• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon TRE2: Team Rocket Edition, The Revamped Episode

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
I agree, it will be tough to remember the effectiveness for each type. I will make sure there is an easily accessible, in-game, type chart to reference.
I'm curious how big the Pokedex will be? Because with so many types it would be best to have as large a Pokedex as possible.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
I'm curious how big the Pokedex will be? Because with so many types it would be best to have as large a Pokedex as possible.

I added in the full evolution line for every pokemon family in the original 151. That is 32 additional pokemon, so it brings the total up to 183.

More Updates:
I added in some more routines today. This time I added in the function to modify the attack damage based upon the time of day, landscape, and other battle variables.

I will finish up the new "modify attack damage" routines by adding in the abilities that affect the attack damage, and then add in the text that will let you know the attack damage was affected (with the option to turn this feature off once you get sick of it). After that, I will take another break and try to finish GlitchMap.

Last edited:

trenhoj

The Pikadex Gym leader and shiny hunter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 5, 2019
Is the hack still being made? It looks awesome.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
M
Yep! Actually the guy that posted right above you is the creator of the hack so...

Thanks.

yeah, the hack is still being worked on.

My main focus at the moment is adding in all of the new battle features. New Pokemon, attacks and types are all implemented.

I'm in the processing of adding in new statuses (radioactive, fear, etc) and effects from new battle variables, (abilities, environment, etc).

Then I have to go back to the moves that affect these statuses and battle variables and make sure they work properly.

So I'm making progress, but I hope to finish these battle additions within the upcoming weeks.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
I hope this gets nominated for awards. It really looks amazing thus far.
Thanks!

Is a beta almost ready?
No, there will be no public beta.

For an update:
I finished adding in the ways a moves damage can be modified (type effectiveness, STAB, the environment, a pokemon's ability, etc). I also added in the text that alerts the player how the attack the modified, but this text can be set to a "Reduced" mode where it will only display the type effectiveness and ability.

Up next comes adding Special Defense, and then adding in all of the new status's and move effects.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Man.. Just looking at these screenshots and videos make salivate. The best quality gen 1 hack to date.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Man.. Just looking at these screenshots and videos make salivate. The best quality gen 1 hack to date.

Thanks, glad you like them!

I managed to make some good progress in the past few days.

For starters, I re-arranges the Saved Data banks so you are now able to have 2 separate game saves. One will be for Challenge Mode, and one will be for Adventure Mode.

For those interested, here is how to I managed to do it:

There are four different SRAM banks. Pokemon Red uses two of them for the PC boxes (each one holds 6 boxes), one of them for the Game Save, and one of them for the Hall of Fame.

I removed the Hall of Fame feature and now use that bank for another game save, and then separated the PC banks so one is linked to the first game save and the other is linked to the second game save.

To do this, I had to reduce the amount of PC boxes for each game save to 8 (I was able to fit 2 more PC boxes into each SRAM bank since I reduced the number of pokemon in each PC box to 15).

I also added in 5 new status effects that a Pokemon can have during battle. They are:
-Radioactive
-Wounded
-Cursed
-Fear
-Invisible

I've been making good progress, so expect more updates soon

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
For starters, I re-arranged the Saved Data banks
Don't you just love the disassembly?

That's cool, though. I've never really paid attention to the SRAM banks before. I didn't know pokered used 4 of them.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Don't you just love the disassembly?

That's cool, though. I've never really paid attention to the SRAM banks before. I didn't know pokered used 4 of them.

The disassembly is an amazing project. I've been able to get so much more done each time I work on it than I expected.

And yep, all of the save functions (though they haven't been thoroughly commented) can be found in engine/save.asm. I can send you a link to my commit if you want to see the comments I've added

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
We're all waiting for this gem.
Are there any other hacks available from you while waiting?
Huge compliments to your effort.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
We're all waiting for this gem.
Are there any other hacks available from you while waiting?
Huge compliments to your effort.

Thanks! The only hack I have is the original Pokemon Team Rocket Edition, but it is 10 years old and was created without most of the resources available now (well, mainly pokered) and before I learned assembly. So please don't use of as a testament of my skills!

For another update:

I am currently in the midst of converting most of the temporary in-battle effects into permanent for-that-battle. This means that if you switch out Pokemon that is confused, disabled, toxic, etc or has stat modifiers, the effects will remain when you return that Pokemon into battle.

After battle, these stat changes are erased (except for toxic). I had already implemented this feature in the previous version, but now it has been added through the disassembly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Will there be a Special Editon Gen 3 Port?

Probably not, since I don't even know what that means. Can you explain?

Do you mean Fire Red/Leaf Green? If so, then no, that will never happen. I've never played those games and am not interested in doing another hack after this one.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2018
This hack looks too good to be true - I love the concept of stealing other pokemon - exactly what Team Rocket are about!! I will add that I too am slightly worried by the 25 types, especially with only the gen 1 family lines being added. I just don't want what happened in Pokemon Brown to happen, where new types are added but there are so few pokemon, with so few moves of those types that they never have a marked effect on gameplay. However, since this looks like a total overhaul of typings, it could well work and obviously it's your baby and you can do whatever you want with it!!
Wishing the best of luck in development!!

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
This hack looks too good to be true - I love the concept of stealing other pokemon - exactly what Team Rocket are about!! I will add that I too am slightly worried by the 25 types, especially with only the gen 1 family lines being added. I just don't want what happened in Pokemon Brown to happen, where new types are added but there are so few pokemon, with so few moves of those types that they never have a marked effect on gameplay. However, since this looks like a total overhaul of typings, it could well work and obviously it's your baby and you can do whatever you want with it!!
Wishing the best of luck in development!!

Thanks! You're right, there are definitely going to be some types with very little Pokemon underneath it (like Cyber or Bone). But, looking back at Gen 1, you had types like Ice, Dragon, and Ghost, with only 5, 3 and 3 Pokemon each, respectively.

So these types certainly can be removed without affecting game play. I don't think the addition of them hinders the gameplay, (besides players having to learn the type advantages/disadvantages), it just gives players more options of having an effective party, removes some repetitiveness of Pokemon encounters, and gives the players a new experience.

In terms of the moves being spread thin: I added in over 100 new moves (while also removing over 40 and updating others), bringing the total to 255 (the maximum possible using a single byte move ID).

Predictably, the types with the lowest amount of moves also have a low amount of Pokemon, these being Ghost, Bone, Radio, Dragon, and Goo. The types with the highest amount of moves are ones that contain attacks that Pokemon can typically learn even if they aren't of that type; these being Physical, Fighting, Sound, and Magic.

Also remember that along with these new types come new status ailments, new battle environments, new in-battle effects, and new trainers. And with all of the above comes new items, new HMs, new storylines, and new maps.

So I hope that eases your concern!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
... bringing the total to 255 (the maximum possible using a single byte move ID).!
Are you sure it isn't 256? Or is $00 or $FF reserved for certain logic? Congrats for having the patience to define that many moves, though. I would go crazy.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Are you sure it isn't 256? Or is $00 or $FF reserved for certain logic? Congrats for having the patience to define that many moves, though. I would go crazy.

Yeah the game uses 00 for 'no move', for logic of displaying a Pokemon's attacks, auto-learning moves and using struggle. Thanks. I actually enjoyed coming up with the moves, but I'm going to be avoiding the animations for a while

Back