• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Stars: Snowman and Dolphin? More Gen 7 Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I'll start by reminding everyone what was in the Chinese leak:
    Spoiler:

To anyone who thinks these guesses were lucky, I find it nearly impossible that someone would be able to guess half these things, especially "rugby monkey"!!!!! I mean seriously, that is anything but a lucky guess. So, why the apparent absence of a snowman or dolphin pokemon?

After the Sun and Moon Demo was datamined it seemed like 3 possibilities explained the discrepancy of the missing snowman and dolphin:

1. Crawbrawlers' evo = Snowman and Tapu Fini = Dolphin
    2. The leaks were peppered with false/misleading information.
    3. There are more pokemon not included in the Demo data.

I am well aware that there is a possibility that the "snowman" was slightly mistranslated and was actually describing the "yeti" aspect of Crabominal, the yeti crab. Secondly, Tapu Fini mostly resembles a swordfish or a marlin, and more remotely like a Dolphin -- though, I can sort of see how it could be based on a dolphin...it's quite a stretch. In the case of the dolphin prediction, the explanation 2 makes more sense than explanation 1. Though, explanation 1 makes more sense for Crabominal. I am inclined to think that explanation 3 may still be on the table though.

There is a distinct possibility that the Chinese leaker was aware of Pokemon Stars. The rumored Switch version of Sun and Moon. Eurogamers sources on Pokemon Stars reported, "We've also heard suggestion there will be more creatures to collect in the Switch version, although not all of our sources could confirm this." Though, it's unclear whether this means "more gen 7 pokemon" or just a greater variety of previous generation pokemon. Could the dolphin and snowman pokemon be included in the third version on the Switch?

Moreover, the Chinese leak may actually support the rumor more new gen 7 creatures will be introduced in pokemon stars since, let's be honest, the chinese leak seemed to be off somehow when describing a couple of the new pokemon yet got everything else correct, and quite specifically so, ie. "rugby monkey". It seems like if the leaker were actually describing Crabominal, he would have specified "Crab" as well. And, obviously, Tapu Fini, as I stated, does not actually resemble a dolphin all that much.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    "ABOMINABLE" SNOWMAN. Crabonimal. They're basically the same word. God people are reaching. It's clear we got everything. Case closed.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I like your theory of new Pokemon in Pokemon Star, even if I don't really think it will happen.

We know the Chinese's leaks are a bit off since they had the wrong typing for Ninetails and Rattata (not far away tho). They did said there was an alola form of Abra and Growlithe... maybe it's a clue? (If said theory is right)

Years
  • As Mawa said, the Chinese leaks did get most stuff right about Sun & Moon but also a few things wrong, such as mentioning some Alolan Forms that were confirmed false.

Plus, adding more new Pokemon within a generation will cause compatibility issues, which is why I correctly speculated Magearna was a 7th Gen Pokemon after its reveal (since it was revealed before Sun & Moon's announcement).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Here's a different, non-stars related theory (and also just 'not everything in leaks are necessarily correct): anything mentioned that was incorrect was merely ideas during development that ended up shelved. That happens a lot in games, stories, movies, etc that ideas end up getting scrapped or unused. Pokemon has this too. Shellos was to be a generation 3 Pokemon, for example. Consider unused in-game events like the Azure Flute in DPPt as well.

Historically while we have gotten new mega evolutions (XY/ORAS) or forms within the same gen (Rotom/Giratina), we haven't yet gotten new Pokemon not within existing code for earlier games within the same gen to my knowledge (ignoring cameos like Munchlax/Bonsly in Pokemon XD). I still put little stock into the Stars claim given the absolute lack of source citing beyond 'we heard suggestions of [vague statement that could mean multiple things]'! Yeah, okay, I heard a lot of things too, doesn't make it legit.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Crabbomible is most likely the snowman.

It's not snowman like the can you build, but snowman as a man or creature that lives in the snow. Like the Yeti, which Crabomible represents.

Tapu fini is debatable, but I think it's based on this:
    Pokemon Stars: Snowman and Dolphin? More Gen 7 Pokemon?

An extinct dolphin, which would fit as many pokemon seem to have links to extinct creatures in Sun and Moon. Tapu Fini's shell is an exact replica of the dolphin. The only difference is the horn, but there's long nosed dolphins, or this aspect could have been taken from the narwhal, a similar dolphin pokemon. This would lead to this part of the leak pretty well imo.

So it's unlikely we'll see those two pokemon in stars, if it's real. There is a small chance for new pokemon according to the rumor, but I don't see it happening, it's not something GF would do.

Kobazco

Gex Fan
    Years
    • they/she
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    Crabbomible reminds me more of the abominable snowman? Oh well I guess you did say kind of yeti like I can see that. Although it doesnt make sense for them to add new pokemon to Pokemon "Star" because that would make it incompatible with other Gen 7 games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm definitely intrigued by the concept of a third game follow-up game to Sun & Moon on a completely different console regardless. The fact that Sun & Moon have left so many ways in which a third game could pick up on makes it even more exciting as to what direction they will go in next.

As for new Pokémon, I really wouldn't be surprised if this next game did have a handful of them. There does seem to be a few gaps in which new Pokémon could easily fit in such as an evolution for Komala or Pyukumuku. Surely if ORAS can have new megas, then it's not impossible for a third game of the same generation to have a few new Pokémon?

Edit: So dataminers have found walking and running models for all 802 Pokémon which could indicate that the following Pokémon feature could return in the next game if it is for the Switch as rumoured.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I thought it was already accepted that "Snowman" and "Yeti" have the same word in Chinese so they were actually talking about Crabominable? (and that the dolphin was related to either Wishiwashi or Tapu Fini)

I don't think I'd be THAT surprised if we got new Pokemon mid-gen (because Gamefreak can be unpredictable) but I still don't see it as being very likely. Maybe they might add some new Ultra Beasts if we end up exploring more of Ultra Space. (and they have their own pokedex slot so they count as "new pokemon")

I'd kind of like to see some weaker Ultra Space "beasts" that are more in line with regular Pokemon (as in they can evolve and breed etc) but still have that alien vibe to them.

Edit: So dataminers have found walking and running models for all 802 Pokémon which could indicate that the following Pokémon feature could return in the next game if it is for the Switch as rumoured.

Is that for all 802 Pokemon though? I only saw a post that had about 10 of them.

If it was just a couple you could pass it off as a scrapped feature, but if it's all 802 it's hard to imagine they'd go to all that trouble and then shelve it. That's a lot of animating.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Is that for all 802 Pokemon though? I only saw a post that had about 10 of them.

If it was just a couple you could pass it off as a scrapped feature, but if it's all 802 it's hard to imagine they'd go to all that trouble and then shelve it. That's a lot of animating.

Apparently, it's walking and running animations for every single Pokémon and form including Ultra Beasts etc. Like you said, it would be a waste to scrap something as time-consuming as this so I'm hoping it is for an upcoming game!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Regarding the animations - it may well be for the Poke Finder (the photo thing), which is were you see Pokemon walking or running about!. Everything having one of some sort would make sense too in case the game calls the wrong model/pokemon (or hackers swapping it) so something displays. That's something Game Freak have done often, and why say shinylocked Pokemon still have shiny forms in the data, etc. And then when future games do happen, you have the rest of the models ready to go to.

Certainly seeing it adapted for overworld pokes following you again would be neat!... But I don't think that was the purpose of this.

Back