• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Region Lock Sucks!!!

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    My dad bought pokemon y from uk and when i tried to play them, game could not be read!! then i found out my 3DS is north-american but i bought it from singapore. There aren't even stores to exchange the game with.

Thanks alot Nintendo, for region lock >:(

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
    Years
    My cousin recieved his 3ds with 4 games (The sims,Monster hunter,Pokemon rumble blast and Mario kart 7) but none of them worked :(

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    This is sad... Just remember, it's not your dad's fault, nor is it yours, blame Nintendo...

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Thats just sad

Why not refund?

Because the game was bought from The UK and I believe he currently resides in Singapore, which makes the refund process difficult.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    To me region lock is just as dumb as always online to play a game.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I was going to make some sarcastic joke about how region lock is good. But I can't think of one.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    There is just nothing good about region luck... for us.

For Nintendo and their affiliates, I'm sure they have much to gain.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    My dad bought pokemon y from uk and when i tried to play them, game could not be read!! then i found out my 3DS is north-american but i bought it from singapore. There aren't even stores to exchange the game with.

Thanks alot Nintendo, for region lock >:(

In terms of Nintendo, Signapore is the North-American Region, although Signapore sells Japanese and American games and Consoles, as far as I know.
    See my old Map for reference:
    Region Lock Sucks!!!

Note that South-Korea, China, and Taiwan + Hong Kong have their own Regions too, I didn't know that, back when I made it.

Sorry, but I know Region Locking sucks, and so many others agree.
    It's just Nintendo who doesn't want to end Region Locking.

Years
    There is just nothing good about region luck... for us.

You know that cons outweigh the pros (if any), even from a business perspective, if Microsoft out of all companies dropped region locking for their respective console.

As I said, it's indefensible. Person who invented the idea of region locking should die a slow, painful death.

Zet

Years
    Region lock is only useful for the publishers in x country. Persona 4 Arena is the only region locked game on the PS3, because Atlus Japan didn't want people in Japan importing the game from the US for a lot less than they would buy it in Japan.

As for Pokemon X and Y, I don't even understand the purpose of region lock it when you can choose from a million languages to choose from to play the game in.

Years
    That's one complaint I have about X and Y: is why is there a region lock when you can select from more than one language upon getting the game? I mean, how would Game Freak lose money in any way because of that? Is there an edit in international version compared to the Japanese versions?

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    This is one of many reasons Nintendo is behind. I know they aren't too interested on competing with MS and Sony anymore, but good lord they're only hurting themselves. If you want to play a Japan-only game, sucks to be you. Unless it'd throw the hardware into chaos, then I just don't see the point.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    If there wasn't region lock I'd try to import European games if possible. Multiple languages FTW.

Many fun times were had playing Japanese-only games on the SNES. I think the old consoles also had region lock, but pirate wizardry helped us enjoy games from all corners of the world.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Yeah, I'm still pretty mad about the 3DS's region locking. I was kind of hoping they'd secretly take the region lock off the Pokémon games like they did with the North American versions of Black and White (which were originally region locked on the DSi/XL) and that it would slowly open the floodgates for more games to do the same but... they didn't.

I can understand region locking the eShop and if that were all, I'd be okay with it, but I hate the fact that everything is region-locked. I would easily own about three times the number of games if my 3DS weren't so restricted. I have a Japanese one because playing imports is more important to me than playing localized games but I can't afford to import every game and some games I just prefer to play in English. If it worked like almost all of Nintendo's other handhelds, I'd be able to buy whatever games I wanted from wherever I wanted and it would work just fine. But that's not the case and it's really frustrating. It's especially annoying because I've yet to hear a good explanation for the region-lock—the only one I've really seen is "oh, we want to be able to restrict games based on their individual ratings in different regions". Aaand I'm sorry but that's a really dumb reason.

I also hate that I will probably eventually end up buying another 3DS in the North American region just so I CAN finally play all the games I want to. I don't want to give Nintendo money to support this practise but I likely will anyway because I have no other choice if I want to play these games and I have very little willpower when it comes to buying (or rather, not buying) games. :(

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    For the ones who want to know that, sure during Development we can make our games Region Free, but in the end, they have to be submitted to Nintendo, separately for each Region, and therefore, Region Free is not allowed.

Back