• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokemon Emerald - Johto Starters

How long did it take you to get to the point of the Johto Starters in Emerald?

• Several Weeks

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Several Months

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Over A Year

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Awesome Post

It took me a full month (in summer vacation) to complete the game and fill my dex. Unfortunately, you only get two random options:
    They give you a choice of the three starters-90%
    Or give you a ticket to fight Ash and Gary is some random island-10%
    Unfortunately, I got to fight Ash and Gary, which took me long. Sorry, but I wasn't able to get the starter for some reason having to do with luck and math, but I hope to myself to start the game over if I can(got so attached to my pokemon) and start over to get the starters.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • took me about two months with my friends XD, i still have that emerald now that i think about it should be in my gameboy advance lol

Pokémon Grey

Generation V
    Years
  • It took me a full month (in summer vacation) to complete the game and fill my dex. Unfortunately, you only get two random options:
    They give you a choice of the three starters-90%
    Or give you a ticket to fight Ash and Gary is some random island-10%
    Unfortunately, I got to fight Ash and Gary, which took me long. Sorry, but I wasn't able to get the starter for some reason having to do with luck and math, but I hope to myself to start the game over if I can(got so attached to my pokemon) and start over to get the starters.

U can't face Ash & Gary in Emerald
    XD

Years
  • I never got up to that point :(

Maybe I should pick up my Emerald and start playing again and accomplish that...

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Took a long time, but I got it about twothird of the way through completing my national dex. I've finished national, but I still have yet to bother trading over all the unown forms.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I've done it once, and the reason was that, at the time, it was the only way to obtain the Johto starters. Thank goodness we now have HGSS, because completing the Hoenn Dex was a bit daunting! Luckily, someone lent me their GBA, so using my Link Cable & GBASP, Emerald and FireRed cartridges, and borrowed Ruby and Sapphire cartridges, I finally managed to complete the Hoenn Dex!

The Johto starter I chose was Totodile, and I still have it in a box at Level 5. Originally, I was going to redo a savefile and complete the Hoenn Dex again for Chikorita, and then do it one more time for Cyndaquil, my preferred Johto starter, in my permanent file. Sadly, I do not have the borrowed Sapphire cartridge and the borrowed GBA console anymore, so I most likely won't be able to achieve the feat again in Emerald. :( And it's not even my permanent file...

Anyway, I plan to do not-so-intensive trading with HeartGold, and eventually compile all of the Johto starters in one game. Much easier than the method Emerald required. >_>

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    completing a pokedex is a monumental task, even with a link cable, back when I played this i was a lot younger and very incompetent, if I tryed now, considering in this game there is only 386, I might be able to do it in a few weeks, if I could find my old gba and link cable.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • I got Emerald the day it came out way back in 2005 and I completed the Hoenn dex in 2007. It definitely felt good to have a Totodile for the first time since GSC. I completed my first ever Nat'l dex in Emerald later that year too.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    I have a question. I chose Torchic, but I haven't seen any Pokemon in the Treecko line yet. I haven't even saw Swampert. How do you see trade evos without trading, and how do you see the starters I listed above?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I bought Emerald about 3 months before Diamond and Pearl came out.

So I had just completed Emerald and the Battle frontier all Silver medals when I learned about the Johto starters... but then a week later Pearl came through my letter box and I never played Emerald for ages haha n.n

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Luckily when I got the johto starters I had three other friends who had the game,and we all worked together trading pokemon, etc. So this only took me a few weeks to complete. I also traded some pokemon over from my ruby and sapphire.

Now, I don't have any friends with any of the gen three games. So if I want to complete the Emerald pokedex again it's going to take me a long time.

Back