• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Practically the same pokemon ._.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    As more generations of pokemon pop into being, we've seen more and more new designs that are similar to previous ones. Now we have several dinosaur pokemon, bear pokemon, fish, pig, monkey and a plethora of almost identical electric rodents.

Do you think it's a bad thing, and that they should try to make more unique designs today instead? Or is it okay and makes perfect sense to make, for example, a new bear pokemon with different typing?

The real world has, after all, not just one kind of dog, but hundreds :)

pkmin3033

This is precisely why it is perfectly acceptable - and even desirable - to have more than one kind of Pokemon based on a real-life animal, in my opinion. Nature favours certain designs in real life too - if it works for one Pokemon, why wouldn't it work for others?

There is plenty of room for variety even if the basic design is the same...I mean, look at all the flying-type Pokemon, and how varied in design they are. Most of them are still birds. I'm almost positive that there would be an outcry of terrifying proportions if there wasn't a birdlike Pokemon near the start of the inevitable seventh generation.

And ask yourself, in the wake of Gen VI: would you rather have fewer Pokemon, but with them all being new in design - even though Gen VI wasn't and followed a lot of the preconventions set down by past gens - or more Pokemon, but with a few that are variations on a theme? I know which I'd prefer to have, and I'm totally fine with more bears, birds, eldritch abominations, or whatever. Every generation has awkward or just plain badly designed Pokemon, and I perceive no overall lack in quality, so I would say the more Pokemon they give us, the better.

...that said, the fewer monkey Pokemon we see in the future, the better. I'm all for variations on a theme, but if we get anything like those Gen V elemental monkeys again...there is a variation on a theme, and then there is pure laziness, and those ugly, disgusting little mutants more than crossed that line.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    There would be an outcry if there were no more electric types with cheeks... or would they? I don't know.

It seems to be a tradition for the following

- Cheeked Electric types
    - Rodents
    - Birds
    - A load of annoying bug types that don't really do a lot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    adventure said:

Due to that reason, I feel many people take this to be perfectly okay, because, after all, Pokémon are based off animals, haha.

Personally, however, I believe it'd be better if they were able to limit themselves a little in this regard and try putting together more original designs whenever possible. This way, we likely wouldn't be growing tired of Pokémon with certain kind of body-structure after a while.

Years
  • I think all the various electric rodents bug me slightly, but that might just be because I'm not a big fan of them. Plus they're always pretty much the same, just...a bit different. I don't know how else to explain why it bugs me, although it's not even anything that bad.

Otherwise, I don't mind there being multiple types of each pokemon. Especially when it comes to the dinosaurs. ;D I don't mind if they don't do totally "unique" designs, although that might just be because by now unique might just end up to something totally outlandish that's not that appealing.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Having an electric rodent every generation is completely pointless, I must say that. Otherwise, I don't mind having several different kinds of the same animal, so long as they don't too many and they aren't all the same type and don't all look too similar.

Years
  • In Gen V I think there where to many clones of Gen I pokemon ie Roggenrola/Geodude lines and Timburr/Machop lines.

[FONT=&quot] Also it would be nice to see starters that weren't Fire/Grass/Water (Yes I know Yellow, Colosseum and XD but they are the exception). [/FONT]

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm always disappointed to see things like Roggenrola or Swoobat be revealed given that they're basically identical to Pokémon lines from previous games, but it's understandable from a concept point of view. It makes sense to have Pokémon of similar design in different regions as they would have evolved slightly differently to adapt to their unique surroundings and that can lead to some interesting changes, but I do find it a little lacking in creativity when the first routes of Unova feel like you're walking through a radiation-struck version of Kanto where everything's slightly mutated from what it should be.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I think it makes sense to make pokemon that are similar but have a different typing or even same types that are based off the same creature but have variety in their design (Growlith/Houndour lines for example). Like I would be totally chill with more bears. This is where things start to run into problems for me...

Both fire, both primates. A little too similar for me...

Legendary psychic pokemon with essentially the same body type. It's mew. They are all mew.

Last edited:

Zenas

King of the Distortion World
    Years
  • There shouldn't be a new generation or any new PKMN, why won't gamefreak/nintendo stick to what they have?

Years
  • As long as there aren't any future examples like what Nova pointed out, I've got no problem if we've got a number of different fish, bird, mouse, butterfly/moth Pokemon, etc., since the real world is abundant in them anyway.

There shouldn't be a new generation or any new PKMN, why won't gamefreak/nintendo stick to what they have?
    Meanwhile, at Pokemon headquarters...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    What about pokemon names like Bunnelby and Buneray? or Eelektrik and Electrike?

I'd like to know why Pokemon keeps using the same name over and over again for Pokemon in different generations. They change a couple letters and figure people will forget the previous one, or they forget the previous one I'm not sure.
    Zubat, Woobat, Swoobat, Snorlax, Snorunt, Seel, Spheal, Roggenrola, Alomomola, Bastiodon, Gastrodon, Tympole, Tynamo

I know there are different type of bears and different types of birds but Pokemon usually uses common words for their names such as Butterfree and Beautifly both coming from "butterfly", or Venomoth and Mothim both coming from "moth". To me making more then one of any animal usually means you'll have an awesome name, like Ursaring, then a terrible name like Beartic.

On top of that when are they going to run out of cat related words? Purrloin, Glameow, Delcatty, Skitty, Purugly(This is a Pokemon name?)...

Morning Sun Espeon

Time to shine ★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    I don't really like the Pika clones and the Cat pokemon...they're all mainly normal if I'm not mistaken. That's a bit a bummer

Years
  • I love finding out what the new early route bird/electric rodent/kitty cat/early route normal type/early route bug/Pseudo-Dragon/Dino pokemon will be. There is an expectation of similar pokemon treads just as much as the expectation of a grass/fire/water starter.

That said, sometimes there isn't enough innovation among a grouping. For instance, I love marrill, emolga and pachirisu, but dedenne doesn't feel distinct enough.

The early route bugs feel distinct enough yet in a similar class, same with the early route birds, rodents, kittens, among other groupings.

I love variations and similar treads among different pokedexes. Though, some variations are just not as interesting/distinct. The worst is luvdisc and alomamola...:/

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Some Pokemon looking similar to other Pokemon isn't entirely a bad thing. There are a very wide variety of birds, rodents, insects and other forms of life on Earth, and it's fitting there would be a similar range of variety in Pokemon. But some admittedly look too similar to others, and that makes no sense. Nova already pointed out Chimchar and Pansear, similar to the point of the latter looking like a cheap ripoff of the former, and Mew's similarity to the Emotion trio, which actually might be justified somewhat. These three were made shortly after time and space began, so they're essentially less developed versions of Mew, with even more vestigial features and having just barely enough of a body to exist.

Plusle and Minun have no excuse at all though. They are essentially red and blue Pichu with deformed ears, tails, and electrical pouches. That's literally all they are; the basic body shape and color are very similar to Pichu, and unlike Pichu they don't evolve at all. At least with Pichu it evolves into Pikachu, and with Pachirisu and Emolga they look different from Pikachu (one's a squirrel, and one's a flying squirrel.) Dedenne falls into this pit too, as it's just a fluffier Fairy-type Raichu. At least with the birds they each take after a different species so they all look different. The cat Pokemon don't share this problem either, as they all take after different breeds of cat.

Zenas

King of the Distortion World
    Years
  • As long as there aren't any future examples like what Nova pointed out, I've got no problem if we've got a number of different fish, bird, mouse, butterfly/moth Pokemon, etc., since the real world is abundant in them anyway.

Meanwhile, at Pokemon headquarters...

Shouldn't Giovanni be gettin' dem monies'?

Shadow Sneak Sableye

Bright Beauty ♥
    Years
  • I don't mind all the Pika clones, as I don't use them...It is a little tiring how they look similar, but people eat them up. Pikachu is the mascot, so you can't be all that surprised that a lot of pokemon take after his mold

NickyChuck

-Nicky Chuck
    Years
  • I get really tired of the electric rodents and I especially don't like the food related Pokemon, for example Slurpuff and Vanillite. I feel like they can do better, but you have to understand they have practically used up most of their ideas. I bet there are still animals tho they can use to create future Pokemon. The sky is the limit.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I get really tired of the electric rodents and I especially don't like the food related Pokemon, for example Slurpuff and Vanillite. I feel like they can do better, but you have to understand they have practically used up most of their ideas. I bet there are still animals tho they can use to create future Pokemon. The sky is the limit.
    Come to think of it there's no chicken Pokemon, or at least none that I know of. There's a cow Pokemon (Miltank), a bull Pokemon (Tauros), two sheep Pokemon (Mareep and Flaafy), four horse Pokemon (Ponyta, Rapidash, Blitzle and Zebstrika, though those two are more like zebras), even two goat Pokemon (Skiddo and Gogoat), but no chicken Pokemon to be found, which doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd figure after 6 generations we'd finally have a chicken equivalent. There's a similar lack of peacocks and dolphins... That's a bit off topic though.

Actually there's a bunch of frog Pokemon too. There's the Poliwhirl line, the Seismitoad line, the Greninja line, the Toxicroak line... you think that's enough frogs? The first two are pretty similar to each other too, barring Politoed. There's also a few kaiju Pokemon too like Aggron and Tyranitar and Groudon... which we honestly need more of. Kaiju are awesome, man.

Last edited:
    Back