• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Does the game still block trading/evolving Eggs or Pok?mon not considered part of the Kanto Pok?dex before you beat the Elite Four? Last time I played this, I remember trying to trade myself a Surfing Pichu Egg from the Extras file and I couldn't. I also couldn't use the Teleporter in Bill's Cottage to evolve an Onix holding a Metal Coat.

The game is good, but I want to know what I can and can't evolve/use before I start playing again.

Edit: I still could not trade myself a Pichu Egg at the beginning of the game, which is where I wanted to use it. I assume I also won't be able to evolve Golbat into Crobat (Zubat/Golbat can't learn Fly in Gen 3, but Crobat can) or Onix into Steelix before beating the Elite Four.

I'm not sure if this is included with the hack, but you can disable the trade restrictions with the information on the tail end of this post right here.

They're mostly simple byte changes that can be made in a hex editor to your ROM.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not sure if this is included with the hack, but you can disable the trade restrictions with the information on the tail end of this post right here.

They're mostly simple byte changes that can be made in a hex editor to your ROM.

How do I apply those changes? I understand what is being asked for the other modifications in that post, as they involve changing Hex values, but the instructions for Disable Trade Restrictions [FR] and Disable "The Pokemon Stopped Evolving." [FR] seem to be script based, and I am not sure how to make those kind of changes.

Edit: I was finally able to trade myself Celebi and the Pichu Egg after applying the information in this post to what was in the previously linked post. For some reason, it still would not let me trade Mew.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
The download links have been fixed. I've also updated the hack one more time to fix a couple of issues.

Changelog

You may have noticed that I haven't been active here lately. And I apologize for that. I've found that I don't have time to dedicate to hacking anymore. Life happens. As such, I've decided that I need to take a break from hacking. I won't be around PokéCommunity much. I just need to focus on the truly important things in this world now.

Because there's a very real chance that I won't return to Throwback, I've included the source files for Throwback for anyone who wants to fiddle around with them. I hope the hack can live on in some form this way, even after I've made my own final changes to it.

Thank you for all the work you've done with this. It is exactly the Pokemon game I've been wanting to play. Any news on the location list you mentioned earlier this year?
I did make some headway into the list. I was making it via Wordpad (instead of Microsoft Word, in order to make it more readily usable by various applications). I included map pictures and exact encounter rates of each Pokémon. Unfortunately, my efforts stalled.

I've actually decided that I'll continue work on it, though. I've uploaded it so you can all check it out in its current state. It's still in a very early stage, but hopefully I'll complete it over time. Check on it from time-to-time to see if I've made progress.
Does the game still block trading/evolving Eggs or Pokémon not considered part of the Kanto Pokédex before you beat the Elite Four? Last time I played this, I remember trying to trade myself a Surfing Pichu Egg from the Extras file and I couldn't. I also couldn't use the Teleporter in Bill's Cottage to evolve an Onix holding a Metal Coat.

The game is good, but I want to know what I can and can't evolve/use before I start playing again.

Edit: I still could not trade myself a Pichu Egg at the beginning of the game, which is where I wanted to use it. I assume I also won't be able to evolve Golbat into Crobat (Zubat/Golbat can't learn Fly in Gen 3, but Crobat can) or Onix into Steelix before beating the Elite Four.
As you've found out yourself, you still need to get the National Dex to be able to use Johto Pokémon in Throwback.
All features have been added? Now the game will just update to bug fix?
At this point, I guess the answer is "yes."

I hope people are able to enjoy Throwback now and in the future. It's been my pleasure to work on a project that people beyond myself can experience with pleasure.

-RichterSnipes

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Thanks, it is the version that the original game should have been.

It is almost perfect, but some changes in the Extra patch aren't good:

• Poison no longer affects your Pokémon in the overworld, just like in the most recent games. Related text has been modified.
  • TMs are infinitely reusable. Item behavior, affected text, and a few TM locations have been changed to accommodate for this.
  • All Move Tutors will teach your Pokémon their moves an unlimited number of times.
The game gets easy when TMs are unlimited.

Poison damaging in the overworld is a classic feature and encourages the player to avoid getting poisoned and run to pokemon center when they don't have any antidotes. It is supposed to be the game for someone who has never played any Pokemon game set in Kanto, so they should suffer with poison as well as we did in the original game.

The most important changes in the Extra patch is the removal of unnecessary tutorials, the addition of Running in-doors and some small fixes.

Finally, I think Mew and Celebi should be obtainable without trading, because most people will play it on emulator and many people will do it on Android.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023

• Poison no longer affects your Pokémon in the overworld, just like in the most recent games. Related text has been modified.
  • TMs are infinitely reusable. Item behavior, affected text, and a few TM locations have been changed to accommodate for this.
  • All Move Tutors will teach your Pokémon their moves an unlimited number of times.

Poison damaging in the overworld is a classic feature and encourages the player to avoid getting poisoned and run to pokemon center when they don't have any antidotes. It is supposed to be the game for someone who has never played any Pokemon game set in Kanto, so they should suffer with poison as well as we did in the original game.

The most important changes in the Extra patch is the removal of unnecessary tutorials, the addition of Running in-doors and some small fixes.

Finally, I think Mew and Celebi should be obtainable without trading, because most people will play it on emulator and many people will do it on Android.

Personally I like the way Gen 5 handled poisoning: do overworld damage, but heal at 1 HP instead of fainting. This also makes Nuzlocke runs less frustrating. As for infinite TMs and tutors, I used to never use good one-of-a-kind TMs like Earthquake because I kept saving them for a "better" Pokémon. Single-use TMs should at least be sold somewhere so you don't have to choose between using them on an in-game team or a post-game competitive one.

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Personally I like the way Gen 5 handled poisoning: do overworld damage, but heal at 1 HP instead of fainting. This also makes Nuzlocke runs less frustrating. As for infinite TMs and tutors, I used to never use good one-of-a-kind TMs like Earthquake because I kept saving them for a "better" Pokémon. Single-use TMs should at least be sold somewhere so you don't have to choose between using them on an in-game team or a post-game competitive one.
That changes a lot the mechanics of the original game. For that reason, features that change the original mechanics should be in a separate patch.

Limited TM makes people think carefully on when to use it, so the strategy is different.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
A little bug report; when you use a repel and after you finish the repel and hit no on the option the npc stop moving.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 4, 2018
I ran into a glitch/bug with the girl in the underground that trades a Nidoran. The game freezes. Also, several in-game trades with Bulbasaur/Ivysaur from the man in cerualean (or starter, I picked charmander so) where the text is all weird...

Im using GBA4iOS and a fire red 1.0 base Rom (un patched)

Attachments

• IMG_0874.PNG
    IMG_0874.PNG
    101.9 KB · Views: 15
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I ran into a glitch/bug with the girl in the underground that trades a Nidoran. The game freezes. Also, several in-game trades with Bulbasaur/Ivysaur from the man in cerualean (or starter, I picked charmander so) where the text is all weird...

You sure you're in the right thread? There is no ingame trade involving bulba/ivysaur.

That changes a lot the mechanics of the original game. For that reason, features that change the original mechanics should be in a separate patch.

Limited TM makes people think carefully on when to use it, so the strategy is different.

RichterSnipes (OP) provided a source that includes most of the features in their own specific patches, so you can pick and choose.

A little bug report; when you use a repel and after you finish the repel and hit no on the option the npc stop moving.

Looks like the script involving this is missing a 'release' or 'releaseall' for when you opt out of using another repel.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
RichterSnipes has allowed me to post suggestions/developments on this thread a while back so I will post some things that I consider fixes for Throwback. You will need to know how to use a hex editor and/or ASM.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey again! I'm here to answer some posts since I took off:

• Poison no longer affects your Pok?mon in the overworld, just like in the most recent games. Related text has been modified.
  • All Move Tutors will teach your Pok?mon their moves an unlimited number of times.

That's the thing with opinions. We all have one. We all have a specific way that we want our Pok?mon games to play. I can easily see why people wouldn't want the "simplification" of the later games when it comes to overworld poison. I can see even more clearly why people would be put off by anything that lessened the amount of strategy needed to successfully play the game. There's just no absolutely ideal version of the game that can ever be made. An ideal version for one person? Sure. But not one that everyone will be happy about. I chose the feature set to be one that I thought people would generally like. I'm sorry that you don't care for those specific changes.

If you'd like to make your own custom Extras patch, you can check out the source download. It includes all of the separate parts of the Extras patch as their own sub patch. You can use those to customize the patch to your heart's content.

Personally I like the way Gen 5 handled poisoning: do overworld damage, but heal at 1 HP instead of fainting. This also makes Nuzlocke runs less frustrating. As for infinite TMs and tutors, I used to never use good one-of-a-kind TMs like Earthquake because I kept saving them for a "better" Pok?mon. Single-use TMs should at least be sold somewhere so you don't have to choose between using them on an in-game team or a post-game competitive one.
A correction: That poison behavior was from Gen 4, not Gen 5. Interestingly enough, that's how I originally had it in the hack. I changed it in more recent versions to more accurately reflect how it is now. I figure that people have gotten accustomed to the modern poison behavior by now that they'd tend to prefer playing with it that way. If you ask me, I think Gen 4's method was the best, too!

And yeah, I didn't like the fact that TMs could only be used once, either. I'd always feel pressure when deciding to use one. You only get one shot to put it on a Pok?mon. Find a Pok?mon later in the game that you want to use it on but already used it up? Too bad!

I consider the elements of the overworld to be separate from the mechanics of the main game. If you want to go down that route, though, running indoors also changes the mechanics of the original game.

I see where the strategy argument comes from, though. Look at my reply to your previous post for that.

I'll get that bug checked out. I hope it can be fixed sometime soon in an update, but no promises.

Same here with this bug. In this case it sounds like something isn't getting patched right. Not sure if that's because of GBA4iOS or something I did.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Thanks for replying, but I have a question. Are you going to add a stat checker and the experience point thing where when the player catches a Pok?mon and gain exp. Thanks for reading.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen yesterday
An add-on of sorts exists now: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3499/

Not much else that really can be added in here that was in the other (maybe little things would be left like LR button default settings or Silph Co TM36), it's just a pretty nice little patch that adds just enough to Throwback.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thanks for replying, but I have a question. Are you going to add a stat checker and the experience point thing where when the player catches a Pok?mon and gain exp. Thanks for reading.
No problem!

By stat checker, do you mean IV/EV checker? Adding something in the same vein as how the most recent games do it would be interesting. As for gaining experience upon catching a Pok?mon, I chose not to add that. I've made it known in the "Quick Research & Development Thread" that there's a pretty noticeable bug with the implementation. Twice, in fact. Neither time did I get a response on that. I've always been reluctant to include it because of that. I don't want to add any new issues with anything brought into the hack.
An add-on of sorts exists now: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3499/

Not much else that really can be added in here that was in the other (maybe little things would be left like LR button default settings or Silph Co TM36), it's just a pretty nice little patch that adds just enough to Throwback.
I've never taken a look at your hack before. Or that mix of our hacks, for that matter. Both seem like pretty comfortable ways of modernizing the game for players!

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I've never taken a look at your hack before. Or that mix of our hacks, for that matter. Both seem like pretty comfortable ways of modernizing the game for players!
Thank you very much (though I try to keep it under my hat that I'm the same person, this username is old and cold plus personal junk). I've long been a fan of Throwback really. :D

OH, for the sake of information: the only patch in that which takes up free space is Stone Evolution Movesets because I had to make totally new ones. I wanted to make extremely sure that most of it took up no space in case of updates. It's at 0x750000 to about 0x7502AD. Could've been smaller but eh.

Quick word to everyone else: this is of no relation to 251+, it is dead and buried and not happening again. I'd have to rebuild from scratch and I don't have the time or tool availability due to working mostly out of Wineskin. I'm flattered by all the notifications and asks, but the links are long dead and it was an early mess.

Last edited:
Back