• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ready to Brawl! Super Smash Brothers Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Username: Shrew
Character Select: Kirby main (& claim), but Pokemon Trainer is my favorite (R.I.P.)
What was your first Smash game?: SSB 64. I played it once at a hotel when I was little when I couldn't even get past the Samus stage in 1 player mode. First time actually "owning" (borrowing from a friend) SSB64 was when Brawl was already out, haha. I now own Brawl, but skipped Melee. :)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Bowser has never been awful. He's very very sturdy. Just tank characters require the patience of a saint
He's always been downright terrible actually. Nothing redeeming whatsoever except for being hard to kill...but he's a big target so that actually isn't particularly hard at all especially with his awful recovery.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Username: Shrew
Character Select: Kirby main (& claim), but Pokemon Trainer is my favorite (R.I.P.)
What was your first Smash game?: SSB 64. I played it once at a hotel when I was little when I couldn't even get past the Samus stage in 1 player mode. First time actually "owning" (borrowing from a friend) SSB64 was when Brawl was already out, haha. I now own Brawl, but skipped Melee. :)

Welcome! I'm kinda sad that Pokemon Trainer won't be part of the new SSB but he will still be usable in Brawl. Charizard was probably the best used Pokemon in Brawl while Ivysaur and Squirtle weren't used very well (it was hard to maneuver Ivysaur when trying to use vine whip to reach higher ground >___<).

Brawl's god tier character returns, and one of his moves got nerfed according to the PotD at Miiverse.

Glad to see Meta Knight returning! I used to main him a little bit before moving on to Toon Link. As long as I keep my maximum flying technique, I'm good.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Welcome! I'm kinda sad that Pokemon Trainer won't be part of the new SSB but he will still be usable in Brawl. Charizard was probably the best used Pokemon in Brawl while Ivysaur and Squirtle weren't used very well (it was hard to maneuver Ivysaur when trying to use vine whip to reach higher ground >___<).
Now we'll never have a female Pokémon trainer as his alt., as it was my most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros. 4. The good news is that at least Iris won't be happening as one of my Meta Knight's screenshots at the website shows Axew as a background Pokémon at the Kalos League stage.

Glad to see Meta Knight returning! I used to main him a little bit before moving on to Toon Link. As long as I keep my maximum flying technique, I'm good.
If it includes the gliding mechanic, then tough luck, because that mechanic was confirmed to be removed according to Wednesday's picture on Miiverse.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
is it just me who thinks this, or is meta knight just sound like a version of kirby that is hopped up on caffeine? i mean really, his attack speed is broken fast

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
is it just me who thinks this, or is meta knight just sound like a version of kirby that is hopped up on caffeine? i mean really, his attack speed is broken fast

In Kirby: Super Star Ultra, one of the battles against Meta Knight has his mask falling off to briefly expose that he's the same species as Kirby, "star warriors" I believe. So yes, he literally is. :P Many of his SSB moves were based off of attacks that Kirby has from other series, too.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Actually Charizard was the worst of three. Squirtle and Ivysaur feel a lot better to use to most people I bet. Though as a heavy user, I've always preferred Charizard...but he really was AWFUL in Brawl. He has potential here.
In Kirby: Super Star Ultra, one of the battles against Meta Knight has his mask falling off to briefly expose that he's the same species as Kirby, "star warriors" I believe. So yes, he literally is. :P Many of his SSB moves were based off of attacks that Kirby has from other series, too.
The Kirby characters in Smash play a lot like they do in Kirby games. If you never used Dedede in a Kirby game, then you'd be surprised at how much he plays like his Brawl version.

The Kirby characters in Smash are really the most similar to how they play in their own games. Makes sense since Smash takes a bit from the Kirby series. (Same director and all)
The character that plays the least like they do in their own games (if you control them directly and not in a vehicle or something) is Wario, but it's understandable since the Wario in Smash takes from Warioware, a series where you don't directly control Wario compared to Wario Land. Dunno if I'm thankful or not since Wario in Brawl ended up super fun despite being a huge fan of the Wario Land games haha.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Actually Charizard was the worst of three. Squirtle and Ivysaur feel a lot better to use to most people I bet. Though as a heavy user, I've always preferred Charizard...but he really was AWFUL in Brawl. He has potential here.

The Kirby characters in Smash play a lot like they do in Kirby games. If you never used Dedede in a Kirby game, then you'd be surprised at how much he plays like his Brawl version.

The Kirby characters in Smash are really the most similar to how they play in their own games. Makes sense since Smash takes a bit from the Kirby series. (Same director and all)
The character that plays the least like they do in their own games (if you control them directly and not in a vehicle or something) is Wario, but it's understandable since the Wario in Smash takes from Warioware, a series where you don't directly control Wario compared to Wario Land. Dunno if I'm thankful or not since Wario in Brawl ended up super fun despite being a huge fan of the Wario Land games haha.

I always heard that the order of usefulness was Squirtle > Charizard > Ivysaur. Although personally I liked Ivysaur > Squirtle > Charizard in order of use. I was more interested in the team dynamic of Pokemon Trainer, and how the 3-in-1 was a good representation of the Pokemon series, so even if all 3 of them were included as playable characters, I probably wouldn't want to use them.

The Kirby characters definitely do have a lot in common. Interestingly, the Kirby Triple Deluxe introduced L/R for a spinning air dodge, just like in SSBB, so I think there's some back-and-forth influence.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Zero and a Half Suit Samus confirmed:

Spoiler:

Already there's complaints about Samus being oversexualized despite being made by a female designer, as pointed out by Sakurai. So when are we getting Outset Island Toon Link?

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
Years
I'm going to miss that one time I used Pokemon Trainer. I liked Ivysaur the best of the three. I always seemed to run off the frigging battlefield when skidding across with squirtle with the shell attack.

Years
A big big thanks to Cadance for updating the member's list!

Anyway, I think Meta Knight coming back was kind of a given? I mean, he's a long time vetran and all. As for the Samus outfits...umm, I love her and she's pretty, but the Zero Suit was sexy enough :/

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Already there's complaints about Samus being oversexualized
What

those are god damn sportswear you see women wearing every day in the gym, when they go jogging or even when doing combat sports like boxing or MMA

holy crap

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
What

those are god damn sportswear you see women wearing every day in the gym, when they go jogging or even when doing combat sports like boxing or MMA

holy crap
I know right? The complaints are coming from Tumblr and Facebook, where the majority of radical feminists and social justice warriors thrive. They think showing Samus in a fanservice outfit is sexist, despite being sexualized since the first Metroid game, as it contradicts her "character" as a strong independent warrior who wears heavy clothing that leave nothing to men's imagination. It's the heels controversy all over again. I even made a thread about this clothing issue at the Discussions & Debates section just to keep this club on-topic.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
I have no problem with her "alternate costume" (using quotes because shes basically in underwear) but I hope this means two things. 1. we can get Bayonetta because she basically naked all the time 2. Maybe we'll get a new Metroid. I know the second doesnt make sense but I'm always hopeful.

Also, Since we have a fire and water pokemon is it safe to say we'll get a grass one in Smash? It seems like Jigglypuff is no where in sight. I'm hoping we get Sceptile.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I have no problem with her "alternate costume" (using quotes because shes basically in underwear) but I hope this means two things. 1. we can get Bayonetta because she basically naked all the time

I don't know why people keep mistaking Bayonetta as a first-party character simply because Nintendo is publishing the sequel; that's like saying Ryu Hyabusa is first-party because Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. She's still owned by SEGA, and Sonic has already took the spot as our SEGA rep.

Also, Since we have a fire and water pokemon is it safe to say we'll get a grass one in Smash? It seems like Jigglypuff is no where in sight. I'm hoping we get Sceptile.
I really doubt Sakurai was fully aware of ORAS's development; plus, it would be redundant to have two Dragon type Mega Evolutions in the roster, so don't count Jigglypuff out just yet.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
I don't know why people keep mistaking Bayonetta as a first-party character simply because Nintendo is publishing the sequel; that's like saying Ryu Hyabusa is first-party because Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. She's still owned by SEGA, and Sonic has already took the spot as our SEGA rep.

I really doubt Sakurai was fully aware of ORAS's development; plus, it would be redundant to have two Dragon type Mega Evolutions in the roster, so don't count Jigglypuff out just yet.

You do realize Snake wasnt first party exclusive, neither is Pacman, Megaman, Sonic, and Game & Watch. If you were featured on a Nintendo system you can get in. That's the pattern... There are no "reps" there are characters that people enjoy and are cult classics/iconic.

I also wouldn't doubt that Sakurai could have been given knowledge regarding ORAS. The game has been in development for quite sometime and information can be freely exchanged at well. So dont count out Sceptile.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
You do realize Snake wasnt first party exclusive, neither is Pacman, Megaman, Sonic, and Game & Watch. If you were featured on a Nintendo system you can get in. That's the pattern... There are no "reps" there are characters that people enjoy and are cult classics/iconic.
And Sakurai has set a new rule for third-party reps last year that they have to be a "big deal," as in iconic. Bayonetta's too recent to become an iconic third-party character, that's why we've got Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as guest fighters throughout the series since Brawl. Yes, there is such a thing as "reps" when it comes to third-parties. We can only have one character per third-party franchise; otherwise, the roster would be bombarded with Sonic reps instead of actual Nintendo characters, which is the main premise of the series.

I also wouldn't doubt that Sakurai could have been given knowledge regarding ORAS. The game has been in development for quite sometime and information can be freely exchanged at well. So dont count out Sceptile.
If that were true, then he would've acknowledged Hyrule Warriors' existence somewhere around 2012 or 2013 and would've included a Zelda rep there to promote it last week, which didn't happened due to Meta Knight's reveal last Wednesday.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
And Sakurai has set a new rule for third-party reps last year that they have to be a "big deal," as in iconic. Bayonetta's too recent to become an iconic third-party character, that's why we've got Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as guest fighters throughout the series since Brawl. Yes, there is such a thing as "reps" when it comes to third-parties. We can only have one character per third-party franchise; otherwise, the roster would be bombarded with Sonic reps instead of actual Nintendo characters, which is the main premise of the series.

If that were true, then he would've acknowledged Hyrule Warriors' existence somewhere around 2012 or 2013 and would've included a Zelda rep there to promote it last week, which didn't happened due to Meta Knight's reveal last Wednesday.

What you're saying makes no sense... Every character but 2 in Hyrule Warriors are old characters of the series. Sceptile isn't a new nintendo character BTW FYI, and neither were Ivysaur Charizard or Squirtle.

And no there are no "reps". He hasn't come out and said that those are the rules he goes by. At all. The new characters like the new Fire Emblem Characters aren't "iconic". There is no such thing as one character per party. There is no thinking along those lines. If so please provide proof because this sounds like a personal theory.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
What you're saying makes no sense... Every character but 2 in Hyrule Warriors are old characters of the series. Sceptile isn't a new nintendo character BTW FYI, and neither were Ivysaur Charizard or Squirtle.
What I meant is that if Sakurai would have known about ORAS during somewhere between 2012 and 2013, we would've gotten Sceptile revealed alongside of Greninja and Charizard in April's Smash Direct to fully reveal the only newcomers for Pokémon.

And no there are no "reps". He hasn't come out and said that those are the rules he goes by. At all. The new characters like the new Fire Emblem Characters aren't "iconic". There is no such thing as one character per party. There is no thinking along those lines. If so please provide proof because this sounds like a personal theory.
It's a theory that's agreed upon by many Smash Bros. speculators, because there is such a thing as oversaturation, and there are rules Sakurai has to make for a character to warrant a spot, or else this game would be more like M.U.G.E.N. than a game celebrating Nintendo's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back