• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Since you've taken over Throwback and Richter is, for all intents and purposes, MIA for now, perhaps you can answer a question for me? I'm wondering if Throwback is compatible with this patch from Mr. Doll Steak without breaking a ton of things.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301

Looking at Throwback and the patch, it doesn't look like they touch any of the same things, but I was just curious for an answer from someone actually working on Throwback. Having Throwback with the physical/special split, modern moves, etc. would be amazing.

Should be fine with either Throwback patches. You'll have to check which item index his new hold items replace. If it replaces the GB SOUNDS, you'll have a problem.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Should be fine with either Throwback patches. You'll have to check which item index his new hold items replace. If it replaces the GB SOUNDS, you'll have a problem.

That's awesome to hear. I patched both and just tried as a preliminary test. Everything seems to be fine, at least for the first 3 minutes of the game, and GB Sounds was in my bag like it should be, so I guess that means it didn't get replaced. Just wanted to ask to make sure regardless.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Well, the patches do seem to conflict with each other badly, for reasons I'm not sure of. The game starts to corrupt badly the longer it stays running.

I was going to use the physical/special split patch that Richter posted himself, but it doesn't have the moves categorized properly. He made another patch to categorize them properly, but that particular patch's onedrive link is dead and I can't find a trace of it anywhere else.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 6, 2022
Well, the patches do seem to conflict with each other badly, for reasons I'm not sure of. The game starts to corrupt badly the longer it stays running.

I was going to use the physical/special split patch that Richter posted himself, but it doesn't have the moves categorized properly. He made another patch to categorize them properly, but that particular patch's onedrive link is dead and I can't find a trace of it anywhere else.

I managed to find a patch that only has the P/S split for Firered

https://www [dot] reddit [dot] com/r/PokemonROMhacks/comments/5iagx1/is_there_a_patch_for_fire_red_that_adds_the_ps/

(erase the "[dot]" and put in a "." I can't post a direct link right now )

I tried this out and it seemed okay. Though, I didn't test it out in the long run (I have no idea if the P/S mechanic actually works correctly).

Other than that, try googling for "physical/special split for pokemon firered". You'll find several sites that talk about it.

PS: I figured that MrDollStreak's patch and Throwback wouldn't work well together. I think MrDollStreak's patch adds too much stuff to an already modified game.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 6, 2022
Hi tkim,

Just wondering but is ProjectWolfe's patch (https://www . romhacking . net/hacks/3499/) compatible with your unofficial patch? I've been wondering about this for a while.

I used both patches and my game seems fine. But I just wanted to make sure.

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2021
I see in the OP that the "gotta catch em all" documentation is a work in progress. Is there an updated list of catch locations anywhere?

Mewtree X

This name sucks hehe :v
Years
In the unofficial patch, when you enter the house with the blackboard in viridian and read the blackboard, the game freezes and the music continues to play ;-;

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
In the unofficial patch, when you enter the house with the blackboard in viridian and read the blackboard, the game freezes and the music continues to play ;-;

Thanks for letting me know. I'm planning on releasing another patch that will include some more features and minus some. The test patch I'm using at the moment doesn't have that error, so I'll have to take a look at this one.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Hi tkim,

Just wondering but is ProjectWolfe's patch (https://www . romhacking . net/hacks/3499/) compatible with your unofficial patch? I've been wondering about this for a while.

I used both patches and my game seems fine. But I just wanted to make sure.
Sorry about being so late.

As I had mentioned before, everything but the evolution movesets works. That one optional patch in particular clashes with the unofficial as far as freespace is concerned. Outside of that one thing, it works with any and all setups of Throwback. It's version agnostic due to it's simplicity, it even works on a clean ROM!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Unofficial Throwback v170929 has been released! Check the main page for downloads and changelogs!

Credits to Mechakhan for his Hidden Power check routine!

Major features in this release:

- All 251 Pokemon can now be obtained without an external sav. file.
- Faraway Island is accessible.
- Event items such as tickets, and Altering Cave spawns are now given out by the event person in the upper floors of any PokeCenter.
- Event person will give out Eggs containing Pichu with Surf.
- Player's Bicycle's rims are now yellow.
- Volt Tackle can be learned by a Pichu if either parent is holding the Light Ball.
- Flame Body/Magma Armor abilities will now halve Egg cycles.
- Hidden Power types can now be checked by an NPC at the Celadon Prize Corner. (post-game)

Last edited:

Podifo

What kind of Pokémon prizes are there in the Game Corner? I know it's different from FireRed and LeafGreen, so how did you work that out?

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
What kind of Pokémon prizes are there in the Game Corner? I know it's different from FireRed and LeafGreen, so how did you work that out?

The official release's prizes are based on the japanese Blue version I believe. My latest version has been reverted back to the default FireRed prizes.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Unofficial Throwback v171001 bugfix release!

Fixed:

- RTC malfunctioning from the official Throwback release, not allowing Eevee to evolve at the correct times. Time-based evolutions are now based on R/S/E.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 4, 2018
Unofficial Throwback v171001 bugfix release!

Fixed:

- RTC malfunctioning from the official Throwback release, not allowing Eevee to evolve at the correct times. Time-based evolutions are now based on R/S/E.

tkim, do you plan on adding support for LeafGreen at any point?

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
tkim, do you plan on adding support for LeafGreen at any point?

I don't think so as it would take a very long time. Although if I had the time and if my OCD kicked in, I would. It's also because RichterSnipes hasn't released an updated patch for LeafGreen, which would've saved me a lot of work.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
I don't think so as it would take a very long time. Although if I had the time and if my OCD kicked in, I would. It's also because RichterSnipes hasn't released an updated patch for LeafGreen, which would've saved me a lot of work.
I don't really know if I can get my patch going for LG either. It would be minus the flashback/journal removal, I can tell you that much.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 17, 2017
- All 251 Pokemon can now be obtained without an external sav. file.
- Faraway Island is accessible.
- Event items such as tickets, and Altering Cave spawns are now given out by the event person in the upper floors of any PokeCenter.
I've got a question.
Been playing your version of Throwback recently, basically at the end of post-game now but here's the thing:
Where do I get the Aurora Ticket? The NPC in PokeCenter only gave me the Old Sea Map (for Mew) and Mystic Ticket (for Navel Rock - Lugia/Ho-Oh) and the Surf Pichu egg. I didn't get Aurora Ticket which is necessary for Deoxys, is this a bug or am I supposed to get the ticket elsewhere?
Furthermore, seeing as you say all 251 are obtainable, how do I go about finding Celebi?
Deoxys and Celebi are the only ones I'm still missing.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
I've got a question.
Been playing your version of Throwback recently, basically at the end of post-game now but here's the thing:
Where do I get the Aurora Ticket? The NPC in PokeCenter only gave me the Old Sea Map (for Mew) and Mystic Ticket (for Navel Rock - Lugia/Ho-Oh) and the Surf Pichu egg. I didn't get Aurora Ticket which is necessary for Deoxys, is this a bug or am I supposed to get the ticket elsewhere?
Furthermore, seeing as you say all 251 are obtainable, how do I go about finding Celebi?
Deoxys and Celebi are the only ones I'm still missing.

The Aurora Ticket is purposely not available in respect to RichterSnipe's official release, and my version is keeping the tradition of only including the first two generations.

Celebi: Hint-ish spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 17, 2017
The Aurora Ticket is purposely not available in respect to RichterSnipe's official release, and my version is keeping the tradition of only including the first two generations.

Spoiler:

I had a hunch that Deoxys may have been deliberately left out, thanks for confirming.
As for the hint, by last challenge do you mean Trainer Tower or Elite Four? I already did Elite Four 3 times and haven't seen anything related to Celebi. Haven't done Trainer Tower since I like doing it with maxed party and I haven't finished mine to Lvl100 yet.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022

Spoiler:

any chance of a second variant with the full 386 for those of us with OCD?

Back