• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon Platinum shatters Nintendo DS sales record

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Wow, if Platinum sold that much I wonder what a remake of Gold and Silver would sell....

Yeah... now that I think about it, how could they (Gamefreak/Nintendo/whoever) pass it up? I have a strong feeling it will happen sooner or later.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 2, 2009
    You know what,i'm not gunna purchase this because it's too much like d/p it's just like playing them again,i don't see the point.But if they make a new region/pokemon for there next game i wil probably buy that because it's something new.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • I can't say I'm surprised. Platinum has been getting a lot of praise, and with the first video it had probably changed the minds of anyone that thought they weren't going to be getting it due to it being "a horrid D/P copy".

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, apparently Platinum is the fastest selling DS game in Japan ever.

First week sales: (from someone on bmgf who says it's from Famitsu)

Pokemon Yellow: 851,091
    Pokemon Crystal: 707,580
    Pokemon Emerald: 643,987

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Yeah, 1 million is a very impressive number, actually. Let's see if it'll end up breaking any monthly records. ;D

Sceptile16

Pokemon Master...In The Making
    Years
  • Well with this great break out, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing the remake of G/S/C pretty soon...Plus I'm pretty sure with all of this money the company is making I'm not going to be surprised with seeing Generation 5 of pokemon within a year or 2.

Just wait until it hits the US...WOW!

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • US Will bring millions, probably billions:) I don't see why it should be so popular, it will just be a lame remake of D/P with only few nigh differences. Such as Giratina and Toon World. Maybe some graphics and the maps but same storyline so what is the point?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I, on the other hand, actually think that US sales won't really surpass Japanese sales. :x

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • This proves a very valuable point.
    Screw the haters of pokemon.

WOW That's a lot of pokemon! Bai bai microsoft & sony!11
    Nintendo owns in handhelds..

Platinum is the source of DS's life from the day it's released in US. Anyone without platinum for their DS is considered a nerd.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • So how did those numbers compare to the originals, I mean, I would've thought D/P would've sold more at least, is anyone out there waiting until Platinum comes out and didn't buy D/P? It seems odd.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • So this is all of a sudden MY thread now? Fail.

Back on topic, yeah, it might break 1.5-2M by the end of the week, but likely won't go anywhere in net sales. Few Pokémon third games have ever matched the sales of their predecessors.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • "Within forty-six days, the games (Talking about DP) sold three million units, becoming the fastest DS games to do so, and by the end of the year, the number increased to five million units in just under three months."

Platinum sold 1 million in three days, jeez, just shatter that too. o_o

Sheesh... what can we expect Platinum to do, in the next 38(ish) days, huh? XD

Yeah, apparently Platinum is the fastest selling DS game in Japan ever.

First week sales: (from someone on bmgf who says it's from Famitsu)

Pokemon Yellow: 851,091
    Pokemon Crystal: 707,580
    Pokemon Emerald: 643,987

Wow; I'd have thought Emerald would have sold more than they did, in the first week.. o.o But still, comparing to Platinum's first three days, those three are all bottom-feeders.. XD Wonder what the sales of Platinum will be like, now...?

Years
  • Yeah, I'd like to know how the thread's first fews posts fell out of order (I'm pretty sure I was the author).

Did imports to America and Europe play a role in these high numbers? A lot of us couldn't wait for a State-side release after all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry guys, I actuall meant to say 48 million. If i confused anyone, I didn't mean to :P. Any I still think It's amazing that Platinum was that popular in Japan, I just thought only the Poke freaks would buy it. I guess everyone is a Poke freak there.

Back