• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Kranon

Kranon, the Ambassador
Days
Hello
I have some questions and suggestions
Question : when can we expect to see Gen 9 Pokémon in the game?
Suggestion: making your Pokémon follow you around (like Pokémon Heart Gold), you can make it a togglable setting if someone wants it or not.
Thank you again

First of all, It's amazing to see more and more people playing the ROM Hack and enjoying all its features, I think it's a great game, nothing short of a Mainline Game.

Second, answering your questions: In the discord channel, in the FAQ, in various posts scattered around the internet, it was more than clear that adding Gen 9 Pokémon wouldn't be possible for 2 reasons:

1. The game already has a Plethora of Pokémon crammed in, seriously, it's BRUTAL, therefore the game can do just fine with just 8 Generations and a couple of Hisuian Pokémon.

2. GBA Games have a very limited MB Size (if someone knows the exact size, feel free to comment as a reply), and Pokémon Unbound is already on its limit, it's basically a miracle we can still expect a final update because the "free space" is super, super tiny, so adding the whole Gen 9 Pokémon on Top of Following Pokémon would be, technically speaking, Impossible, there's no way to "extend" GBA Games Memory.

3. Speaking of Following Pokémon, after Playing Radical Red and HG/SS, I loved that feature, but if I'm being honest, I personally think the Following Feature doesn't translate that well into GBA Games, I'll be blunt (and sorry if this seems like a hot take) but Pokémon Following you looks BAD, it doesn't look nearly as good as they used to look on HG/SS games, the sprites also look ridiculous for huge Pokémon, and these 'mons lack soul, they just don't have the same range of emotions as the HG/SS ones, you'd need to code in each interaction, and that, as you may guess, takes plenty of Game's Memory that Pokémon Unbound simply just don't have. Also a toggle does nothing because even if you don't activate Followers, they're still coded in the game and they already took a huge part of the game's Memory.

I know it's a bummer, I'm sure settings like these would bolster Pokémon Unbound to unparalleled levels of polish and features, but take a moment, breathe, and look back at everything we already have.

I cannot say this enough, I just can't, but Pokémon Unbound is, legit, a mainline Pokémon game, it's my Headcannon that GameFreak had a project similar to Unbound but scrapped it and started developing Scarlet/Violet instead, but it was Skeli and his Team the ones that took the scrapped project and developed it, making it the absolute gem of a game we have and can enjoy today.

Now, the final step for this game is to wait for the "Final Update" to drop, and with luck, the update will be the one to make Pokémon Unbound end on the highest of notes, even if it only wraps up the main and post-games stories and only adds a 4th Batlle Facility in Cube Corp. The game would still remain as one of the best ROM Hacks in History and a Cornerstone for the future of the ROM Hacking community.

As a last comment, answer this question: When are too many Pokémon too Many? After 8 Generations or after 9 Generations in a Single Game?

Have a great weekend :)

Alphabetti_Spaghetti

Joe Mãos À Obra
Years
Great job. One of the best rom hacks nowasday. Will you someday put gen 9 in Pokemon Unbound? And will Pokemon Radical Red be compatible with Unbound Cloud?

Years
Great job. One of the best rom hacks nowasday. Will you someday put gen 9 in Pokemon Unbound? And will Pokemon Radical Red be compatible with Unbound Cloud?

Gen 9 will not be added to Pokémon Unbound from what I have read, due to space limitations and restrictions.

Regarding Radical Red's compatibility with Cloud... no idea. But personally, I don't think RR should be compatible with Cloud. Imagine being able to transfer ultra-broken mons like Necrozma-DM, Eternatus, Calyrex-S, Zacian-C to RR before even taking the fifth badge... that would make RR so easy it's not even funny. Also, RR has no EV modes, and bringing a mon with EVs to RR's min grinding mode or hardcore mode would also make them much easier than intended. That's just my opinion, though.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
How do I get 5stars black trainer card in unbound so far am at 4 stars I beat the main game rebattled the e4 caught every pokemon finished the main and national dex won 100 Times in antisis ring won 50 battles each in battle frontier have all 4 golden tickets finished all 83 current missions what else do I need to do also any news on future updates

Days
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
About time I gave props to this great game. Thanks for creating such a fun Pokemon experience Skeli, not only did I enjoy playing this on my own but this game inspired me to start making youtube videos! I look forward to your continued work on both this and other projects

Years
I had to make a comment in the first time since forever to say that holy smokes, this is such a professional ROMHack :o Ive only played for about 40 minutes so far, but playing it on my GBA-SP using my Everdrive GBA is an absolute blast!

EDIT: I even forgot I apparently tried this hack before, having commented on it before and all XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2023
Just wanted to say that this is the best, most expansive ROM hack I've ever played! Props to the entire team for making this, especially the questing system and being able to track objective locations!

I also just wanted to point out a funny interaction in the Seaport City ferry, where a trainer accuses others of cheating, and then says they'll beat you fair and square
He then proceeds to read your mind and always throw out a Pokemon that counters yours at the beginning of the battle XD

I also noticed some interesting quirks, like if you use Volt Switch and you KO their Pokemon, they will also always throw out a Pokemon that counters yours (it's almost as if they get the "Trainer is about to send out X" prompt, whereas you don't)

Days
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 23, 2023
This game is easily the best fire red rom hack I have ever played in my life. The story is elaborate and gripping, and the wide selection of Pokemon allows for diverse team building.
Full credits to the creators of this game, and keep on the amazing work.

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
Years
Unbound is a great game and all, but FU☪️K Unbound for making every other Gen 3 romhack look terrible in comparison! I mean, just look at all the blatant simping everyone is doing on this board! It's sickening.

Forgive me, I needed to get that off my chest. 🙂

Days
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
Hi, I would be very interested in translating the hack rom completely into Italian, but having no experience in this regard, could you at least give me some guidance?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Honestly, I rarely ever finish a Pokémon Fan game, even if they are really good, cause to me they have a hard time capturing the entire essence of what a Pokemon game is, to wrapped up in making it harder or focusing too much on one thing, but this game feels like a Pokemon Game, I finished the game and it was really fun. This game is definitely one of my favorite pokemon fan games of all time.

Back