'm not sure why they included Riolu but left out Vulpix and a few others. I'd love to get my Riolu/Vulpix combo back. :(

Agreed, I loved my Riolu/Vulpix team in Explorers of Sky, and I really don't want to use Fennekin (aka. the poor-man's Vulpix) in place of what is my favorite Gen 1 Pokemon. Considering they obviously didn't want two fire foxes, and since Fennekin is a main game starter, it's unlikely Vulpix will ever be a starter in the PMD games again.

A Gen 6 Pokemon (other than Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie) would probably make more sense as a starter than Riolu would, and the ones that could potentially work would be Pancham, Helioptile and Dedenne. The only reason Riolu is still a starter is because, as we all know, TPCi adores Lucario.

Years
  • My only real nitpick is the starter selection though (and I'm not surprised to see I'm not the only one who thinks this), which the only Pokemon that aren't main-game starters are Pikachu and Riolu. I mean, I wanted to be something like Drilbur or Mienfoo back when GTI was announced, but I didn't get that since it was just Pikachu, the Unova Starters and Axew, now it's just all Grass/Fire/Water starters, Riolu, and that overrated yellow rat. And while I like Riolu at least (Lucario has been one of my favorite Pokemon for a long time), I really wish I had something other than just every main game starter and ONLY the main game starters. I mean, If I wanted only the main game starters, I'd go play the main games. Even though the Pokemon themselves are different, there's no variety other than two Pokemon, especially since the Pokemon never evolve in the main story, and as a result, when you really narrow it down, you only really have 5 Pokemon to choose from: Pikachu, Riolu, a Grass starter, a Fire starter, and a Water starter.

While being able to play as all the starters is a blessing, you are right in that it gives you very limited options for types. The main-game starters are always portrayed as the protagonist's ace Pokemon in the main games (hence making them a protagonist in their own way), so it's natural they have them dominating the roster. Riolu's presence was mainly due to the popularity of Lucario, and Pikachu is too obvious to even explain.

And for clarification, Pikachu has been a main-game starter. It's the one you get as your partner in Yellow, and acts basically like Ash's Pikachu from the anime.

Pikachu and all the starters are all unsurprising, though the first PMD game made back in Gen 3 had Pikachu, the starters of all three generations at the time, plus it had Meowth, Skitty, Psyduck, Machop, Eevee and Cubone (unless I am forgetting one, TBH I never played the first PMD, only the Explorers games, and I avoided GTI like the plagye), and Explorers of Sky had the Gen 4 starters, Pikachu, Meowth, and Munchlax, but it also readded Eevee, and added Phanpy, Riolu, Shinx and Vulpix. The only reason Axew was a starter in GTI along with Pikachu and the Unova Starters was most likely because of Iris's Axew in the anime. Yeah it's something that isn't Pikachu or the starters, but why Axew of all Gen 5 Pokemon, why not have Drilbur, Emolga, Mienfoo, and/or Zorua in it too? I mean, Mienshao is my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, and I would have loved to play as a Mienfoo, but that never happened, and apparently it's never going to happen.p

I kinda liked there was more variety in the earlier PMD games, but as we got more and more new main-game starters as the generations went they put more focus into those (as we know, starters always get tons of marketing and are generally popular because they are your first partner after all) and sadly it came at the expense of those other Pokemon. The issue is that they just love to favor the most popular stuff because they appeal the most to the targeted demographic who follows the franchise.

Reactions: Sun

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Guys. GUYS!

The personality test is back! Serebii is reporting you'll pick your starting and partner Pokemon though questions just like Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky! :D

Years
  • Guys. GUYS!

The personality test is back! Serebii is reporting you'll pick your starting and partner Pokemon though questions just like Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky! :D

This will be a blessing for those who played the DS series of PMD games. I do wonder what results of the test will result in which Pokemon this time around. I think the developers must have heard the negative reception that GTI got and so they figured it would be best to revert back to basics.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    alright, that video on Serribi made my day. It looks to me that they are reverting back to basics as well, which is exactly what they should do after Gates. Also I guess now it's confirmed they are going to stay with the "turned into a Pokemon" thing. I have no Problem with that, but i have seen others that will probably snicker a bit haha. I really hope this game is as good as it is looking right now :)

Here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8nnxYvwrhQ

Years
  • I kinda like how you look in the water and realize you turned into a Pokemon. You can easily tell the developers wanted to backflip after the massive hatefest that GTI became among most players.

Back