• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Previous PotM Winner][August] Would You Date a Trans Person?

Would You Date a Trans Person?

• Yep!

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 17 15.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • HECK NO I'm 100% strait i feel if you want to do that do that ok just not with me if i found out a person i was dating was a transsexual and did not tell me well i'm not a violent man but i would beat him/her like a man

That's...quite frightening. You do realize that's a scary thing to say, right? Not to mention horribly transphobic. Violence against transgender people is a real thing. Specifically violence from a significant other. Also, I'm sensing a bit of devaluing of the humanity of trans people in your post, mostly against trans women. They are women, after all. Let me repeat that, since you don't seem to understand: they are women.

Here's something you probably didn't know: 44% of the hate murders reported in 2010 were against transgender women. This isn't a funny thing to joke about.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • This is an extremely too common argument used against trans people. In the case of a trans woman: "They're not really a woman, just a really feminine man." Sometimes they add in "gay" for good measure. As if gender identity and sexual orientation are the same thing. The opposite for trans men. While I am feminine, I'm not hyperfeminine by any means. I don't wear makeup or skirts. I only rarely feel in the right mood for a dress. I like pants and shorts, although my tops usually have a wide range from feminine to masculine. I'm okay with both. But what does that have to do with gender identity? Nothing, actually. It's called gender expression and it also isn't linked to gender identity or sexual orientation. Neither are gender roles.

I don't feel a need to go over the top with my gender expression because I know what I am. I don't have to prove it to anyone. Despite my slightly masculine dress, people never refer to me with male pronouns. I have the voice and attitude down pretty pat. How? By allowing myself to be who I really am. After overcoming confidence issues, it was pretty easy from there. It was all already inside of me. Not every trans woman is so lucky, though. Point is that I'm trans because I'm a woman, but my body was born male. It sucks, but it honestly isn't that big of a hindrance in my life. Most people judge trans people harshly until they meet someone who is trans. Experience is the best teacher.
    Dude, what the hell. I have nothing against trans people. I was just thinking that some people who consider themselves trans may have felt forced into that because of societal pressures. If anything it's kind of a sad thing than something to hate them for. There's no reason why girls have to wear dresses or guys have to do this or that. None. And identifying yourself with a "social gender" is nothing wrong.

This is an example of someone who hates trans people:
    HECK NO I'm 100% strait i feel if you want to do that do that ok just not with me if i found out a person i was dating was a transsexual and did not tell me well i'm not a violent man but i would beat him/her like a man

Not the stuff I wrote. I have nothing against someone who identifies themselves with a different gender than their biological gender, but it's not exactly me saying that I hate trans people because I feel that the pressure is mainly societal.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Dude, what the ****. I have nothing against trans people. I was just thinking that some people who consider themselves trans may have felt forced into that because of societal pressures. If anything it's kind of a sad thing than something to hate them for. There's no ****ing reason why girls have to wear dresses

This is an example of someone who hates trans people:

Not the **** I wrote. I get it, you're trans, anyone who says anything about trans people automatically gets you defensive, but seriously, I have nothing against someone who identifies themselves with a different gender than their biological gender, but it's not exactly me saying that I hate trans people because I feel that the pressure is mainly societal.

Calmly explaining my feelings from your post is defensive? No, but thanks for illustrating what being defensive actually looks like.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    oh lord arguments

I personally would have no problem dating a mtf. They're a woman now; who cares what they were? It's their choice, and the last thing I'd want to do is make someone feel bad about such an incredibly life changing decision. If there's physical and mental attraction, then why does it matter that they were a guy at one point?

I think the only exception I would make to that is if they changed specifically for the reason that they were a guy who wanted to date/do sexual things with other guys. I would be kind of uncomfortable with that. Not being homophobic, but if that's your whole reasoning behind changing your gender, I wouldn't consider dating you. It just makes me feel weird, and I wouldn't be eager to do anything with you if that was your entire mentality.

HECK NO I'm 100% strait i feel if you want to do that do that ok just not with me if i found out a person i was dating was a transsexual and did not tell me well i'm not a violent man but i would beat him/her like a man

Whoa+just+take+it+easy+man+_e5deda70bd2d9fce029281f6819c9e8c.jpg

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    ^ Drake Bell. Ftw.

As for me, I'll have to just say quasi-ditto to what Kura said, in that I agree/think the same way, but am a heterosexual male.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Guys, just going to butt in. Keep this in mind, while you post, please, please, please think about what you write before you press post. Saying how you feel is one thing. Being an outright dick about it is another. And also, report posts that are rude, they shouldn't be allowed to stay around.

Thank you.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I wouldn't. Let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I would date a male to female, but I'm not sure if I would have sex with one.

Years
  • oh lord arguments

I personally would have no problem dating a mtf. They're a woman now; who cares what they were? It's their choice, and the last thing I'd want to do is make someone feel bad about such an incredibly life changing decision. If there's physical and mental attraction, then why does it matter that they were a guy at one point?

I think the only exception I would make to that is if they changed specifically for the reason that they were a guy who wanted to date/do sexual things with other guys. I would be kind of uncomfortable with that. Not being homophobic, but if that's your whole reasoning behind changing your gender, I wouldn't consider dating you. It just makes me feel weird, and I wouldn't be eager to do anything with you if that was your entire mentality.

Whoa+just+take+it+easy+man+_e5deda70bd2d9fce029281f6819c9e8c.jpg

The system is set up to keep out people like that. Honestly, what gay guys do you know that would be willing to get a vagina just to have sex with guys?

Probably...

Let me take a look at some statistics...

Hmmm...

Yep. None.

Gay guys are guys too, after all, and guys love their dicks.

Years
  • Well to be fair, some gay men would love to be straight.

Thus, the only way for a gay man to become "pseudo" straight, might be to transform their body into a woman's, thus being able to date men and have 'normal' heterosexual lives. I don't think this is often the case, but there may exist some cases. Again, this is not that common. The issue with this is, a transformation isn't done overnight or after one operation. I don't see many gay men who identify as male going through such an extensive process, for a mere chance at becoming a passable woman. Additionally, this may be a reason why some transgender people identify as gay. The surgeries and therapies in order to transform into the other gender might be too costly, thus, the individuals might go for the next best option, to live their lives as a gay male. If these surgeries and therapies were always successful at very affordable prices, we may find that many more people would identify as transgender for either reason listed above.

I feel like I have gone WAY off topic. But, their is much more complexities to these issues than one might think. There are limited choices available as well as lifestyle or occupational motivations of gay men that identify as gay men and dress in drag. Often transvestite and transgender are treated interchangeably. Further some gay men are feminine, some masculine, and many gradients in-between. A person's reasoning to transform might not be so clear-cut depending on where a person falls on the gradation of male and female. One person who transforms might feel like they are completely one gender, while the other may feel like they fall in-between somewhere, but closer to the opposite sex. In these cases, one might speculate that a person is choosing to be transgender. Some of us are not lucky enough to have distinct gender identification. I am glad that I do, but I am not going to assume other people must also have a definitive gender identification.

Though, yes, there exists that typical example of girl-on-girl college experimentation or gay men that falsely identify as bisexual in order to feel more masculine and less ashamed of their sexuality. We should always give those with gender and sexual identity different from ours a benefit of a doubt. In that, they are not acting out or choosing a divergent identity on a whim. There are many different sexualities and gender identifications from our own. Though, it may seem impossible that anyone could ever have a genetic disposition different from ours among those born into the same physical sex, it may not be true that each person will share those innate qualities.

So sorry for being off topic, I just wanted to get the point across to anyone whom assumes that most or any people with deviating sexualities or gender identities from the norm are choosing to do so or socialized behavior in some way when the american psychological association and other reputable health organizations have concurred that these qualities are either genetic, occur during the fetal development, and/or a culmination of both. Either way, an innate quality. Now, with those qualities there is room for choice, but these are choices that are simply reflecting their innate affinity. For instance, heterosexual men choose to date women. There is choice involved with all humans sexual behavior, but it is simply a manifestation of their innate sexual preferences. For some the choices seem more clear and especially those that align with widespread social customs. For those with more complex innate preferences, it is more difficult to make choices that align with those preferences, so we shouldn't assume since more contemplation is required that somehow the decisions are an act or against one's innate qualities.

Lastly, there are MANY valid reasons to date or not date a transgender person. Factoring in the person's choosing to change gender is not a valid one and doesn't have a place in this discussion.

Last edited:

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    The system is set up to keep out people like that. Honestly, what gay guys do you know that would be willing to get a vagina just to have sex with guys?

Frankly, none, because I don't know any transgender people in my life, and that's a weird thing to ask someone. However, you can't claim that no one would have that mentality because I can guarantee you that there is someone on this Earth who does. There could easily be guys and girls scattered across the globe who want to do that. It depends on their life situations and what they're going through, and how they imagine what those will be like after changing their gender. Everyone has a disputable reason for doing something, and if the obscure reason regarding to why someone would become an man or a woman for that specific purpose, it would still be a reason and it would still be a possibility that the very same reason would affect others and how they think. So, yes, there probably are gay guys who would be willing to get a vagina just to have sex with guys. And there are probably gay girls who would be willing to get a penis just to have sex with girls. Because they have a reason as to why they're doing that, and they think it's right, so it's what they would do. Is it right? I don't know. Is it wrong? I don't know. All I know is, I stated that I wouldn't experience anything sexual with a mtf who had that mentality because it made me uncomfortable. So you have no base grounds to claim that no one who would be considering a gender change would be considering it for that reason, because let's face it, there's always one person in the group.

Years
  • This conversation actually reminds me of when I came out to one of my friends. He was okay with me being transgender, but not a lesbian. He didn't understand that if I liked women, why I should transition to become one. Later he told me, just before he cut me out of his life, that I was only transitioning to have an excuse to have sex with lesbians--as if that's all the justification I needed to make a life-changing decision to transition to opposite sex. I found this scenario humorous, to say the least, because I couldn't imagine anyone doing something so silly to have a chance--I stress chance--at getting a lesbian in bed. Your scenario is the exact same but the opposite, so I can't help but not take it that seriously.

Are there people that are deranged enough to go through what I have just to get guys? Not saying there aren't. I'm just pointing out that most of them shouldn't get through qualifying for transition. Let me make this clear: you can't just walk into a psychologist and tell them you want to be the opposite sex and just get some hormones right there. No, you need to go through rigorous therapy, sometimes many group therapy sessions on top of individual for three months. Every therapist qualified for treating transgender patients will have certain criteria that every patient has to meet before they'll get a referral letter for a doctor. Some may be able to trick their therapist and doctor--I don't doubt it, but transition isn't for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Guys, please stop arguing. This is why we can't have nice things.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see page 3 lol

To answer the question, why not. I don't care how someone is born, just what they are now.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I wouldn't be able to. The fact that this person was initially a woman now man would bear too heavily on my conscience. It might seem shallow, but transitioning into another gender is a big thing for everyone involved. It'd just be too much to cooperate with on an emotional and psychological level.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    This conversation actually reminds me of when I came out to one of my friends. He was okay with me being transgender, but not a lesbian. He didn't understand that if I liked women, why I should transition to become one. Later he told me, just before he cut me out of his life, that I was only transitioning to have an excuse to have sex with lesbians--as if that's all the justification I needed to make a life-changing decision to transition to opposite sex. I found this scenario humorous, to say the least, because I couldn't imagine anyone doing something so silly to have a chance--I stress chance--at getting a lesbian in bed. Your scenario is the exact same but the opposite, so I can't help but not take it that seriously.

Well, for one, your ex-friend is an *******. However, although the situations are the same, you completely misunderstood what I said. I never said that the basis for every gender change is that they want to have sex with people of the same gender - I only said I wouldn't date/do sexual things with etc. with someone who had that mentality, because it made me uncomfortable.

Psycho Yuffie; said:
    Are there people that are deranged enough to go through what I have just to get guys? Not saying there aren't. I'm just pointing out that most of them shouldn't get through qualifying for transition. Let me make this clear: you can't just walk into a psychologist and tell them you want to be the opposite sex and just get some hormones right there. No, you need to go through rigorous therapy, sometimes many group therapy sessions on top of individual for three months. Every therapist qualified for treating transgender patients will have certain criteria that every patient has to meet before they'll get a referral letter for a doctor. Some may be able to trick their therapist and doctor--I don't doubt it, but transition isn't for the faint of heart.

This, I can agree with. I'm well aware of that process and if they can't pass it for legitimate reasons then they don't deserve it.

Years
  • If everything else about the person was good, if we had chemistry, then, yeah, I'm pretty sure I would. I don't really like to divorce qualities about a person from the whole person though, so if you asked me "Would you date a person who is _______?" I'd probably say yes whatever it is if I had some kind of connection with them.

People can date or not date whoever they want for whatever reasons they want. But if someone just flat out hates trans people, even outside of the discussion of dating, they can keep that to themselves and not date trans people.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Here's something you probably didn't know: 44% of the hate murders reported in 2010 were against transgender women. This isn't a funny thing to joke about.

I agree he shouldn't have said that but, I looked it up on the FBI website and I may have made some mistakes so if I did don't go and start hating on me... just pointing some things out :3

Of the 6,624 single bias incidents, 47.3 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 20.0 percent were motivated by a religious bias, 19.3 percent were motivated by a sexual orientation bias, and 12.8 percent were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. Bias against a disability accounted for 0.6 percent of single-bias incidents.

Anywaays to my opinion on this... This is looking like a D&D Thread... And I hate that place...

Well... I'm pretty young but, right now my mind set is an absolute no... Not trying to sound shallow or a jerk or anything but, just no. It might be my religion... It might be my opinion on some trans people but, my opinion at least for my ignorant young self is that.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I agree he shouldn't have said that but, I looked it up on the FBI website and I may have made some mistakes so if I did don't go and start hating on me... just pointing some things out :3

-other quote here since quotes don't stack-
    I just checked the source, and it seems that the data you found are of hate crimes. These also include offences like assault/battery, and not exclusively murder. It could well be that the statistics of hate murders are entirely different from those that include all hate offences.

Back