• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Replaying older games

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • How often do you tend to play the older generations, if at all? Do you find it still easy to enjoy them or have the features and upgrades introduced in newer generations make it harder to play old ones?

I started playing Pokémon with LeafGreen so I don't have nostalgia for anything before that. I don't really enjoy the first two gens much, though I do enjoy glitched runs in Red and Blue every few months. Even in the case of Gen III, I definitely enjoy it less than I did as a kid due to the lack of a couple great features from the newer generations.

Years
  • Before...certain things happened, I had no problems returning to older games, even after playing XY. I think I did like 16 or 17 playthroughs total in 2014, and 11 in 2015 (including Gen VI ones).

Although I'm still not fully back into the series yet, so it may be a little while before I try to play the previous generations again.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'll occasionally play older games if I suddenly get the urge to do so. I've found that more recently I've been doing challenges on some games to change up the formula a bit. Right now I'm playing through Platinum and I forgot just how good of a game it really is!

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I play old Pokemon games from Gen 3 and Gen 4 quite often since I find them more entertaining than the newer games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    The lack of compatibility of Generations I and II has put me off them now... I'm quite interested in seeing if I can come across a shiny or anything and I don't want to be locked out of transferring it forward.

Side note - ever since generation II determined gender by using the attack IV, I've been put off using female Pokemon in all following games! Anyone else?

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Post-story things yes, though I don't replay them. Just recently transferred my Pokemon from the 3rd gen games to 4th gen, and probably won't be using them much from now on. Got plenty of use out of the games for many years though. I still have spin-offs to get to eventually so I can't waste too much time once a game is 100% complete and all.
    No matter when the game was made, they each are just as enjoyable for me. I enjoy retro games anyway.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I replay older games pretty often, actually. It just depends on my mood. I replayed Red, Silver, Emerald, and LeafGreen all this year. Well, I didn't finish LeafGreen and I don't know if I will now that Sun/Moon is on the way. The plan was to play every main game leading up to Sun/Moon, but I took such a big break during Emerald that I wouldn't have been able to catch up. But I have been playing Y for the Halloween challenge and White 2 for one that I made.

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
  • To me it gets frustrated at times since you already beat it thousands times and know whats gonna happen. The fun is leveling up for ne really. But aside of that if i was to focus it all day I'll probably beat it in a day or two done it many times but once you done that it gets frustrated though still fun to play it once in a while now to me of course

Years
  • I usually tend to play through older games in the wait for a new Pokemon game release. It's a great way to pass the time and when deciding what to play, I tend to go back and replay the game/generation that I haven't played in the longest. I never really seem to get tired of the nostalgia that comes with the older games so it's always fun :)

(Next I think I'm gonna replay Emerald, really looking forward to that)

Years
  • I think I might pick up Pokémon Version White and Soul Silver and start over again. Other than repeat playthroughs, probably not.

Years
  • I play the older games a decent amount. I really want to hurry up and get this shiny Ho-Oh in Heartgold so that I can continue and go to Kanto again. I also like to play Gen 4 very much. The one I play most is Diamond. I really don't play the games prior to Gen 4 much though. I like them, but Gen 4 and up is where I usually stick at.

Guest123_x1

Whenever I find myself in the mood to do so, I happily play the Generation I entries on my 2DS, as I always enjoyed these games. Of course, you could call me a "Genwunner", but I know now that these games are a huge technical mess, and the more recent generations are fun in their own way.

There's nothing like reliving the memories of having so much fun with the first generation when I was relatively new to Pokémon myself (having gotten into it a little bit later than everybody else due to resisting it when it first hit the States).

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I love playing through the older games I just enjoy everything about them! Sometimes it's a bit of a slog to play through them but that's why I like to use the Challenges section of the forums to spice up my playthroughs! The Nuzlocke challenge in particular are great as they allow you to play through the games with new Pokémon that you wouldn't usually use and in a more challenging way! That all being said though sometimes I find it hard to justify playing them over ROM Hacks or the RPG Maker Games.​

Years
  • I just remembered that I was playing Pokemon Yellow when it came on the e-shop and I stuck with it for a while, but I dropped it/got bored of it...

I dunno. Maybe I'd be more interested if I picked it up again, but maybe the original games just aren't clicking for me at the moment?

Yeah I know what you mean Angie, I had to force myself to keep playing Yellow at times and since reaching Victory Road I've had my playthrough on hold for a few months now :/

Years
  • Well I play older games, Unofficial ones, I have not yet played. I have beaten a buntch of GBA hacks. Right now I am playing Pokemon Outlaw. Some are pretty R rated lol, kind of awesome!

Back