• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i indexed my sprite yet the shiny still changes color when insterted through g3hs, any solution?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    I read this question on another board but it hasn't been answered and it interests me too: can you edit FR so much that any saves you have won't work with it anymore?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I read this question on another board but it hasn't been answered and it interests me too: can you edit FR so much that any saves you have won't work with it anymore?
    Yes. The simplest thing I can think of would be making you get stuck when you open the save file by remapping the area you're saved in.

But since you probably wanted the answer for a situation if the save file can get corrupted when you try to continue playing it within the game, the answer to this is also yes. It's practically possible to do anything with the game by not only changing some data used by the engine (maps, scripts, all kinds of table entries, and such), but also how the engine itself works. If you try creating an IPS patch that uses pokemon firered as the unmodified rom file and new modified rom file as some Mario game for GBA, you should be able to create a patch file between them. What this means is that the patch file then contains information behind, how to change pokemon firered into a GBA Mario game. And save file for FireRed "shouldn't" (= will not) work with that game.

Generally, it's possible to do anything, but a good question that often comes into mind during the hacking process is "How?".

Cool! I have HxD, so how would I go about doing that?
    If that one happens to have this functionality, you can "search and replace" all byte entries matching with text string "Rocket", or "ROCKET" (whatever it is mentioned as in the game) with another 6-mark text string you like. If you want to have a shorter, or longer name for your evil team, I can't think of a way to do it directly like this.

To search for those names ("Rocket", or "ROCKET"), you'll have to type those words in byte form as the text table shows you: https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pokémon_FireRed_-_TBL

Doing this kind of stuff might lead into bugs though but it's unlikely that would happen. The reason for this is that if there is some data in the game that is not used as text and it's "text representation" would still be a byte sequence that would match with "Rocket", or "ROCKET", you would with this "search and replace" functionality also overwrite that with your new name. Since here the new name wouldn't be used as text, doing this would actually broke something. But this is very unlikely.

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • So, how exactly does expanding abilities work in FR/E?
    Is all you have to do expand the names/descriptions and then add a pointer to a table that points to all of the abilities' individual routines? If so, where is the routine table?
    Sorry for my questions, haha...

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • So, how exactly does expanding abilities work in FR/E?
    Is all you have to do expand the names/descriptions and then add a pointer to a table that points to all of the abilities' individual routines? If so, where is the routine table?
    Sorry for my questions, haha...

Check out the ASM and Ability Resource Threads in the Research and Development section. One of those has recent posts that explain where the abilities are called from and what they're hooked into.

_Evan

Learning to ROM Hack
    Years
  • So I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but XSE is not working properly. I click compile script, it says it compiles the script. I close out of XSE, reopen it and the ROM, check at the offset the script should be at, and it doesn't exist.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    So I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but XSE is not working properly. I click compile script, it says it compiles the script. I close out of XSE, reopen it and the ROM, check at the offset the script should be at, and it doesn't exist.

Are you sure you're checking the actual offset and not just the dynamic one you provide at the start of the script? If you're doing exactly this:

1) Open ROM in XSE, paste in script
    2) Compile and copy the offset it gives you
    3) paste in Amap/XSE

I'm not sure what would be going wrong. Make sure you're using 1.1.1 and that XSE actually has the privileges to write to other files.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    So I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but XSE is not working properly. I click compile script, it says it compiles the script. I close out of XSE, reopen it and the ROM, check at the offset the script should be at, and it doesn't exist.

See this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185188#putrom
    As chrunch stated, you probably aren't using the offset XSE gave you after you've compiled your script.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    Hello I'm here to ask another question this is regarding cries can u show/tell me exactly how u did it because when I get to the part where it wants me to put my pointer in PGE I get this message "Input String is not in a correct format" and I don't know why this is happening so if u can help me out with this

_Evan

Learning to ROM Hack
    Years
  • Are you sure you're checking the actual offset and not just the dynamic one you provide at the start of the script? If you're doing exactly this:

1) Open ROM in XSE, paste in script
    2) Compile and copy the offset it gives you
    3) paste in Amap/XSE

I'm not sure what would be going wrong. Make sure you're using 1.1.1 and that XSE actually has the privileges to write to other files.
    I was using the dynamic one :/
    Thanks for helping.

Couple other problems I am having/help I need. I have an area I created but for some reason whenever I try to use the warp event I created it just crashes the game. When I click "Follow Warp" in AdvanceMap it seems to work fine. I also need some help creating some scripts for Legendary Encounters.

Etherion

I've been trying our hacking for a while and I came across this thing that always get on my nerves - it's the map tiles from Advance Map, they're super messy, a big reason why I haven't effectively made a custom map of my own. -_-

So, do you guys have any methods in order to make a map efficiently despite the messy layout of the tiles? Any tips and tricks of map making will be much appreciated by this aspiring hacker! Thank you in advance {XD}​

Years
  • Hello,
    I have been having a few problems with Gen III Hacking Suite.
    When I would try to load firered I would get this:
    Quick Questions & Answers

It would ask me to recover and I would say yes.
    After I was done recovering it would say this :

Upon which it would go through the whole cycle again.

Another error I have been having with Emerald is when ever I try to edit a pokemon's moves the pokemon below it would have this error:

Which means I cannot edit that pokemon's moves.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I've been trying our hacking for a while and I came across this thing that always get on my nerves - it's the map tiles from Advance Map, they're super messy, a big reason why I haven't effectively made a custom map of my own. -_-

So, do you guys have any methods in order to make a map efficiently despite the messy layout of the tiles? Any tips and tricks of map making will be much appreciated by this aspiring hacker! Thank you in advance {XD}​
    You could rearrange the tiles to be nicely arranged as you see fit, but that would be a real, real pain. Personally, I just ended up getting used to how it is and using it as is...
    Sorry that this doesn't necessarily answer your question, haha...

Years
  • Anyone know if there's a tutorial or whatever to remove footprints? I don't think I'll be needing them in my game. It just seems superfluous and tedious to me. Any way to remove them altogether via hex-editing?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back