• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    The actual offset is everything after the 080 or 090. That's why you get 5 numbers instead of 8, because the first three are not as relevant to the offset coding itself.

Correction. It's not 5. It's 6 (plus 1 bit).
    GBA ROM is mapped into 08000000 - 09FFFFFF
    source: gbatek/gbamemorymap (Can't post the link due to post limit)

note: Thanks for answering my previous post.

Another question. How do I make my shiny pokemon has different stats from ordinary pokemon? (e.g. shiny swellow with 5% more stats, assuming 0 EV and 0 IV, and has slower exp growth)

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Correction. It's not 5. It's 6 (plus 1 bit).
    GBA ROM is mapped into 08000000 - 09FFFFFF
    source: gbatek/gbamemorymap (Can't post the link due to post limit)

note: Thanks for answering my previous post.

Another question. How do I make my shiny pokemon has different stats from ordinary pokemon? (e.g. shiny swellow with 5% more stats, assuming 0 EV and 0 IV, and has slower exp growth)

my guess would be either asm or duplicate your pokemon entries for shiny only and just edit their stats lol. only work around.

First, I would reccommend A-Map 1.92. It is less buggy and will not corrupt your ROM. When you get the five numbers, it doesn't include the 080 or 090 before the offset. 080 goes before the offset and 090 also does for expanded roms. But usually this isn't a problem, unless you used an older version of FSF. I'd advise upgarding to the newer version.

how many times has 1.95 corrupted your rom or have you only heard stories about this? seriously this is so annoying people keep saying this crap about 1.95 it isn't buggy unless you know how to use it ... I've used every feature of 1.95 at least once without any bugs. You just have to know what everything means and what everything you're doing does ... also a big thing you need to make sure of is under Settings uncheck Automatically look for offsets .... repoint everything yourself.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • Little question.
    Hoe to change the in-battle textbox? to be accurate this textbox:
    Quick Questions & Answers

I only can change the pallete, but I like a new textbox, and I see the GoGoJJtech hack have a DPPT box style.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Little question.
    Hoe to change the in-battle textbox? to be accurate this textbox:
    Quick Questions & Answers

I only can change the pallete, but I like a new textbox, and I see the GoGoJJtech hack have a DPPT box style.

The textbox is at the offset 0x8D00000
    No joke, it's RIGHT THERE. Right there. lol

It's in a mixture of different battle graphics, but if you look at it in NSE you'll see the pieces that make up the box. Careful editing, since it's compressed.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • The textbox is at the offset 0x8D00000
    No joke, it's RIGHT THERE. Right there. lol

It's in a mixture of different battle graphics, but if you look at it in NSE you'll see the pieces that make up the box. Careful editing, since it's compressed.

Are you sure?
    Mi hack size is 17.3MB, and say that no exist the 0x8D00000 adress, only exist 0x8D0000, but in these offset are only free space.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • how many times has 1.95 corrupted your rom or have you only heard stories about this? seriously this is so annoying people keep saying this crap about 1.95 it isn't buggy unless you know how to use it ... I've used every feature of 1.95 at least once without any bugs. You just have to know what everything means and what everything you're doing does ... also a big thing you need to make sure of is under Settings uncheck Automatically look for offsets .... repoint everything yourself.

No it legitimally always corrupts my ROM. I would use it if even one of its featuees didn't corrupt my ROM. Of course I've always heard stories, but I have experienced it myself. But for someone starting out, it would be kind of nervewrecking for everything to crash and crumble in your face, if you don't know how to use it.

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Are you sure?
    Mi hack size is 17.3MB, and say that no exist the 0x8D00000 adress, only exist 0x8D0000, but in these offset are only free space.

D00000 is 08D00000 in the ram. So D00000 in a hex editor :P

Years
  • Hello everyone,
    I am new to ROM Hacking as of yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me out on my journey. Right now I am attempting to hack Pokemon Ruby. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Hello everyone,
    I am new to ROM Hacking as of yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me out on my journey. Right now I am attempting to hack Pokemon Ruby. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Word of advice:
    Don't hack Ruby

It's extremely messy in coding, hard to work with, yadayada

I personally grew up with Ruby, but I hack FireRed although I NEVER played it (nor will I)
    Do the same, it's so worth it.

To start off, I'd suggest downloading advance map 1.92 since 1.95 has tons of bugs, and use extreme script editor 1.1.1 to learn how to basic script. Just follow tutorials and you're good as a beginner. If you need anything you can join me in the chat in my signature or just message me. :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Question. In gen III, what factor determines your pokemon nature? (Previously, I thought that nature is determined by personality value, but it seems that personality value is recalculated when the nature of the value is not equal to desired nature.)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    (Nooby question)
    So for a while, I've been wanting to start battle scripting, for emerald. However, all tutorials I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong) are for FR. I really wanna try, but I have no clue how to actually do it, load different backgrounds, make animations, all that stuff. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    So I found this line of code in karatekid's tool's .ini file.
    hoenncryauxtable
    What is that and how many bytes does it have for each PKMN?

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    So I found this line of code in karatekid's tool's .ini file.

What is that and how many bytes does it have for each PKMN?
    That's the auxiliary cry table (idk if I spelled that right). The Pokemon after the limbo slots use that table to find their cries.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    I see. So the hoenncryauxtable is only for those 25 empty slots, right? How many bytes does one slot have in that table?
    No, I said after the limbo slots. Basically the Hoenn Pokemon. That's why it's hoenncryauxtable. You should be able to figure out how the game assigns cries to the hoenn Pokemon if you look at it in a hex editor.
    In retrospect I should've said it's for the hoenn Pokemon instead of saying "after the limbo slots". Sorry if my answer confused you.

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
    Years
  • Hello i am working on a hack of pokemon emerald and i am attempting to add 24 pokemon to the game by replacing the pokemon between celebi and treecko and so far the only problem i am having is that since i am using Pokemon Emerald as a rom base there is a second set of frames used for animations unfortunately the tools i use Advance Series displays a slot for a second set of frames but will not let me import any images to use the second set of frames.

Is there any way to fix this or perhaps a tool, i tried implementing a .gif file but unfortunately i dont know how to edit a .gif file to index and move each of the sprites in the animation so they fit in the tool.

also i wanted to add a sixth evolution for Eevee but Yape only allows 5 evolutions in a group,
    if anyone could help me in that regard id appreciate it and if anyone has solutions to my problems i will have more questions later on if that is acceptable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Hello i am working on a hack of pokemon emerald and i am attempting to add 24 pokemon to the game by replacing the pokemon between celebi and treecko and so far the only problem i am having is that since i am using Pokemon Emerald as a rom base there is a second set of frames used for animations unfortunately the tools i use Advance Series displays a slot for a second set of frames but will not let me import any images to use the second set of frames.

Is there any way to fix this or perhaps a tool, i tried implementing a .gif file but unfortunately i dont know how to edit a .gif file to index and move each of the sprites in the animation so they fit in the tool.

also i wanted to add a sixth evolution for Eevee but Yape only allows 5 evolutions in a group,
    if anyone could help me in that regard id appreciate it and if anyone has solutions to my problems i will have more questions later on if that is acceptable.
    First of all, you should expand the Pokedex, instead of using the limbo slots. It will be harder to do, but you'll have less glitches in the long run. Also, creating new animations will require ASM (unless you're assigning existing animations to new Pokemon). As for the evolution expansion, I believe G3HS will work just fine for that.

(Nooby question)
    So for a while, I've been wanting to start battle scripting, for emerald. However, all tutorials I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong) are for FR. I really wanna try, but I have no clue how to actually do it, load different backgrounds, make animations, all that stuff. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    For battle scripting, there's a list of useful offsets + decompiled move battle scripts floating around somewhere in the research forum. I think Tlachtli posted them. As for the backgrounds, if you're talking about the move animation backgrounds, I found the offset for the background table a long time ago. Just expand that table, and you should be good to go. I've also ported MrDollSteak's tutorial on custom particles to Emerald, so just look at his tutorial. (he included the offsets for Emerald) And for animations, just compare the animation scripts for Firered and Emerald. You should be able to figure out which commands in Emerald corresponds to the commands in Firered. I do have a list of commands for Emerald floating around somewhere, but it's not complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
    Years
  • there is most likely already a tutorial for expanding the pokedex so if you can just point me to it and what is G3HS,

i have no knowledge of asm so unless there is a tutorial for it i would require some help,

also i am wondering how to avoid data corruption when using the unused map leftovers, unused headers, adding wild pokemon data, connections and creating a new map itself

i tested to see if this would happen and after altering three maps two headers and adding connections and wild pokemon data the voicegroups used in music changed and some icons became corrupt, if theres a solution please tell me because id rather not have to revert to a backup every time i try to make progress in a hack. this happened to me atliest 10 times already

and thanks for the help

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back