• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey, could anyone explain me how to insert Spinda or Castform sprites correctly? Because it looks like Wichu's Sprite Editor isn't the best choice for those two.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Does the 'EVs' function in Hopeless Trainer Editor edit the amount of EVs the opponent Pokémon pays out, or is it something related to increasing difficulty?
    And can anyone tell me what advantage HTE has over A-Trainer aside from the superior data repoint?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Does anyone know the RAM location of your Pokemon's learned moves?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Does the 'EVs' function in Hopeless Trainer Editor edit the amount of EVs the opponent Pokémon pays out, or is it something related to increasing difficulty?
    And can anyone tell me what advantage HTE has over A-Trainer aside from the superior data repoint?
    It sounds like https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307117 but I haven't used Hopeless Trainer Editor, so I don't really know. A-Trainer is a very old tool that lacks support for things like expanded pokemon, attacks, and items.
    Does anyone know the RAM location of your Pokemon's learned moves?
    As in the moves it knows? Like this? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_data_structure_in_Generation_III

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021

Yes, I was looking at that actually but I must have not seen the moves in the substructure. The data structure is easy enough to understand except for the substructure part, no matter what I do I always get a bad egg because I don't know how the checksum works.

Oh well, in case you're wondering I'm trying to change the moves some pokemon know by changing the ram in vba's memory viewer since atm they can't learn moves past 512. Good thing the battle frontier exists so I know the moves work properly. Just need that all important learnset hack.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Yes, I was looking at that actually but I must have not seen the moves in the substructure. The data structure is easy enough to understand except for the substructure part, no matter what I do I always get a bad egg because I don't know how the checksum works.

Oh well, in case you're wondering I'm trying to change the moves some pokemon know by changing the ram in vba's memory viewer since atm they can't learn moves past 512. Good thing the battle frontier exists so I know the moves work properly. Just need that all important learnset hack.
    Call the getattr and setattr routines that are already in Emerald to read and write to the encrypted data instead of needlessly rewriting the encryption and decryption routines. But I doubt that's your issue anyways. The reason you can't have moves beyond 512 moves without changing routines is that the current level-up moves are 2 bytes for each entry, with 7 bits for level and 9 bits for attack index. You'd need 3 bytes to have level-up moves beyond 511 (well, perhaps not need, but it would be the easiest to do). Therefore, the issue that you're running into is a ROM issue, not a RAM issue.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Does the 'EVs' function in Hopeless Trainer Editor edit the amount of EVs the opponent Pokémon pays out, or is it something related to increasing difficulty?

The EV is for how many that Pokemon has not what it gives. To change the output use a regular pokemon editor.
    The upsides of using are countless, it newer so its actually getting updates and bug fixes, the ui is a little nicer, better ini support, correct labeling, upon the next update I believe Lostelle was including a randomize trainer party option so theres that too.

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Call the getattr and setattr routines that are already in Emerald to read and write to the encrypted data instead of needlessly rewriting the encryption and decryption routines. But I doubt that's your issue anyways. The reason you can't have moves beyond 512 moves without changing routines is that the current level-up moves are 2 bytes for each entry, with 7 bits for level and 9 bits for attack index. You'd need 3 bytes to have level-up moves beyond 511 (well, perhaps not need, but it would be the easiest to do). Therefore, the issue that you're running into is a ROM issue, not a RAM issue.

I know that level moves are 2 bytes so until kleenefeu posts his research I'll have to wait. I'm not asking for a way for the player to do it. It's just a testing thing.

I was just saying that in the battle factory and slateport tent where you have rental pokemon, the moves beyond 512 show up perfectly in the status screen. But copying the data substructure onto another pokemon results in a bad egg so it's not that simple.

Thanks anyway, I thought it would be simple like changing everything else in the data structure.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I know that level moves are 2 bytes so until kleenefeu posts his research I'll have to wait. I'm not asking for a way for the player to do it. It's just a testing thing.

I was just saying that in the battle factory and slateport tent where you have rental pokemon, the moves beyond 512 show up perfectly in the status screen. But copying the data substructure onto another pokemon results in a bad egg so it's not that simple.

Thanks anyway, I thought it would be simple like changing everything else in the data structure.
    Oh. If you're just testing the moves, you could always temporarily change the attack a TM or move tutor teaches. Even without changing routines, it isn't limited to 0x1FF and does the encryption automatically.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    I apologize if this question has been asked already but i can't find it in the thread using the search feature, or anywhere on google. Is there a way to increase the amount of boxes the PC can have? I have 869 total Pokemon in my hack and I'd like the PC to be able to store more Pokemon.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I apologize if this question has been asked already but i can't find it in the thread using the search feature, or anywhere on google. Is there a way to increase the amount of boxes the PC can have? I have 869 total Pokemon in my hack and I'd like the PC to be able to store more Pokemon.
    Not at the moment unfortunately, I' trying to delve into myself but I've not made much progress.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I apologize if this question has been asked already but i can't find it in the thread using the search feature, or anywhere on google. Is there a way to increase the amount of boxes the PC can have? I have 869 total Pokemon in my hack and I'd like the PC to be able to store more Pokemon.

This has been answered many times. Even using JPAN's save block hack, the PC boxes use up too much memory for more than maybe 1 extra box. And no, the memory cannot be expanded.
    Can anyone help me , please ? my VBA doesnt work on fire pkm fire red . it turn black after the gengar and ratata fight scene . i cant play any hack roms of fire red :c . can anyone please help me ? i beg u guys T^T

Chances are the problem is with the ROM you're using. Try downloading one from a different source.

This has been answered many times. Even using JPAN's save block hack, the PC boxes use up too much memory for more than maybe 1 extra box. And no, the memory cannot be expanded.

Chances are the problem is with the ROM you're using. Try downloading one from a different source.

i tried with diffrent source , i just wanna play your hack rom :c . 1st time i play it was whitescreen after i fix the white screen , it turn out to be smooth until the pokemon fighting scene . :c and i tried play normal fire red , it works . after i use lunar ips and patch it . it stuck on the fighting scene and go black .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2022
    Need help with patching at certain offsets

So lets say I accidentally erased 50 bytes at 1200 (which I did). How would I make a patch using an original Rom for only the offsets 0x1200-0x1300. I'm pretty worried. Here's the command I used(by accident):
    Code:
    #erase 0x1200 0x50
    #org 0x801200

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i tried with diffrent source , i just wanna play your hack rom :c . 1st time i play it was whitescreen after i fix the white screen , it turn out to be smooth until the pokemon fighting scene . :c and i tried play normal fire red , it works . after i use lunar ips and patch it . it stuck on the fighting scene and go black .

Are you certain you are using FR 1.0 and not 1.1?
    You can tell if a green PRESENTS appears below the gamefreak logo. That would be version 1.1 if it does.
    Most fr hacks use 1.0.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    So lets say I accidentally erased 50 bytes at 1200 (which I did). How would I make a patch using an original Rom for only the offsets 0x1200-0x1300. I'm pretty worried. Here's the command I used(by accident):
    Code:
    #erase 0x1200 0x50
    #org 0x801200
    Just use a hex editor. Go to 0x1200, copy 50 bytes and paste them into your ROM.

Years
  • I get this error loading my FireRed ROM in 'Gen3 Hacking Suite':

Traceback(most recent call last):
    File"E/Secret-Tool/build/mainWIN/out00-PYZ.pyz\wx._core", line 16767, in <lambda>
    File"<string>" line 438, in reload_all_tabs
    File"<string>" line 454, in_init_
    File"<string>" line 540, in_init_
    File"<string>" line 723, in_init_
    File"<string>" line 784, in_init_
    File"<string>" line 959, in generate_ui
    IOError:[Errno 22]Invalid argument

Does anybody know what this means, why I get it or how to prevent it?

The ROM I'm using isn't clean but I don't want to have to start over. A problem with the ini?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back