• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Rarest Pokemon in XY?

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
  • I've given up, and sometimes didn't bother, trying to look for the extremely rare Pokemon because I would for sure be spending an exuberant amount of time looking for it before moving the story along. For some reason, Psyduck gave me a tough time. Took me 2 hours to find one...And then the apparently "rare" ones were easier to find than the common ones at some points! @.@

Not quite the right word there.

"Exuberant" refers to an excessive amount of energy or joy.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I caught a Staravia and bred for Starly haha. All those horde Pokemon are ridiculously hard to find.

Sweet Scent is your best friend.. triggers automatic horde battles. Oddish family line is easy to get, common and have sweet scent already (use it like you use HM Fly).

Also here's the complete list of hordes and where to find them:
    https://www.serebii.net/xy/hordes.shtml

Skarmory. I've yet to see one, and the only encounter being a sky drop doesn't help it.

Best place to get a Skarmory is in Victory Road, the outside area between the two cave sections.. There's a Stone Altar looking area, walk along that back of that and there will be one or two sky drop encounters. will either be a Fearow or Skarmory.. and if they spawn Fearow, with the Cave Entrance being near by, just simply enter into the cave and walk back out to reset the Wild Encounter. Should eventually encounter a Skarmory in no time.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Best place to get a Skarmory is in Victory Road, the outside area between the two cave sections.. There's a Stone Altar looking area, walk along that back of that and there will be one or two sky drop encounters. will either be a Fearow or Skarmory.. and if they spawn Fearow, with the Cave Entrance being near by, just simply enter into the cave and walk back out to reset the Wild Encounter. Should eventually encounter a Skarmory in no time.

Here's a better idea, and not as time-consuming: when a shadow appears, save in front of it, then walk up to it. If it's not the one you want, reset. That's how I got Hydreigon without having to run around.

Another one I forgot to mention is Pinsir. Those things took forever to find.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Best place to get a Skarmory is in Victory Road, the outside area between the two cave sections.. There's a Stone Altar looking area, walk along that back of that and there will be one or two sky drop encounters. will either be a Fearow or Skarmory.. and if they spawn Fearow, with the Cave Entrance being near by, just simply enter into the cave and walk back out to reset the Wild Encounter. Should eventually encounter a Skarmory in no time.
    I know, that's the only place. But no matter how long I'm walking, I never find those shadows. I must be blind.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2014
    Never seen an Arbok where the pokedex says it should be. Dunno if it's rare as hell or just game bug?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'm not sure if there's any that are like, super rare, not like Feebas in RSE -shudder- So a lot of this will probably just be anecdotal.

But with that said, the Pokemon that I've had the hardest time finding is Mawile. I'm not even sure if it's like, really rare or anything, but I've only run into one throughout the entire game (which I caught. Woot!). Also, Hydreigon is pretty rare. I didn't even know you could run into it in the wild at first, then one swooped down on me on victory road xD

Years
  • Pidgey's pretty rare. When I went searching for them on Route 3, it took me about 15 minutes to find one. I caught it, but it didn't have a good nature, though, which sucked. :( Another would be Taillow. Regardless of how hard I try, I just never seem to find them.

Pidgey??? Rarest out of this entire game? *laughs* no.

I'd personally say Heatmor. Nobody even knows it exists and is a very rare encounter in route 18 in which you can skip the grass fairly often.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Pidgey's pretty rare. When I went searching for them on Route 3, it took me about 15 minutes to find one. I caught it, but it didn't have a good nature, though, which sucked. :( Another would be Taillow. Regardless of how hard I try, I just never seem to find them.

lol, are you fail-trolling?

you're kidding right? Pidgey is scripted as the first wild encounter in X & Y, as soon as you walk into the very 1st patch of grass in X&Y, the very first Pokemon is Pidgey, and that's on Route 2.

Also Pidgey would be easier/faster to spawn on Route 2 than 3, as there's less Wild Pokemon on that route than the next.

I'd personally say Heatmor. Nobody even knows it exists and is a very rare encounter in route 18 in which you can skip the grass fairly often.

Hearmor is only in Horde Encounters on Route 18.. and that's really easy to trigger.

Use an oddish or any Pokemon that knows Sweet Scent (use it the same as you'd use HM Fly) and it triggers a Horde Battle and Viola! 5 Heatmors.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah, Mawile seems to be rare. I've been looking for one but haven't come across one yet. Dunsparce is probably rare, it seems to be rare in a lot of games. xD

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Yeah, Mawile seems to be rare. I've been looking for one but haven't come across one yet. Dunsparce is probably rare, it seems to be rare in a lot of games. xD

Mawile is a rare spawn in the glittering cave but can easily be obtained in vast quantities from a friend safari.

and dunsparce isn't rare i think? it's easily gotten in the flowers near the entrance for Cave of Emptiness, at least that's where i remember i got mine.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    Some of the fishing pokemon are really hard to find.. Like Gorebyss and Lanturn took awhile to fish up.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I would say right now, the rarest Pokémon is a legit Mew, or a shiny legit Mew if that Is even possible. The last distribution for Mew was in 2010 if I remember correctly. Every other legendary are either catchable in specific versions or have had a distribution event more recently than the Mew event.

Years
  • I had to give up on Kangashkhan and just trade for it. I spent hours trying to get my hands on one of those guys.

Other than that I haven't had too much trouble getting the pokes that I wanted/needed.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • I'd say Burmy and Dedenne for me. It took me forever to find a Burmy in the beginning of the game and it took me almost an hour of grinding my Yanma to actually see a Dedenne. I had actually forgotten they were on that route.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
  • Politoed with the super rod. Found two but it uses perish song, so i use my haxorus's false swipe to take it down and use two ultra balls, got it done after the fith politoed, but i caught one adamant in friend safari (poliwhirl) and evolved it to politoed, stillwanted to super rod one though :-)

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Never seen an Arbok where the pokedex says it should be. Dunno if it's rare as hell or just game bug?

Late reply, however Arbok is only found in Hordes on Route 19.

Just have a sweet scenter in your party, such as Oddish, and use Sweet Scent (same way as you'd use HM Fly) and it will trigger a horde battle. keep doing that until you encounter Arboks :P They are the rare spawn in the yellow flowers, but they should show up eventually.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2014
    Taillow for me...four and a half hours of using sweet scent and not a single horde of them. GTS'd it in the end then breed a box worth to make it feel worthwhile

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • any pokemon in the GTS cause a lot of people apparently believe that their magicarps are worth a legendary

jokes aside, I personally found it difficult to get hold of rattata, meowth, slakoth and unown. Especially the unown, cause I had trade a porygon z for one.

Last edited:
    Back