• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSP vs DS no flames

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    To Nick: that's my point .They've had no competition because they've destroyed it before it could even get moving. Since it's creation, 12 systems have competed with GB and failed. And don't ask me to provide where I heard that cause I don't remember other than it's a creditable source. (GI, I believe it was. If I find it I'll post it.) Few people want to break off of something running where what they ahd before will still work to use something Brand spanking new that they have nothing for. the DS will have past games and additions that it can make use of. While right now, all the PSP has is itself. Nintendo is indeed the king of handhelds, and there is no denying it.

And actually, I ahven't been sarcastic. The only instance of me being truly sarcastic was wehn I apologized about clashing opinions. Every other time I've been very serious about the whole thing. But I'll try to calm it down some. i'll try.

Did those systems actually compete with the GB? Nintendo has some serious competition this time.

Uhh do you know what exotic matter is? I won't even start...

Like I said, Nintendo was the king of handhelds, when it had no real competiton. PSP holds serious competition for DS.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    But like I said, most people won't break off of a successful chain to try something that new. Sony is going to have to really convince people its the better system to sell more than DS. Although I msut admit, Sony's marketing skill are quite good, and Nintendo doesn't market that often, but sometimes word of mouth is all the marketing a system needs. (that's how PS2 got popular after all.):\

Exotic matter implies things like biological wastes and/or dangerous chemicals. The hasmat team uses that term all the time. if you were referring to literally exotic material, like a plant from south america or something, then you have to excuse my misunderstanding.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    But like I said, most people won't break off of a successful chain to try something that new. Sony is going to have to really convince people its the better system to sell more than DS. Although I msut admit, Sony's marketing skill are quite good, and Nintendo doesn't market that often, but sometimes word of mouth is all the marketing a system needs. (that's how PS2 got popular after all.):\

Exotic matter implies things like biological wastes and/or dangerous chemicals. The hasmat team uses that term all the time. if you were referring to literally exotic material, like a plant from south america or something, then you have to excuse my misunderstanding.
    People don't want to break of a good thing? They do for something better. Like how PS2 outsold GCN maybe?...

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    in terms of gameplay neither system is better than the other. They jsut don't want to ahve to basically "start over" so to speak with their game libraary when ever they got a new system. PS2 promised reverse capabiltiy, making it a chain, while each Nintendo system used a new medium, forcing you to buy new games for each system. That is why Playstation got the jump on Nintendo. I had said that before.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Are you sure about that? Most PS2 fans already had a PS1 to use, so what good is backwards compatibility. Also, it wasn't just the console that outsold GCN. It's games outsold GCN's also.

Truthfully, I think one of the biggest reasons that PS2 outsold GCN was because of the DVD playback. Many people didn't have a DVD player when PS2 was released, and it was an obvious choice, because they could get a next-gen system And a DVD player.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Teh good thing about revers compatability was that they could play both there PS1 games and their PS2 games all on one system. Peaople are lazy, they don't want to ahve to switch up systems to play a different game. And the fact athat teh controller was the same helped with the revers compatability. Teh biggest things taht sold PS2 was teh abiltiy to play Dvds and teh reverse compatability. Nintendo wanted to stay nothing but games and tried not changing, but it seems they may have to. It's only rumors right now, but I hear that the Revolution ,that they're calling their next system, will not only play games but do all kinds of things as well. Don't know what though, becasue they wouldn't release any specifics.

Teh PS2 appeals more specifically to a teen to young adult audience with the gorey and gratuitous games they've produced. I think Nintendo understands now that that age group offers the most money now, as they are now making games like Resident Evil and things like that. Plus they're changing all time favorites like Zelda to match this money making idea, which is why the next Zelda is going to be so violent and bloody. (And why my mom won't let me buy it! :()

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Marco, please back up your statements and put some though into them. We?re discussing the upsides and downsides of both consoles.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    LittleFascistPanties16 said:
    Like I said, Nintendo was the king of handhelds, when it had no real competiton. PSP holds serious competition for DS.

You can't say that until they start selling the consoles. It's the proof of the pudding whether a hand-held is going to be competition or not.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Toothache said:
    You can't say that until they start selling the consoles. It's the proof of the pudding whether a hand-held is going to be competition or not.
    Sure I can say that! In fact its the other way around...
    DS is gonna have to pump up to make some competition for PSP. ^_^

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    I think he had it right. TEH reverse capability of the DS is going to be hard to beat with teh PSP just starting out. We've already determined that Reverse Capatability can make or break a system. And the DS still promises more gaming capabilities than PSP does.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Touch screen, Dual screen, microphone, Internet, Wireless, Interconnectivity, reverse Compatability, among other things I probably forgot to mention.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Okay. I have to say that the PS2 still came out a full year before the GCN up here. It's obvious that the PS2 a year before GCN was competing against N64 for console sales (for that short period of time). It's obvious that they would be buying the PS2. By the time GCN came out, ppl already have a next-gen system and therefore did not buy another one (this was the reason against the Xbox sales also).

Right now assuming the PSP and the DS are have at most a 50 dollar difference in pricing, I'd have to say the PSP will outsell the DS. First of all, yes the most of the women do prefer the DS (it's just an accepted thing at our place that female gamers happen to love games like Animal Crossing), but the market right now are male teenagers. Male teenagers want the gore, blood, and violence (thus prefer the Xbox and PS2 over the GCN). Really just this name given to the playstation franchise is enough to have the highest spending video game market to flock to it. It's just accepted at least up here that the PSP will beat the DS in terms of sales for sure.

As for the games, Metroid really did open my eyes (crap that's pushing the system right there).

And for the last time I'm neutral.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    This topic was called PSP vs DS no flames! This is getting to be a problem. These topics can really only be opinion you can't proove one handheld is better than the other. Its based on what you think. Like I think the DS will do better thats just me, you guys can think whatever you want. Everyone try and tone it down a little.

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
    Years
    This topic is kinda silly. We're in a pokemon forum and pokemon games are only available on nintendo products.

Also I read some news that nintendo have no intention of competing the DS against the PSP.

Well if you ask me I say DS. I mean come on... nintendo own the handheld gaming market and besides... they've got the GBA2 to back it up!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    Well, before this topic gets closed, I would like to get in the conversation..

Every single one of my friends has a love for Nintendo, Gameboy or normal console, and most of them like Playstation 2, but considering that most of them aren't really rich, and I'm betting that the PSP will be as expensive as it can be, DS will probably be the most popluar. (at least I hope..:() I will certanly get the DS, on acount i almost despise Sony. I play my GBA all the time, and my old games on it. I would get DS almost just for that! And also, I saw a sonic demo for the DS, and the Graphics were about as good as Dreamcast, so i'm not complaining.. DS Will Rule All!!!!

Pogiforce-14 said:
    I think Nintendo understands now that that age group offers the most money now, as they are now making games like Resident Evil and things like that. Plus they're changing all time favorites like Zelda to match this money making idea, which is why the next Zelda is going to be so violent and bloody. (And why my mom won't let me buy it! :()

Oh Pogiforce, The next Zelda wont be all gorey and full of violence, Miyamoto doesn't like that kind of stuff in video games as I know of..

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    Well I'm not going to argue but I'm getting the Nintendo DS out of the two. Sony will rarely make a product that when dropped will not in some way break and making a small system would be even more unlikely for it to be stable.

In other words, one trip or drop of the PSP and it's gone.

In my oppinion, get the DS.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    SonicUmbreon said:
    Oh Pogiforce, The next Zelda wont be all gorey and full of violence, Miyamoto doesn't like that kind of stuff in video games as I know of..

Believe it or not, th next zelda game is going to be violent and gorey. According to GI, it has an atmosphere completely different from any other Zelda game thus far, and it promises to be the most violent game on that system yet. I've seen screen shots, and it had a dark, midevil feel to it unlike the other games. Zelda is truly becoming a darker series like it was originally meant to be.

Back