• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
    IV Training

Thanks for that post DeathofBlades. I think I understand the concept of EV's now- it's the IV's that are still a little confusing. So the the IVs are determined from your initial encounter with the pokemon right?, and cannot be changed? Would you just have to randomly encounter a pokemon with good IV's then? It sounds like searching for a needle in a haystack...:C

And how do you go about getting the nature you want? Do you just have to breed? It seems kinda daunting to get the nature, and IV spread that you want.

I stopped at gen 2, so im doing some 'cathcing up' if you will:D

Alright. You want to know about IVs and Natures. Well techinically you can catch a bunch of the pokemon you want and see if it has a good nature. BUT the easiest process would be Breeding. And yes IVs cannot be changed. That is how you get your EV natures. (Just a notice this IV post might be bigger than my previous EV post) Now just for starters but if you really want to learn about IVs you have to pay attention to every single word you are reading here and NO skipping sections just because you think you are cool because I tried that and I learned nothing about IV training

NOW IV training. Believe me it took two weeks for me to understand it. IVs pretty much what I would call EVs sister or brother or whatever you want to call it or I like it is IV's Luigi while EV is Mario, You get the picture. Again IVs lets you have control of your dominant stat you want, like EVs let you have control of your stat completely. Okay so IV's. Hoho I'm sooo cool I know how to EV train wait huh wtf is IVs?? Okay IV stands for Individual Value. This means EV training helps you control your stats but IV helps you get your dominant stat or which stat you need for this build. The max IVs you can have is 31 and no higher. Now I do not know but I don't think it is a plus 31 boost in a stat. Now how do I find out if my pokemon has perfect IVs for the stat I want it to have??

How do you find out if my pokemon has perfect IVs?? Well use an IV Calculator!!

How do I use one and which one is the best one??? Okay IV Calculator is simple to use, although I had some trouble understanding it. You hatched your Bulbasaur for instance. You want to check its IVs and find out what its dominant IV is (This is an example of how to use the calculator not how to find the IV you want) So you use the IV calculator. I prefer Veekuns calculator because it has a meter. So first you get your bulbasaur and it is lvl. 1. You need to lvl it up to 50 or 100. Now hmmm should I do 50 or 100? I recommend 100 because it shows you its Precise IVs. 50 shows you like a scale 26-27 IVs etc.

Wow! lvl.100 sounds like hella of a lvl! That will take too much time what do I do? Well actually it is easier than it sounds just hack rare candies since you will need them for EV training (BTW I forgot to mention this in my EV training post, when you finish EV training and your pokemon is at lvl. 30 when it finished from lvl.1 then you rape it with rare candies to lvl. 100 and also it is best to have a pokemon Untouched so you will have control of your EVs and much more precise ones.) Wow sure I have rare candies, no problem! Uh you sure? Have fun with spamfest. Because techinically you'll be hurting your thumb or your toe or whatever you use to push the buttons for pokemon. It is time consuming. So here is the quickest and easiest (If you have Wi-fi and a friend on this Forum! Or any generous people :)) Ask someone and PM them hey can I do a single battle on Wi-fi lvl. 100s so I can check my pokemon's IV and PLEASE tell them that you are finding the IV stat or they are going to be mean to you and flame you. That person might say sure! Or say get lost or I have to go to bed, but 99.9 percent of the time it is yes. So wtf lvl. 100 boost from a UT lv.1 hatched Bulbasaur just because of a Wi-Fi battle?? (UT stands for Untouched.) Well yes! That is the techinique just made your life even easier, it literally cut the time of spamming the A button for rare candies. So battle him with lvl. 100 and you throw your bulbasaur out and he throws his pokemon out. You go check your pokemon party and check your bulbasaur's stats. Get a piece of paper and a writing utencil (Which I highly doubt you can memorize it) or type it down on microsoft word. Get that and put it in the IV calculator.

Now you are probably like wtf this rip off artist DeathOfBlades didn't even give us the link to his "Recommended" IV Calculator. Oh my bad here is the link: https://veekun.com/dex/calculators/iv Now you are probably like hmm I think I know how to use it. And maybe you do but just in case let me show you a tutorial. For Example: Here is the stats of my Dragon Dance totodile which I spent weeks on finding its perfect IVs and egg move. First save before you want to find out its IVs or else you might screw up somehow or be that newb that uses the time consuming rare candies. I happened to be at Warner Springs during my vacation time so I just used rare candies like a newb and it is now a feraligatr. Its nature is Adamant. Now here is it's current stats. HP: 301, Attack: 270, Defence: 223, Special Attack: 172, Special Defence: 181, Speed: 185. Now put that in the Stat section of the IV calculator. Next to the stat section it says EVs, put 0 in all the EV section because I did not EV train the feraligatr. So here is a recap on the steps. First put in Feraligatr in the name area. Put Nature as Adamant. Then put in the stats I gave you from my Feraligatr or to lazy to scroll up? Here ya go again: HP: 301, Attack: 270, Defence: 223, Special Attack: 172, Special Defence: 181, Speed: 185. Okay stat section done put 0 in the EV section for all of HP, Attack, Defence, Special Attack, etc because again I did not EV train it. Now done! As simple as that. Click calculate IVs. Now to the right you will the IV bar meter which shows the IVs of my feraligatr. As you will notice it has a perfect 31 IVs for attack which is good or part of my build! That is how you use the IV calculator.

Now! Here is the real fun. This is the section where you learn how to IV train/breed mainly. First you need the pokemon you want that you are going to breed to get it's perfect IV child and you are going to use that one and EV train it to a perfectionist pokemon, EV and IVed pokemon = Deadly. So again back with Bulbasaur example. Say like you want perfect IVs for attack. What are the requirements? Well you get a bulbasaur female and a male bulbasaur or get a ditto. If you have a female bulbasaur with the nature you want or in this example that nature would be Adamant and a ditto then give the female bulbasaur the magical item. (Magical item is mentioned in my 8th paragraph including the sentence title as a paragraph or the paragraph below this one or whatever you want to call it.) If you have a male bulbasaur and a ditto but the ditto has the nature you want or in this example Adamant then give ditto the magical item. If you have a female bulbasaur and a male bulbasaur even better and again if the female has the nature you want then give it the magical item. Do this process for other IV Training/breedings you want such as you want a snorlax with perfect IV HP then you do the same breeding like the bulbasaur one A.K.A. ditto or male snorlax and Magical item etc. Say like you want perfect IVs in its Attack (You really do not to give it perfect IVs for attack it is just an example). No problem just keep breeding till you get lucky and eventually it poofs out. Now you are probably asking do I have to single battle lvl. 100 with all the bulbasaurs I hatch??? Well absolutely.... NOT! Okay these are the symbols you need to know that gets you perfect IVs for that bulbasaurs attack. First things first its Nature. Which will be Adamant. And it's characteristic. Now wtf is characteristic? Well you should know it is right below your pokemons nature. Like often you should see "Mischevious", "Often Dozes Off", "Likes to fight". Well the perfect characteristic for Attack is "Likes to Thrash About". So Adamant nature and the "Likes to Thrash about" Increases the IVs for attack which makes you have a better chance of getting perfect 31 IVs for attack. So if you keep breeding you finally find one exactly like the Adamant, "Likes to thrash about" then check its IV. Again lvl. 100 battle with your friend and write it down then check on the "Recommended" IV calculator. If it comes out to be perfect then keep it you got perfect IVs. Now do your dance. Now for you studs that didn't get perfect IVs but got almost perfect don't be all down cause now it becomes the new father! Now you use the father to pass on his IVs which will increase the chance of getting another one Adamant natured, "Likes to Thrash About" and having a perfect IV! There ya go! That is mainly all you need to know about IV breeding.

But that process seems extremely long?!?! Well no if you use this certain magical item and this certain magical pokemon. What is this Magical item you speak of? Well it is a plain ol' Everstone! You can find a bunch commonly underground. Now wtf does it do? Well you let the female bulbasaur hold it then it gives you a 50 percent chance boost in the child having its mom's nature. The everstone techinique does not work on the male, ONLY the Female. So your Female bulbasaur needs to have the Adamant nature since you are going for its attack. Now having the father/Male Bulbasaur with the perfect nature and characteristic or in this example it would be Adamant nature and the "Likes to Thrash About" will make the process even faster and the luck of getting the perfect one better. But also having the mother/Female Bulbasaur with the perfect nature or characteristic or in this example it would be Adamant nature and "Likes To Thrash About" and the everstone would equal to the 100 percent perfect IV breeders for your Attack IV Bulbasaur. Okay that is all you need to know about IVs! Wait huh, hatching the eggs seem too long?? Oh yes I forgot to mention about the Magical Pokemon. Well it is a Slugma or a Magmar or a Margocargo! Huh?? Wtf do I do with them?? Well you see pokemon have that ability thing for example: My Heracross has the ability "Guts" which increases its attack by 50 percent. You should know what the ability is or Salamence another example has the intimidate ability or Weavile has the exerting pressure ability you find the ability in the pokemons stat section. Okay Slugma, Magmar and Margocargo have the flame body ability or magma armor ability will Half the Egg step time. Wait but their ability burns the foe with contact.Well in kindergarten my teacher brought chicken eggs so we can hatch em. She had something called an incubator which had the perfect warmth temperature. This made them hatch faster and much more efficiently. So samething for Pokemon eggs. They hatch faster in warmth. Think I'm joking ask everyone around here or go to other sites. No matter what they will say that ability does to things but mainly they love its halfing the egg step power. So get one they are very common!

NOW here is a link that will help you throughout your whole entire life. Use the nature link I posted in my EV training post and use this one for your IV training: https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/9voltdude/characteristics.jpg Well what is it? Well it is the characteristic chart dumby. It has all the characteristics on there. It should show the sections for HP, Attack, Defence etc. Well I'm a newb and I doesn't show which one shows the perfect IV. Well look on the last section horizontally and you should see the number 31 which means that characteristic gives the perfect IV. So look it is "Likes To Thrash About" like I told you and it says 31 IVs!! Now again if you get Adamant Nature and "Likes To Thrash About" that does not always mean you have the perfect attack. The Nature and Characteristic only means you have a better chance of getting perfect attack IVs or if you're lucky and the IV calculator tells you 31 then you do the corny Ludicolos pineapple dance and scream with joy. Also use this link to help you more on breeding/hatching and feel free to use it for searching for TM numbers and how to do Egg Moves: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding Now that was a lot, like I said it is longer than my EV training post. Anymore questions? Feel free to ask! That is all I know about IVs and think that it is about everything you need to know about IVs. Have fun! (Back in the day IV training was done by an oldman in the battle frontier.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2009
    Save problem pl

Can some1 tell me why I can't save in Platinum?:/
    When I want to save is the save done in 0,00001 sec and when I want to play Pl again I have to start over again, HELP PLZ.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Can some1 tell me why I can't save in Platinum?:/
    When I want to save is the save done in 0,00001 sec and when I want to play Pl again I have to start over again, HELP PLZ.

Take that game back is probably the best thing.
    Refund and just buy another one.

Years
    I don't know if it's ok to ask about AR things, so sorry if it isn't. But one of my pokemon on pearl has pokerus (naturally, I haven't used an AR yet) and I really want to use this pokemon in Battle Revolution but it comes up as a bad egg thanks to the pokerus, is there a code that I can use to get rid of pokerus so I can use this pokemon?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I don't know if it's ok to ask about AR things, so sorry if it isn't. But one of my pokemon on pearl has pokerus (naturally, I haven't used an AR yet) and I really want to use this pokemon in Battle Revolution but it comes up as a bad egg thanks to the pokerus, is there a code that I can use to get rid of pokerus so I can use this pokemon?
    Pokerus should not prevent a pokemon from appearing on PBR. Check its EVs; if they are over the 510 limit, it will be banned. I don't believe there is a code like that, but if you keep it in your party for a couple days, Pokerus wears off.

Years
    Pokerus should not prevent a pokemon from appearing on PBR. Check its EVs; if they are over the 510 limit, it will be banned. I don't believe there is a code like that, but if you keep it in your party for a couple days, Pokerus wears off.

It's EV's aren't over 510. It just says it's a bad egg. I've tried to recopy it and it still says it's a bad egg. This sucks.

toyaki

the lengendary swordman
    Years
    well im going to buy my platinium and i wanted to know if the pokerus thing works on it.
    because i got some pokemon that got it on pearl and diamond

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Wow thanks Blades. I think I fully understand the concept now. It seems really simple now that it's been explained like that... Just time consuming!

I have another basic question. What's the best way to deal with a pokemon that has substitute and a status inducing move? Like the infamous Breloom with spore and substitute? Would a pokemon with rest and sleep talk be the most useful?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Wow thanks Blades. I think I fully understand the concept now. It seems really simple now that it's been explained like that... Just time consuming!

I have another basic question. What's the best way to deal with a pokemon that has substitute and a status inducing move? Like the infamous Breloom with spore and substitute? Would a pokemon with rest and sleep talk be the most useful?

No one else really uses that combination except Breloom.

• Sleep Talk -- although unreliable, it allows you to fight back. You'll probably lose to Breloom this way, though.
    • Insomnia / Vital Spirit (i.e. Hypno, Banette, Vigoroth) -- They can't fall asleep. Hypno can beat Breloom with Psychic too. Vigoroth can use Aerial Ace.
    • Whirlwind / Phazing -- Although you aren't getting any Whirlwinds in if they use Spore, Phazing is the best way to get rid of Substitute. You could use it with Sleep Talk (but that is completely unheard of).
    • Sleep-Absorber (with Sleep Clause on) -- With sleep clause, only one Pokemon per side can be asleep at a time. Make one fall asleep, switch out and attack.
    • Outspeed it -- A quick Aerial Ace will shut down Breloom before it can act.

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
    No one else really uses that combination except Breloom.

• Sleep Talk -- although unreliable, it allows you to fight back. You'll probably lose to Breloom this way, though.
    • Insomnia / Vital Spirit (i.e. Hypno, Banette, Vigoroth) -- They can't fall asleep. Hypno can beat Breloom with Psychic too. Vigoroth can use Aerial Ace.
    • Whirlwind / Phazing -- Although you aren't getting any Whirlwinds in if they use Spore, Phazing is the best way to get rid of Substitute. You could use it with Sleep Talk (but that is completely unheard of).
    • Sleep-Absorber (with Sleep Clause on) -- With sleep clause, only one Pokemon per side can be asleep at a time. Make one fall asleep, switch out and attack.
    • Outspeed it -- A quick Aerial Ace will shut down Breloom before it can act.

Pretty much yeah. Gymnotide's post is correct. I'd recommend a pokemon with a lot of speed. Maybe a ninjask with speed boost and let it do swords dance then switch out with baton pass and use something super effective aginst breloom. You will have the speed boost your Ninjask got and it's sword dance boosts so it will literally outspeed and KO the breloom. You should normally be asking how to counter the Ninjask party.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Pretty much yeah. Gymnotide's post is correct. I'd recommend a pokemon with a lot of speed. Maybe a ninjask with speed boost and let it do swords dance then switch out with baton pass and use something super effective aginst breloom. You will have the speed boost your Ninjask got and it's sword dance boosts so it will literally outspeed and KO the breloom. You should normally be asking how to counter the Ninjask party.

Breloom is very Baton Pass-proof. The only way Ninjask is going to beat Breloom is if it uses Aerial Ace or Substitute on the first turn. Sub will break to Rock Slide, probably, and no Breloom would stay in on something faster with Flying-type moves anyway. If you stay in to Swords Dance, chances are you will get a face full of Spore anyway and you can't BP while asleep.

Spore / Leech Seed variants are very tough, since Brelly restores 25% + 10-15% of its health every turn while under permanent Substitute.

Years
    Uh...can someone tell me where the Move Deleter is in Platinum(if there is one)? I have to teach a Pokemon Rock Smash and I don't want to have to deposit a Pokemon just to get another one to learn it >>

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
    Breloom is very Baton Pass-proof. The only way Ninjask is going to beat Breloom is if it uses Aerial Ace or Substitute on the first turn. Sub will break to Rock Slide, probably, and no Breloom would stay in on something faster with Flying-type moves anyway. If you stay in to Swords Dance, chances are you will get a face full of Spore anyway and you can't BP while asleep.

Spore / Leech Seed variants are very tough, since Brelly restores 25% + 10-15% of its health every turn while under permanent Substitute.

Nah. My move would be Protect or Aerial Ace if your ninjask had nice IVs for attack and EVs. Use substitute to chew off some of that speed boost. Breloom will probably use substitute or if it uses rock slide no problem you will still get the first speed boost even though it killed your sub. Now use Baton Pass. And throw a fire type pokemon with insane stats for its attack and hopefully breloom shoulda used rock slide because it needs to kill your ninjasks substitute. Your fire type will attack first because of the speed boost and KO the Breloom. OR if Breloom used substitute as his first move and you used substitute. He will use rock slide as his second move which you use aerial ace. Your substitute dies you get a speed boost. Finally use baton pass. He will use substitute or rock slide again. Take out your fire type and KO his substitute or take the rock slide. Use flamethrower and hit his sub. Hopefully he will not use Spore if he used substitute. Then you use flamethrower again and KO. Done.

Last edited:
    Back