• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeGen

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    "also 'legit hacking' is a means to save a tremendous amount of time for those people who don't get sucked into a delusion of reality and morality over data bits."

To this day, I still don't understand why people are so against PokeGen'd Pokemon. I'm not even talking about what one person does in their own personal save file. I'm speaking more of the multiplayer aspect. If the Pokemon is legal, how is it a disadvantage to other players who bred their own Pokemon?

How is it unfair if two players of equal skill used the exact same Pokemon with the exact same move-set and IVs except one of them was generated? It's not like the generated Pokemon was given 100% accurate Guillotine and 560 EVs in Defense.

Many of my friends honestly don't care if I distribute a PokeGen Pokemon to them because it saves them time from working and studying to get a Pokemon they really wanted with all the right natures and abilities and such. Don't even get me started on Shiny Pokemon. They have become so accessible with all these chaining videos that Shiny Pokemon aren't even special anymore. I don't want to sound like I'm initiating a flame war, because I am not. What I'm trying to do is understand why people are still against it? Why can't people understand that not everyone finds accomplishment from getting the perfect pile of data in a video game? That not everyone has the time? People want to battle but don't want to spend hours on a team that might not work. And please don't suggest Pokemon Showdown for team testing needs because I feel that that is just as bad as PokeGen. You're using an outside source to play their battle system and character models. Hell even cloning to me feels like cheating as well yet it's viewed as more acceptable than PokeGen. If people are against cheating, why not just breed an exact duplicate of your Pokemon instead of having someone duplicate it for you?

Anyways that's beside the point. This is all opinion based, however, I still have some respect for the legal boundaries of video games. If people hate receiving hacked Pokemon (even if they're legal under 510 EVs and 31 IVs), then I will not trade them PokeGen Pokemon. If people don't care about it, I'm more than happy to trade them one. I understand that Game Freak is against PokeGen and it's easy to see why. That's one of the main reasons I don't participate in official tournaments because only 1 of my teams was actually bred in my game legitimately.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    In my opinion, I don't really care one way or another where a Pokemon comes from, so long as it's legal. Another thing, if I am to be traded or battled against with a gen'd Pokemon, the least the other person can do is not try to pass it off as legit. Saying "I genned my team; they are all legal" or "The Pikachu I'm trading you was cloned from a legit event; it is legal" would be nice too.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While I do not mind it (as long as the stats are legit and etc), I can totally understand where is the anger and disapprove coming from, as those players are playing Pokemon the traditional way, catching, breeding, EV training, etc., so it's still regarded as unfair for them even if you didn't create something like a Wondertomb. {XD}

It's really up to preferences. :D It is advisable to tell the other players you are using a Gen'd Pokemon when possible, if they don't like it then move on. Oh, there's also Showdown an another kind of option. :)

Years
  • As long as they are well within the legal boundaries I wouldn't mind, but I would question the rare ones.(Like a perfect Mewtwo)

But I don't even have the equipment to have a PokeGened Pokemon on a real game. Nor do I have means to have one traded in.(I don't have gen 6 yet)

Reactions: Sun

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm totally fine with PokeGenned Pokemon if they were made to be completely legal. I don't see any problem with it, especially since it saves a lot of time. Not everyone can do things the hard and lengthy way, and honestly... just because you do doesn't mean other people are obligated to. I think the main reason why some people will say that they don't like PokeGenned Pokemon is because they adhere to the traditional way, and while that's absolutely fine, I don't think others should be frowned upon for genning just because Pokemon apparently "has to be played the 'correct way'".
    Of course, in certain situations, such as official tournaments, using hacked legal Pokemon is out of the question, as everything is expected to be legitimate in those cases (and using a hacked team would be frowned upon because you essentially lied about it), but in other battles I think it's alright to use a Genned team.

So yeah, that's my two cents on the matter. I've gotta give kudos to everyone who plays completely cleanly and hack-free, because not everyone can be as pure as you guys. Lmao.

Reactions: Sun

itsSacred

Sly and Strong like a Blaziken
    Years
  • I wish I could PokeGen a legal team for battling, I don't have time to train a team to be perfect.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2015
    I personally don't like anyone who uses genned pokemon, even if they could be legit. For example, I (before I lost the cartridge somewhere) once had soulsilver file with a lv100 scizor, which I had painstakingly grinded through the elite four some thirty-forty times in order to obtain, with an attack into the 300's. It took a ton of time and effort to get to that level, and I was really proud of it. If I battled with someone who had genned the same exact scizor, I'd feel cheated.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I mean, I can understand the objections to it. The fact is, it does diminish the value of rare/shiny/high IV Pokemon--this is a concept which applies to everything, not just Pokemon. If they found a way to manufacture gold, its value would go down, and everyone who obtained gold the hard way would instantly become less wealthy due to the mere existence of an easier way to get it. So I don't think this is really a question of "Why do people get so upset at PokeGen?" I think the real question is "Are these bits of data that represent imaginary creatures really worth getting so upset over?" To some people they are, to some people they aren't.

I think it all comes down to this: Pokemon are just data. That's why something like Pokegen is possible--because data can always be spoofed and edited in some way or another. I think people who make a big deal about PokeGen forget that.

I don't think there's really anything wrong with it...but, like everyone said, there should be a fine line between PokeGen'd Pokemon and non-PokeGen'd ones. For tournaments, for example, any given tournament should either explicitly allow PokeGen, or expressly prohibit them. That way people who would rather use PokeGen to get their 'mons could compete, while the people who prefer to get them the old fashioned way could compete as well, with things still being kept fair.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2019
    It's honestly a mixed bag for me. Like, there are pokemon that I don't mind being genned within legal parameters, but there are others I think, even under those parameters, that give genners an advantage over people who get all their pokemon legitimately(whether out of preference or because they simply have no means to).

I speak of pokemon that can't be bred for ivs, of course. It's completely unfeasible to ask me or any other person who prefers wholly legit pokemon to continuously soft-reset their games for a Zapdos with ivs of values between 30-31, with HP Ice. Thus, people such as me practically can't use such pokemon on their teams, at least not with ideal stats.

It's even more ridiculous with event pokemon such as mythical pokemon and non-mythical pokemon with exclusive moves. Especially from events years long since passed.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    Its unfair because I had to climb a tower and fight two bosses, one of whom has sustain, to capture Deoxys. A hacker can press a few buttons to get a shiny Deoxys with 6 IVs.

This is why mega evolution has proven such a problem for Pokemon Showdown players, because they had to deal with them all at once. The way the game is structured, 3DS players had to work hard for each mega stone.

And while we're on the subject, can everyone stop saying its legit. It is by no definition of the word, legit. The Pokemon Company owns the code to the game, so copying and distributing the game without their permission, let alone paying them, it is completely illegal. Thereby, NOT LEGIT!

Years
  • I'm fine with that, I have a busy schedule and it's a great way to save time and enjoy high level matches. I often also play Magic the Gathering with proxies with friend. No need to break your financial back buying 100$ cards, just use proxies on both sides in the privacy of your home. We love it. Similarly farming perfect pokemons is a harrowing farming job. If you can gen your pokemon, I can gen mine too.

The thing not to do with PokeGen'd Pokemons: Tournaments or course. But also lie to someone about them being legit and beat the hell out of him. In this case, it's lying and cheating.

Do it among friends and set the rules straight.

Back