• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I've found a bug that's probably been present since...
## New Edit 22/2/2012 by Maruno.
# Credits now scroll properly when played with a zoom factor of 0.5. Music can
# now be defined. Credits can't be skipped during their first play.
If not before then.

It's a weird combination of two things. First, the credit speed needs to be below 1 - 0.5 is where it's most visible (I know the script says it needs to be set to at least 1, but bare with me for a moment). Second, the game has to be at a zoom size of anything except Medium/Normal.

What happens is, the game starts out with the credits at speed 1 for a few seconds, and then depending on what the speed is actually set to, it just. Does weird things. For example, setting it to 0.6 makes the credits move at a snail's pace. 0.5 makes them lock up, entirely.

Now, this probably has something to do with both factors I mentioned above. It's not just the scroll speed. I have used 0.5 for ages on a Medium-View game and it has worked perfectly. Speed 1 is too fast for my music, and all my credits end before the music fades out.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Sorry let me explain more in depth. So I've been working on mega evolutions in Pokemon Essentials and I have gotten them to work for the most part. However they don't revert after battle so of course I found your scripts to fix primal and mega reverting. These two as seen here.
Mega:
def makeUnmega
v = MultipleForms.call("getUnmegaForm",self)
if v!=nil; self.form = v
elsif isMega?; self.form = 0
end
end

Primal:

def makeUnprimal
v = MultipleForms.call("getUnprimalForm",self)
if v!=nil; self.form = v
elsif isPrimal?; self.form = 0
end

So I go to the scrip section Pokemon_MegaEvolution and replaced the below two methods with your provided codes. However when I put these codes in I get this syntax error.

Script 'Pokemon_MegaEvolution' line 1150: Syntax Error occured

Is there anyway I can fix this? Sorry I'm a noob with scripts but you can help.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry let me explain more in depth. So I've been working on mega evolutions in Pokemon Essentials and I have gotten them to work for the most part. However they don't revert after battle so of course I found your scripts to fix primal and mega reverting. These two as seen here.
Mega:
def makeUnmega
v = MultipleForms.call("getUnmegaForm",self)
if v!=nil; self.form = v
elsif isMega?; self.form = 0
end
end

Primal:

def makeUnprimal
if v!=nil; self.form = v
end

So I go to the scrip section Pokemon_MegaEvolution and replaced the below two methods with your provided codes. However when I put these codes in I get this syntax error.

Script 'Pokemon_MegaEvolution' line 1150: Syntax Error occured

Is there anyway I can fix this? Sorry I'm a noob with scripts but you can help.

You missed an end here:
Code:
def makeUnprimal
   if v!=nil; self.form = v
   end
[COLOR="Red"]end[/COLOR]
Also, code goes in
Code:
 tags, makes it easier to read. ;)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Thank you for the help, but even with the end added in I still get some sort of Syntax error.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I know the script says it needs to be set to at least 1, but
That's about all we need to know here. If you're not using code the way it's intended to be used, you can't be surprised when it doesn't work properly nor can you say it's a bug. It's a rounding issue caused by the screen resolution scripts, incidentally, but that was known about, which is why the credits say you shouldn't use such a slow scroll speed.

Thank you for the help, but even with the end added in I still get some sort of Syntax error.
When I said "show us what you've done", I didn't mean that you should repeat what you've already said. Take a screenshot of the code, or copy the entire script section into a pastebin or something.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
Then let's point out an actual bug, one I have discovered in both my own game, and an unmodified Essentials V16- purely unmodified, no adjustments to any of the scripts. I have yet to verify it's an issue with my machine, or if it's an issue with v16 as a whole, but nevertheless, it is present.

First, let's start with a gif.
flicker_bug.gif

Not sure what it is? Let's slow this down and take it frame by frame. I'm spoiler tagging the individual frames because it's quite a few large images.
Spoiler:

This should make it absolutely clear what the bug is, as each frame and its timestamp is visible. There is a 1 frame delay between certain screen transitions where the screen shows up, and the following frame instantly cuts to black, and then fades the screen in.
Yes, specific screens. It's not isolated to the Pokedex menu. It does this after reloading a save, too, as well as loading the Pokegear.
However, the Pokedex has some interesting quirks about it. For example, when you don't have two dexes to choose from, it opens fine. However, when you have two or more, upon selecting the Pokedex option from the pause menu, the screen doesn't fade to black. It instantly cuts to black without fadeout, and then it does the flicker bug as I mentioned here. Closing it also does the flicker bug as well.
flicker_bug_2.gif

And as this gif clearly shows, it's present in a copy of Vanilla Essentials v16. I have not touched this copy aside to give myself the national dex and test out an NPC's walking speed, period.

Maruno

Years
That's a known bug. The Pokégear screen, Jukebox screen and Pokédex's list of Regional Dexes screen are all coded differently, and part of this is that their transitions work differently too. The Pokédex entry pages are not coded in this different way, but they are a bit of a hack, and I'm not surprised they didn't work perfectly.

I have recoded all these screens from scratch for Essentials v17, and they all fade in and out (or not) properly now. I've been wanting to do this for ages.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Considering you know about it, I have to ask: have you considered making an up-to-date list of known bugs, or a bugs tracker or whatever they're called? The thread is over 40 pages long at this point, and you have to have your own private list of known bugs that need fixing somewhere.

There's a wikia page for known bugs, but it says on the page itself that it's depreciated, and to just use this thread. While that's easier than managing the list there, it's more work for the end user to make sure that they're not reporting an error that's already been reported, and it saves you time from having to point out that you know about it.

I know I have basically nothing to do with Essentials (let alone this community), so I dunno how highly you'll value my input, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Tao

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
There is an error with Effect Spore, when it goes to pbCanSleep?.
Paralyzing and poisoning works.

Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokeBattle_BattlerEffects:28:in `__clauses__pbCanSleep?'
PokeBattle_Clauses:100:in `pbCanSleep?'
PokeBattle_Battler:1303:in `pbEffectsOnDealingDamage'
PokeBattle_Battler:2788:in `pbProcessMoveAgainstTarget'
PokeBattle_Battler:2707:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battler:2707:in `pbProcessMoveAgainstTarget'
PokeBattle_Battler:3197:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3177:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battler:3200:in `pbUseMove'
PokeBattle_Battler:3396:in `pbProcessTurn'

Maruno

Years
Considering you know about it, I have to ask: have you considered making an up-to-date list of known bugs, or a bugs tracker or whatever they're called? The thread is over 40 pages long at this point, and you have to have your own private list of known bugs that need fixing somewhere.

There's a wikia page for known bugs, but it says on the page itself that it's depreciated, and to just use this thread. While that's easier than managing the list there, it's more work for the end user to make sure that they're not reporting an error that's already been reported, and it saves you time from having to point out that you know about it.

I know I have basically nothing to do with Essentials (let alone this community), so I dunno how highly you'll value my input, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.
I do have my own To Do documents. They're about 50 pages long in total, although less than half of that are bugs. I'd guess that most of the bugs I have written down haven't even been noticed by anyone else; they're just things I've thought about or noticed while coding that I haven't gotten around to fixing for one reason or another.

Actually, the wiki page for known bugs redirects to the wiki's own forum, not here. Each bug can have its own thread (if it's a big enough bug), and thread titles can indicate whether they have been resolved or not, which is nice. Even so, I certainly wouldn't want to be posting a whole lot of stuff in there.

One thing I've learned is that people don't read. They tend to be unable to follow instructions, and they don't do research. They'll repost questions and bug reports no matter what. I wouldn't make their lives any easier by providing a directory of known bugs; I'd only be wasting a lot of my time by preparing and maintaining such a list, and I'd rather spend that time fixing the bugs instead. Ultimately, I find that bug records are for my use only, so there's no great harm in my list of them being for my eyes only too.

I value any and all input. I receive precious little of it, so I'm not going to get far by dismissing what I do get. Thanks for commenting.

There is an error with Effect Spore, when it goes to pbCanSleep?.
Paralyzing and poisoning works.
That's not a bug in Essentials v16.2. It is therefore off-topic.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
I dunno, I feel like having a master list of known bugs would benefit everyone. You're always going to have people that won't read or follow instructions, that's not going to change. However I'd think that a master list is slightly different than having people download files and extract them to certain directories. Uploading the entire sheet to google docs and keeping it maintained through there would certainly be an idea. That's just what I think though, and it might not be the best solution!

A decent solution might just be to purge the thread each time a new version comes out, so that way you don't have to sift through 40 pages of old version bugs to find out if the bug you want to report is reported.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Okay so after compressing the game data for my game's demo, I encountered this error when running the game:

Spoiler:

So I've been working to try fixing it and decided to try compressing the data for Essentials and encountered the same error.

This is the line of code that seems to be causing the error:

Spoiler:

My question is, is this something that I've caused or does this situation reside in other people's version of essentials?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Okay so after compressing the game data for my game's demo, I encountered this error when running the game:

Spoiler:

So I've been working to try fixing it and decided to try compressing the data for Essentials and encountered the same error.

This is the line of code that seems to be causing the error:

Spoiler:

My question is, is this something that I've caused or does this situation reside in other people's version of essentials?

Upgrade

Maruno

Years
I'm using the newest version of essentials.
I'm going to go with "you're not". If you're still somehow convinced you ARE using Essentials v16.2, try fully compiling your game again and see if it works before you compress it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Hi, I searched through the forum, but didn't see the following problem mentioned.
I noticed a little bug with the "Screen Size" option. If you select "L", all tiles with the priority 1 and higher are offset 1 or 2 pixels up and left:

be88f9e7c2.png

be891462dd.png

I did some testing I found out, that this problem occured, then the resizefactor isn't a value of 0.5*2^x. I thinks thats because of the 2x2 tilebase. With that, the only factors for resizing the screen in pbSetResizeFactor that work fine ar 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 and so on.
This can also a problem with fullscreen, if you have different values for DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH and DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT.
I tested it with the old resolution of 480x320 for example, you get a resizefactor of 2.5, which also causes this little bug.
I tried to fix this problem, but sadly my programming skills aren't good enough to find source of the problem.

Years
Hi, I searched through the forum, but didn't see the following problem mentioned.
I noticed a little bug with the "Screen Size" option. If you select "L", all tiles with the priority 1 and higher are offset 1 or 2 pixels up and left:

be88f9e7c2.png

be891462dd.png

I did some testing I found out, that this problem occured, then the resizefactor isn't a value of 0.5*2^x. I thinks thats because of the 2x2 tilebase. With that, the only factors for resizing the screen in pbSetResizeFactor that work fine ar 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 and so on.
This can also a problem with fullscreen, if you have different values for DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH and DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT.
I tested it with the old resolution of 480x320 for example, you get a resizefactor of 2.5, which also causes this little bug.
I tried to fix this problem, but sadly my programming skills aren't good enough to find source of the problem.

If I remember correctly, this is a known bug, but it's low on the priority list for fixing since Maruno is more concerned with actually getting the game mechanics to work right. He's probably got a lot on his plate now that there's a new generation out.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
I have been commenting for a while that Shadow Pokemon don't function properly in clean V16.2 as regards resistances, weaknesses, and immunities. I think that I may have found the problem.

In Pokemon_ShadowPokemon around line 525, I found this bit of code:

Code:
if self.isShadow?
     [COLOR=Red] [B]if hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW)
        self.type1=getID(PBTypes,:SHADOW)
        self.type2=getID(PBTypes,:SHADOW)
      end[/B][/COLOR]
      self.pokemon.adjustHeart(-30) if @battle.pbOwnedByPlayer?(@index)
    end
  end
Deleting the red lines makes Shadow Pokemon have their proper type characteristics. With those lines present, the Shadow Electabuzz held by the Rocket Grunt had none of its normal resistances and took neutral damage from Ground moves, and the Shadow Weepinbell could be poisoned.

I tested this with a dozen species of Shadow Pokemon, and they all behaved correctly once those 4 lines had been removed.

Can someone else test this change to make certain that I've corrected the bug?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 30, 2024
My friend was helping me test the game I'm creating and we ran into an issue where a wild Plusle used Copycat, but my friend's Pokémon got paralysed the turn it used it and got stuck in an infinite loop of Copycats without stopping. Is this a known error? I checked the wikia for bugs but it didn't mention it.

Also, Happiny used Copycat and copied its own Sweet Kiss and then confused itself as his Pokémon was already confused.

Last edited:
Back