• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rap Music

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What are your opinions on rap music? What's your opinion on rap in general? Do you find it a talent that should be so overproduced and focus on such limited things? Do you enjoy listening to it? Or do you think its pretty much... well, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    The majority of rap/hip hop is generic, boring and incredibly stereotypical. There are a few artists that do make awesome music, though, that doesn't run through a checklist of gangster clichés within every damn song.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I said it before and I'll say it again; there is a reason that rap only has a one letter difference from crap. Most of the rap I hear is unbearably stupid and is just used to stroke the ego of the artist that made it. There are a handful of rappers that I like, but only because they break the stereotype that most rappers are.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Not all rap is absolutely terrible. There are a select few underground rappers I'll listen to, along with a couple of older rappers. As for what I usually hear on hit stations -- mindless, repetitive junk -- nothx.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    I said it before and I'll say it again; there is a reason that rap only has a one letter difference from crap. Most of the rap I hear is unbearably stupid and is just used to stroke the ego of the artist that made it. There are a handful of rappers that I like, but only because they break the stereotype that most rappers are.
    Rock is only a one letter difference from crock (of crap).
    Pop is only a letter away from being poop.
    You can rearrange most of the letters in metal to make lame.
    Blues can be rearranged to form lubes.
    Jazz only needs one letter changed to become jizz.
    Opera can be rearranged to O rape.

So, to clarify, that "rap is only one letter short of crap" is utterly stupid and pointless because you can do something similar with most music genres.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Rap can also be changed to rape, since it rapes my ears.

I seriously hate rap music by pretty much every rap artist. It's just a weak genre and they even manage to eff up what little talent they think they have. I think I can seriously only say I enjoy Eminem as a rap artist.

I was listening to a song by Akon today (is he rap enough?) and the lyrics were, "I am trying to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful, cause she's a sexy b----". Ironically defeating the purpose of being respectful. How is that even worth anyone's time to listen to? That seriously takes no talent.

But that's not to say other genres aren't crappy either. Metal (the screaming crap) is just pathetic. What's the point of listening to a song that you can't even understand without needing a lyrical sheet?

I enjoy every type of musical genre, but there's only so much mediocre material a guy can take before finding most of the genre a waste.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

So, to clarify, that "rap is only one letter short of crap" is utterly stupid and pointless because you can do something similar with most music genres.

Before replying to my comments, make sure your joke sensor is on the "on" position.
    Just saying. :\

Years
    rap is all that rules the charts today and it is the most digusting thing i have ever heard
    it is a "talent", but everybody has it, its just swearing and sex, its stupid, well thats my opinion

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Well, there are many different sub-genres of rap music, so you can't really generalize it all as "crap," but....

Yeah, I generally dislike rap music. Other than a few older groups (Rage Against The Machine, Cyprus Hill, etc), most of what's played on the radio today as "rap" all sounds generally the exact same, and imo, is not a respectable genre. Especially when taking in to consideration a lot of rap lyrics, which generally either just talk about shooting people, having money, or sex with hookers.

...So yeah.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Just to clarify, rapping is a vocal style, not a genre. I see far too many people referring to it as a genre now.

I don't generalise. Yeah, a lot of rap music I hear is awful, but I'd say most of the mainstream music these days is awful anyway; whether it's rapping or not.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Ugh, that was bad. I only based my reply on what I hear all the time, mainly from media, television, the radio... all that mainstream junk. I've done my research now and anyone who says that rap isn't music is being purely childish - it's obviously music. If you go and learn the history of rap, it may change your mind. There are a LOT of good rap artists out there, some people are just not choosing to be more open-minded. Of course, it just might not be your cup-of-tea too, but for God's sake, don't go bashing it and believing how rap is only composed about degrading women, bling, and being gangsta, yo.

Yeah, now that I was able to comprehend more about rap, it's not bad. If you want a list of good bands, I'll be happy to share one for you.

Last edited:

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
    I usually only like rap under two conditions:

1) The song has a meaning that doesn't relate to something shallow or just plain stupid.

2) It somehow uses a women singer in the song (I think this gives rap a good sound since it evens everything out). I like the song the The Way I Are for this reason.
    Good meaning + Good sound = Good rap :)

But overall rap doesn't interest me much. I won't say it shouldn't exist because I know others enjoy it and taking that away from someone who is inspired by it is wrong. Sorry if my messege seems like a cop out :P

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Yeah I like rap?
    so what.
    But it depends who I listen to.

If I had to pick an few artist that I like it'll probably be Eminem, & 2pac.

The only artist I dont listen to is the one now these days since its all about Money, and phat girls, and idk.

those 2 rappers talk about live and whats going on in thiers lives that they write in there feelings, that the type I do like to listen to.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Not all Rap is good and not all Rap is bad. Some of the examples of pure talent in the genre are Jay-Z, Tech N9ne, Kanye West, Krizz Kalliko, Common and more. I wont lie, Soulja Boy, 50 Cent and Lil Boosie annoy the hell out of me and I would consider them bad rappers.

Years
    Just to clarify, rapping is a vocal style, not a genre. I see far too many people referring to it as a genre now.
    I think it's actually a sub-genre of hip hop, having grown up from a style.

Anyhoo, at some point rap changed from being a form of expression to a way of making money and that's when it lost respectability. A rapper isn't going to sell as many records by rapping about inequality and other sensitive topics. Record companies are just relying on the two things guaranteed to get people's attention: sex and death (a.k.a., violence). Personally it's not my thing so I don't bother seeking out the good artists.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    You just hear too much gangsta rap in the mainstream media these days.
    What happened to rap that's devoid of the hood/ghetto/popping someone in the ass etc?

Years
    I was listening to a song by Akon today (is he rap enough?) and the lyrics were, "I am trying to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful, cause she's a sexy b----". Ironically defeating the purpose of being respectful. How is that even worth anyone's time to listen to? That seriously takes no talent.

Lmao, I pretty much thought the exact same thing when I heard that song. ^

I don't mind most rap, I just need to be in the mood. Like if I'm at a party or something then yeah, throw on some Lil Wayne or whoever. I barely ever listen to it by myself (anymore) unless it's a song that I actually like. Homecoming, by Kanye West; I love the piano in that song. I'd listen to it regardless of whether it was rap or not, it's a good song.

But yeah... like I said, I really don't mind rap, I'd just rather listen to other genres.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I do not consider rap music. I think it's just talking very fast and forcefully into a microphone that is most likely broken.

Today, I heard a rap song with the lyrics of "Come and find me, Nemo". ............. >_>

The lyrics generally suck in a rap song. You can't understand what they're saying half the time, and the other half you don't WANT to understand what they're saying. The lyrics are almost always shallow. I really haven't heard many rap songs that don't go "pussy pussy pussy" throughout lol. And the tune / beat isn't attractive to me. It sounds monotonous, and boring. And for that reason, most rap songs sound exactly the same to me.

Eh, I guess my interpretation of good music usually involves a melody. :(

Rapping isn't really a talent. I've never, not once, in my life heard a rapper blow me away with his/her ability to rap. You don't need a good vocal ability to do that (at least I don't think?).

I like some R&B songs though. They're not impressing me with vocal abilities or anything but they do have a good beat. I hate it when some good catchy R&B songs are ruined because they added a random rapper in the middle (like Down).

It's an expression?

Back