• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Republican 2012 Candidates

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I more or less stopped closely following the race after Cain dropped out. Of course, I'll probably tune back in around election time, but...

I actually liked Herman Cain's policies, though I admit that he stumbled more than Edgar Allen Poe on election day. His policies of "do it your damn self" were unpopular and openly ridiculed, but I actually support people making their own way through life. :/

Still. It's a shame that he dropped out, and it's a shame that the media had their Kill Sats trained on him.

But meh.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    NOBODY got where they were today by themselves. ALMOST EVERYONE has received aid from the government in one way or another. "Do it your damn self" is just a way for rich people which enjoy luxurious tax breaks to blame poor people who are unable to get out of their situation for their problems.

And he possibly sexually assaulted a few individuals and you expect the media to turn a blind eye? At the same time, his actions promoted rape culture where the woman is either a liar or "she was asking for it". It's the same crap with Ron Paul's racist newspapers. If you promote hatred or break the law, don't think that people are going to look it over. The people deserve to know those faults if these people are seeking a candidacy. Because having our country being run by a racist or a rapist, both of whom refuse to take any amount of responsibility for their actions, is certainly not a country that would be viewed in a positive light.

Hyrule

Knight
    Years
    • Uh
    • Seen Jun 10, 2012
    I more or less stopped closely following the race after Cain dropped out. Of course, I'll probably tune back in around election time, but...

I actually liked Herman Cain's policies, though I admit that he stumbled more than Edgar Allen Poe on election day. His policies of "do it your damn self" were unpopular and openly ridiculed, but I actually support people making their own way through life. :/

Still. It's a shame that he dropped out, and it's a shame that the media had their Kill Sats trained on him.

But meh.

His policies were unpopular and openly ridiculed because that particular policy of "do it your damn self" is inappropriate, ignorant, selfish, and downright wrong. It's why he's no longer in the race - he was an ignorant, sensationalist side show who knew more about Pokemon than he he did foreign policy. Disgraceful.

Years
    So trying to succeed on your own is inappropriate, ignorant, selfish, and downright wrong?

Nope. But making a broad sweeping generalization about the subject, something Cain knows nothing about, is the problem. Not everyone can just will themselves to success, or out of poverty or the Ghetto, especially when you have politicians like Cain who make policies that keep them there. Single mother of 4 can't send all of them to college on 2 jobs, and provide for them like a good parent should. Hard work doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed. Plenty of citizens in this country work their asses off to get by and have nothing to show for it, for reasons outside their control. That's the problem with people like Cain.

Regardless of his statements on that topic, the alleged sexual assault also doomed him. And Rightfully so.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013

Nope. But making a broad sweeping generalization about the subject, something Cain knows nothing about, is the problem. Not everyone can just will themselves to success, or out of poverty or the Ghetto, especially when you have politicians like Cain who make policies that keep them there. Single mother of 4 can't send all of them to college on 2 jobs, and provide for them like a good parent should. Hard work doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed. Plenty of citizens in this country work their asses off to get by and have nothing to show for it, for reasons outside their control. That's the problem with people like Cain.

When you restrict access to legal abortions and promote abstinence only sex education, women feel that they have no choice but to carry through with their sometimes unwanted children. When you effectively stifle and reject government funded job creation under the pretense that government has no right interfering in business, unemployment rises and jobs continue to be non-existent. When you value people who've already reached success on the backs of others more than the average worker; when people who play mass guessing games with money are more valued than those who work hard every single day, that's when the middle class starts to shrink and daily life for the everyman becomes harder and harder.

Nobody should spout that bootstraps bullcrap unless they feel that if they lost everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that they could reach an ideal standard of living WITH ABSOLUTELY NO assistance from others and do it their damn selves.

CapricornPsyche

Psychic Trainer of Capricorn
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    Just gonna say this here, some of you might hate me for it, but I don't care, it's my opinion.

I HATE Republicans AND Democrats... things have gotten polarized wayyy too much in this country... we need someone that's truely balanced, one that's not affiliated to any of those two idiot parties.

I'm voting for Obama, but my heart's not gonna support it, what we really need is an independent... sorry, but that's my opinion in a nutshell.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    What we need to do is disband the party system altogether. Let people run as themselves, not Republican, Democrat, *Insert political party name here*

Years
    What we need to do is disband the party system altogether. Let people run as themselves, not Republican, Democrat, *Insert political party name here*

Sadly the result of that is very muddled policies and a Congress that cannot pass anything as each successive government rises and falls at the whims of a minority.

Or it would still result in "Unlabeled coalitions" as per the Early republic which in the end solidify into a party system in all but name.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    In most South American countries, parties (well, more like "political platforms") are created only to support one person, and then they disappear in the following election. In a great number of them, getting to the second round in an election, even if you lose it, guarantees you winning the following one, or as soon as the President leaves and their party disappears. That means everything but political stability. Specially when you got first-past-the-post Congress and Senate elections, which results in elected members having nothing to do with each other on a first glance.

A healthy and stable political system requires parties or at least broad groups which create a general political frame all their members can agree with, even if there are disagreements in particular topics. The US doesn't need killing all their parties, but instead creating new ones to compete against the current oligarchist, bi-partisan, two-sizes-fits-all system. New parties focusing in different aspects that can allow different compromises in both the Senate and the Congress. By trying to appeal to everybody, they basically cannot appeal to anybody in particular, and this is what is creating a "both are the same" vibe.

CapricornPsyche

Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    In most South American countries, parties (well, more like "political platforms") are created only to support one person, and then they disappear in the following election. In a great number of them, getting to the second round in an election, even if you lose it, guarantees you winning the following one, or as soon as the President leaves and their party disappears. That means everything but political stability. Specially when you got first-past-the-post Congress and Senate elections, which results in elected members having nothing to do with each other on a first glance.

A healthy and stable political system requires parties or at least broad groups which create a general political frame all their members can agree with, even if there are disagreements in particular topics. The US doesn't need killing all their parties, but instead creating new ones to compete against the current oligarchist, bi-partisan, two-sizes-fits-all system. New parties focusing in different aspects that can allow different compromises in both the Senate and the Congress. By trying to appeal to everybody, they basically cannot appeal to anybody in particular, and this is what is creating a "both are the same" vibe.

Yes, we need a strong third party that isn't shut down by the media saying "BUT CONFLICT MAKES MORE MONEY AND RATINGS"this is my theory of why we don't have a third party, the news media believes that conflict and fighting = High ratings and more people watching. ><;;; yes it'll definitely have more people watching the news, but will it HELP THE COUNTRY? No, it will most certainly not.

Years
    Ginrich wins South Carolina Primary

Republican 2012 Candidates

Early results show that Newt Gingrich has convincingly beaten Mitt Romney in South Carolina's primary, the latest leg of the battle for the Republican candidacy in the US presidential poll.

With 70% of the vote counted, Mr Gingrich had 40% to Mr Romney's 26%.Mr Romney was widely seen as the frontrunner, but the latest outcome is set to turn the race into a long, hard-fought campaign, correspondents say.

The South Carolina victor has won the nomination in each election since 1980.Other Republican hopefuls, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum and Texas representative Ron Paul are trailing badly, with 18% and 13% respectively.

In the words of Mitt Romney, this Primary Election season has gotten "Interesting"

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Looking at all of these candidates, I can safely say I'd never vote for any of them. I lean casually to the left for the most part, but these people are just making fools of themselves and pushing me further away from their side - especially the likes of Bachmann and Perry (thank goodness they're both out, iirc). The only one I could possibly deal with as president is Romney, but I'd still infinitely prefer Obama. I've been looking around at the problems people have with him, and most of them seem to stem from 'He's black'. :/

Years
    Hyrule said:
    [He] knew more about Pokemon than he he did foreign policy. Disgraceful.

If I could vote I would have voted for him (if I were a Republican) solely because of that. All of the Republican candidates seem to be vying for a World Aristocracy controlled by American Aristocracy.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    The more parties the better, I say. Even if you rarely end up with a landslide victory, so be it.

In Canada, we used to have two conservative parties at the Federal level. The Progressive Conservatives (which I consider myself to be) and the Reform Party (more like the Republicans, but slightly more... normal, I hope). They merged quite a few years ago and slowly but surely the Reformers seem to be taking over the party.

In the end, what it results in is my political views non being adequately represented.

Since the now Conservative party won a majority last time around there have been rumblings that two of the opposition parties (one center-left and one left-wing) might merge in order to take them down. So that the vote isn't split. I see that as a temporary "solution" that, if they do merge, they will very quickly regret.

We'll end up as black VS white with no graduations in-between just like in the United States, and we'll be worse off for it. I hate that the center-right and right-wing parties merged. And I'm sure supporters of the opposition would hate if their voices won't be heard either. It will just be noise and rhetoric.

I'm for more options and better representation.

CapricornPsyche

Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012

The more parties the better, I say. Even if you rarely end up with a landslide victory, so be it.

In Canada, we used to have two conservative parties at the Federal level. The Progressive Conservatives (which I consider myself to be) and the Reform Party (more like the Republicans, but slightly more... normal, I hope). They merged quite a few years ago and slowly but surely the Reformers seem to be taking over the party.

In the end, what it results in is my political views non being adequately represented.

Since the now Conservative party won a majority last time around there have been rumblings that two of the opposition parties (one center-left and one left-wing) might merge in order to take them down. So that the vote isn't split. I see that as a temporary "solution" that, if they do merge, they will very quickly regret.

We'll end up as black VS white with no graduations in-between just like in the United States, and we'll be worse off for it. I hate that the center-right and right-wing parties merged. And I'm sure supporters of the opposition would hate if their voices won't be heard either. It will just be noise and rhetoric.

I'm for more options and better representation.

I approve of this post <3

jolly good show, sir!

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2012
    Congress can repeal legislation even if it has been ruled constitutional, and they can amend the Constitution to nullify a ruling or have it re-argued in Court years later.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    TAMPA, Fla. -- Florida was, at one time, the state that could sew up the Republican presidential nomination for Mitt Romney and end the primary.

Not anymore. But Romney's overwhelming win here Tuesday night was a big moment for the former Massachusetts governor that fully restored him to frontrunner status, and dealt a major blow to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Romney won convincingly, with 46.6 percent to Gingrich's 31.8 percent, with 94.8 percent of the vote counted. Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) trailed behind, with 13.3 and 7.0 percent, respectively.

Romney began his victory speech by addressing head on the growing concerns in the GOP about the nastiness of the primary fight between he and Gingrich, noting that Democrats have watched the brawl and "comfort themselves with the thought that a competitive primary will leave us divided and weak."

"I've got news for them. A competitive primary does not divide us, it prepares us. And we will win," Romney said to a cheering crowd.

But Romney saved much of his most aggressive rhetoric for President Barack Obama, a clear sign that he has watched and learned the way that Republican voters respond to Gingrich's willingness to speak bluntly and forcefully about the incumbent president. Romney's speech was a succession of swipes at Obama.

"In the State of the Union address, the president actually said these words. He says, 'Let's remember how we got here,'" Romney said, referring to the nation's prolonged economic slump. "Don't worry Mr. President. We remember exactly how we got here. You won the election."

"Leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses. Mr. President, you were elected to lead. You chose to follow. And now it's time for you to get out of the way," he said.

Romney said Obama's idea of a free economy, "is to send your money to his friends." Under his presidency, Romney said he would help "build an America where hope is a new job with a paycheck, not a faded word on an old bumper sticker."

"I stand ready to lead this party and to lead our nation," Romney said. "My leadership will end the Obama era and begin a new era of American prosperity."

It was by far one of Romney's strongest speeches of the campaign, and the crowd's wildly enthusiastic response validated that.

Earlier the packed ballroom here in Tampa at Romney's victory party cheered wildly when the race was called for Romney seconds after all the polls closed, while in Orlando, the results were piped in to a mostly empty ballroom holding Gingrich's election night rally.

Romney's win in Florida put him in solid position to ultimately claim the GOP nomination. At points throughout the past year, many political observers thought that the race would be over if Romney won here.

But the race will go forward at full speed, largely because Gingrich has dug in his heels and angrily denounced those who say his candidacy is over after a Florida loss. That chorus was joined Tuesday by Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).

Defiantly, Gingrich said this week he'll fight tooth and nail, "state by state," all the way to August and the Republican convention, which, by the way, will be right back here in this city.

There are a few reasons why Gingrich could actually deliver on his threat.

Gingrich has been left for dead twice already in this primary, first when his campaign imploded last June and then again in early January, when his lead in the polls plummeted into the abyss. He has the guts, the brains, the anger, and -- for now -- the money to carry him along for some time. And there is still resistance to Romney from a significant portion of the Republican Party, particularly at its grassroots.

A total of 39 percent of GOP voters told CBS News in exit polls that they were not satisfied with their choices of candidates.

Lastly, more states are awarding delegates proportionally in Republican primaries than ever before, and the political universe -- thanks to the epic 2008 Democratic primary contest between Obama and Hilary Clinton -- is more aware than any time in recent history of why delegate counts are important. A candidate needs 1,144 delegates to secure the nomination. With his victory in Florida, Romney won 50 delegates and is up to 86 in all, ahead of Gingrich's 25, Santorum's 14, and Paul's 4.

The big question mark for Gingrich is how long he can run his campaign if he loses steam and donors, and if the biggest donor of all -- Las Vegas casino magnate Sheldon Adelson -- decides to stop depositing $5 million checks in the bank account of the super PAC supporting Gingrich.

It was a big win for Romney, and it halted the wave of momentum behind Gingrich as he entered Florida just over a week ago, after winning South Carolina. But it was also absolutely mandatory for Romney to keep doubts about his candidacy at bay. And it didn't drive a stake through Gingrich's heart.

There is an air of uncertainty now about what lies ahead. Gingrich faces a full month before there are any more contests that favor him. It's not yet clear how the various campaigns will handle the odd pause in action between a quick burst of smaller state contests in early February and the Arizona and Michigan primaries on Feb. 28.

It's a nearly three-week gap where no votes will be cast. The Gingrich camp, sources said, will campaign in states where they are weak during the February lull, leaving Super Tuesday states that are advantageous to Gingrich -- Georgia, Tennessee and Oklahoma -- well enough alone. There are eight other states that will vote or caucus on March 6: Alaska, Idaho, Massachusetts, North Dakota, Ohio, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

Gingrich will seek to build strength in those places. In Virginia, he can't because he's not on the ballot and is ineligible for the state's 49 delegates, a result of the way he has run a small and unorganized campaign. In places like Massachusetts, he probably won't spend any time, since that is the area where Romney is from.

The Romney campaign will likely have plenty of ammunition to use against Gingrich, simply because Romney will have won Florida and is expected to perform very well in Nevada on Saturday and in the early February caucus states.

A senior Romney adviser told The Huffington Post they expect the dead period to "freeze in place" the state of the race, and that Romney will focus on fundraising to boost up the campaign coffers, as well as deliver a policy speech or two. This state of affairs could end up putting even more pressure on Gingrich to try to produce some kind of breakout moment, to jump start his campaign (again).

"Newt's going to have to figure out how to go after Mitt without turning people off," said Al Cardenas, the chairman of the American Conservative Union, who attended Romney's rally but has not endorsed him. "That's not an easy assignment, given the fact that there won't be a lot of opportunities and the opportunities that may exist, he's not going to do that well. So he's gotta figure out, 'How do I survive February in order to be competitive in March?'"

Romney's win on Tuesday capped a week of "gutter politics," as Santorum put it, with Romney and Gingrich trading blows that seemed only to grow more vicious and personal by the day. It marked a new chapter for Romney, who showed a willingness to throw verbal punches on the trail that he had up until now allowed his campaign to deliver for him.

And the Romney campaign's concerted attacks on Gingrich following his huge win in South Carolina on Jan. 22 drove Gingrich to distraction and to angry, scattershot counter attacks that risked making him look desperate. Romney described him on Monday as "flailing."

Former Sen. Jim Talent (R-Mo.), one of Romney's top backers and an informal part of his campaign, defended the Romney campaign's broadsides at Gingrich.

"Everything we've raised are aspects of the speaker's professional and public record. This is what campaigns are about. You contrast on the record," Talent told HuffPost. "We've avoided the personal stuff. We really have. I don't know what Newt thinks or [is] saying but I think we've been very fair."

The two candidates will be under pressure from those in their party who have been distressed by the nasty tone of the race to get back to discussing substance and policy, and to restore some measure of civility as the race moves forward. Santorum himself worked this theme into a speech on Monday, and could begin scoring political points if Gingrich and Romney continue their food fight.

Santorum and Paul skipped Florida on Tuesday and held election night parties in Nevada, where the candidates will compete for that state's 28 delegates when Republicans caucus on Saturday.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/fl-primary-results-2012_n_1244922.html?ref=politics

Back