• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post flairs! Top or side layout?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sameeee, I love legacy, standard kinda makes my eyes hurt - though I used it for years so idk why I dislike it now. sdfsdf
    There are at least 6 people in this thread who enjoy Side postbit style and flairs, don't worry :3 I stopped using Top yeeears ago, because it just looked really weird and awkward on desktop when the styles and screens got wider, as Ash also says. If fixed width forum skins were a thing again, it'd look better (and I used to use Top posbit on fixed styles!) but still just be worse use of space than Legacy/Side imo. It totally works fine on mobile though, due to the very different aspect ratios and text size and all.

I love my Legacy post flairs but I try to make sure they don't completely crash on Top at least :3

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I've always used top but I think my flair would be decent on the side layout cuz' it's just a gradient lol

Years
  • btw I've actually tried using Legacy for a good while, and eventually I stopped using it for a few main reasons

one of them was because there's a massive space in the post content area which doesn't go away, like, ever. I suppose it's because I have signatures disabled, but I'm not willing to enable them again just for the sake of the post layout being bearable. I disabled them in the first place for a cleaner browsing experience, but since most people make shorter posts it's just annoying to deal with.

even in the case of longer posts, it stretches out the post flair unnecessarily. on standard, it doesn't matter whether your posts are long or short, it doesn't really affect the post flair at all, because the flair isn't part of the post content area. but in legacy, it seems to act like it is, so it stretches depending on the length of the post so that's also something to take into consideration when designing flairs when can be kind of annoying depending on the flair that you have.

so not only do you (generally) have to design flairs that don't totally look like a mess on both post layouts, but you have to be mindful of how it looks when stretched out as well if you ever decide to make a long post.

also while I browse PC fullscreen i can imagine if it may be annoying for half screen people to browse, doubly annoying if they have to read a long post while not browsing on fullscreen. the legacy folk can argue that there's a huge unnecessary space in-between the username/usertitle and the user information, but you can double that space in legacy pretty easily if you cared enough to because you can stretch the post flair as long as you want.

I do respect whatever preferences people have at the end of the day, though. I understand how legacy peeps like the more condensed information because it looks neater that way. but the little nitpicks are something that I can't deal with orz

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Wait, there's a side layout?

Yup :3

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I think whatever extra white space is left underneath short posts makes it easier to read and gives nice space to distinguish posts by, than the cramped mixture of flairs and post text that becomes of the Top postbit style. But many posts really are long enough to make the experience on Side postbit a smooth read if you turn off signatures. If you don't turn sigs off, I suppose you don't care as much about a smooth read and might as well enjoy using Top style anyways ahah.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    standard breaks my eyes so let me know when you guys can fix that

Back