• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red/Blue Full Color Hack (RB remade for GBC)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I'm noticing that this rom hack is being sold as cartridges on eBay. Would you recommend me getting one? Also, is it possible to trade with another player?
    In all honesty, I would recommend a flashcart over a repro for this purpose anyday because of the simple fact that hacks get updates. My Everdrive GB x7 takes just about all of what I throw to it like a champ. Now granted we are talking a pretty high cost for the x7 if you want to play Pokemon games that use the real time clock, but it does pay for itself if you're looking to play hacks or your own compiled stuff on your GBC.

Years
  • In all honesty, I would recommend a flashcart over a repro for this purpose anyday because of the simple fact that hacks get updates. My Everdrive GB x7 takes just about all of what I throw to it like a champ. Now granted we are talking a pretty high cost for the x7 if you want to play Pokemon games that use the real time clock, but it does pay for itself if you're looking to play hacks or your own compiled stuff on your GBC.

I looked up what flash cart you mentioned and it is higher than what I would be comfortable spending. Though I am actually thinking of picking up the repro for this game as a collectors item since I found one that is reasonably priced, but I generally recommend playing it on an emulator.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I looked up what flash cart you mentioned and it is higher than what I would be comfortable spending. Though I am actually thinking of picking up the repro for this game as a collectors item since I found one that is reasonably priced, but I generally recommend playing it on an emulator.

You're not wrong, the price is defintely the one big drawback. To be fair, I do use it for more than just Pokemon so I do maximize it's use. Emulators are definitely just as viable when you have ones with the accuracy of BGB or Sameboy. 😁

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2021
    I just saw you work on iimarckus about the Full Color Red and omg, I want to do the same but in yellow. I asked you about using the xp bar in my version (reading it thru I noticed you open sourced it, nice!)

Now I am very into knowing if it's possible to transplant this full color palet to yellow. I noticed you made a red and a blue patch, currently I'm using PikaMap, and it gives me the option to change the tileset, but I don't know if changing the tileset for a colored one will make the game colorful on itself, or if something more elaborate would be needed... I'm very curious if your patches could be used to work on yellow!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I just saw you work on iimarckus about the Full Color Red and omg, I want to do the same but in yellow. I asked you about using the xp bar in my version (reading it thru I noticed you open sourced it, nice!)

Now I am very into knowing if it's possible to transplant this full color palet to yellow. I noticed you made a red and a blue patch, currently I'm using PikaMap, and it gives me the option to change the tileset, but I don't know if changing the tileset for a colored one will make the game colorful on itself, or if something more elaborate would be needed... I'm very curious if your patches could be used to work on yellow!

I'm not sure if this will help, but Danny-E did release a Yellow graphics patch variant as well!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2021
    yeah, it changes pokémon and player sprites, but map sprites remain the original pallet

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello I am so pleased to find this full color hack project. I felt uneasy a few weeks back when I picked up Red for the first time in years and attempted to play in b&w or the limited palettes on offer. I can't believe you guys did a full colorization of pokemon red/blue, it's so surreal and pleasing to play all over again! The map colors are based on Kantos from GSC right?

Nice catch! I'll look into fixing this soon!

I saw this binocular bug too. Any chance this could be fixed?

Either way thank you guys so much for doing this! 👍

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is such a fantastic hack.
    I own the EverDrive GB X7 which I would like to play the hacks on it but I'm concerned about the damaging of original hardware. Is that still a possibility and what made it an issue in the first place?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I saw this binocular bug too. Any chance this could be fixed?
    I made a reminder for myself to look into this soon.

I own the EverDrive GB X7 which I would like to play the hacks on it but I'm concerned about the damaging of original hardware. Is that still a possibility and what made it an issue in the first place?
    For starters, it was never confirmed to be a real possibility. It could have always been a false positive.
    If there ever was a real risk, it would be because of writing to VRAM outside of vblank while the LCD is on.
    Regardless, Drenn put a lot of effort into optimizing the code to guarantee this never happens. There should be no serious risk of damaging hardware.

Years
  • I made a reminder for myself to look into this soon.

For starters, it was never confirmed to be a real possibility. It could have always been a false positive.
    If there ever was a real risk, it would be because of writing to VRAM outside of vblank while the LCD is on.
    Regardless, Drenn put a lot of effort into optimizing the code to guarantee this never happens. There should be no serious risk of damaging hardware.

Ok thank you for clarifying. It's really helpful. So overall it's not something I should worry about. Much appreciated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    I'm not sure why a thread here at PC hasn't existed for this hack for the last three years.
    Some of you already know about this hack, cause I have talked about it on these forums, but I figured since I just released a new version that I would finally create a thread for it.

Here are the updates in this new version:
    • Exp bar displays on the stats screen (thanks to xCrystal)
    • Fixed the party menu hp bar healing palette bug
    • Fixed the Transform/already owned Pokeball tile bug (reported by JahnFvN)
    • Fixed the Exp.All/Exp bar animation bug (reported by Shadowmn214)
    • Fixed the trade animation palette bugs (reported by kunparekh18)
    • Fixed the battle screen palette assignment bugs (reported by everybody)
    • Fixed the player blackout palette

hi, thanks for the great rom. it's perfect except for 2 of the color pallets are two bright for me. the yellow pallet for some of the electric pokemon like pikachu and the electric moves such as thunder schock, thunderwave, and thunderbolt are too bright for my eyes. the blue pallet is a little bit too bright for the move bubble. can you tell me which program you use to edit the game code? i would like to learn and see how to change those issues. thanks again for the great rom!

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey Danny, I've been playing this hack again and I'm enjoying it a lot! 😀

BTW there's a bug when Professor Oak messes up his dialogue. This happens when he gives you 5 free pokeballs. It looks like this:

"Just throw a POKe to catch it!nd tr"

Years
    • Seen today
    Just to show pictures of the bugs I've encountered. As per the last post - this dialogue of Oak's messes up and looks like one overlapping another. This is when he gives you five free pokeballs.

286a9358b9f4c9c2388b19dfb5ccf5232a803a26.png

The first time you meet Bill, he's wearing green clothes. When you exit and re-enter his house, Bill is wearing brown clothes instead.

6c3a27337341434f18425b8e14b108bda3c2b8a1.png

Also I've encountered a bug when you heal a pokemon during battle that isn't the top pokemon, the health of the pokemon at the top of your list flashes orange briefly.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    The hack Red++ is full color but has these bugs fixed, and colors are better in many places.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2020
    Hi, it seems like the sound slows down when ever there is a chat box or on the pause menu. Should this happen?

By the way great job!

Years
    • Seen today
    Something I've just noticed regarding the diploma you get after completing the Pokedex - the player's sprite is absent from the diploma in the color patch version.

e415696b3fdd5561bef6841823fb965f85ce171a.png

Update: Another bug I forget to mention is in Saffron city. If you talk to any Team Rocket npc, and then move towards the sleeping npc's position outside the Silph building - sometimes he takes a little longer to appear and sometimes he doesn't appear in the right place.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello , I'm new here and I have a simple question I tried to apply the hack to my italian rom , but the game remain stuck on white screen...
    I had used Lunar ISP to apply the hack , but I'm not sure if it is a problem with a localized rom .
    The hack is wonderful and i will be very plaesed to play in italian if it is possible

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    can you tell me which program you use to edit the game code?
    Any text editor. See: https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc

BTW there's a bug when Professor Oak messes up his dialogue. This happens when he gives you 5 free pokeballs. It looks like this:

"Just throw a POKe to catch it!nd tr"
    That bug is from the original game.

The first time you meet Bill, he's wearing green clothes. When you exit and re-enter his house, Bill is wearing brown clothes instead.
    Thanks, I just fixed this one.

Also I've encountered a bug when you heal a pokemon during battle that isn't the top pokemon, the health of the pokemon at the top of your list flashes orange briefly.
    I can't reproduce this one.

Hi, it seems like the sound slows down when ever there is a chat box or on the pause menu. Should this happen?
    Not sure what you mean. I can't hear any issue.

the player's sprite is absent from the diploma in the color patch version.
    Thanks, I just fixed this one.

If you talk to any Team Rocket npc, and then move towards the sleeping npc's position outside the Silph building - sometimes he takes a little longer to appear and sometimes he doesn't appear in the right place.
    Not sure what you mean.

I tried to apply the hack to my italian rom
    You typically cannot apply a patch intended for one rom onto a different rom.

Also,

there's a problem with the sprite of Articuno that appears when you look through the left-side binoculars on Route 15
    I know it's been ages, but, I've finally fixed this bug.

Also, I've recently overhauled the "Crystal Audio" version of this hack, fixed tons of bugs and overall added a lot of polish.
    I haven't created new IPS patches but it's simple enough to build for yourself here: https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc/tree/crysaudio

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey, anyone knows why you can't use a randomizer on this game? Every time I've tried this the game crashed in the first fight against Blue, also with BGB and VBA-M. Without the randomzier, everything works normal. Thanks!

Edit: Seems to be a checksum fail, BGB sais this. Anyone now how to fix it?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
      Unbenannt.JPG
      248.1 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:
    Back