• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reputation announcement feedback.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You know, the funny thing about this is, why don't people complain about getting too much positive rep (even when it isn't justified). I know, people want positive rep, as opposed to negative rep, but they both can go the same way, in terms of being used not for their original purpose.

Now that rep is gone though, I wonder if people will "man up" (okay sorry for those use of words :P) and PM/VM the person, as to why their post was a good or bad addition to the forum.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    "Repuation Deleted!"

You missed a spot. ;]

bluecat

just another day
    Years
  • I haven't been here at this forum for long, but I agree with this decision!

Reputation/Karma/Points/Etc on forums is a great idea but sadly is always abused in the end. :|

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    As in the one where I say they missed editing it to fit the new 'comments' system?

If so.. That they'd missed something? 0.o

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • A better system would have been to keep the reputation system in place, not worry about it, and if someone complains, they get banned or temp banned. Honestly, people shouldn't complain about such a thing in the first place.

Another way it could have been done, is instead of being able to take away reputation, you just EARN reputation. For example, if someone likes my post, they just give + rep. If they don't like the post, they just don't do anything and it stays at a moot point. That way, active members and members the community are fond of, can actually get what the system literally entails, "Reputation." Everyone else would have to earn reputation simply just by doing what they normally do in the community. If they keep doing something right constantly, or their posts are well thought out, then they would receive more rep, as they should. These people aren't going to complain about GETTING rep. In addition, someone who can't have reputation TAKEN AWAY can't get mad and moan and complain at their current reputation level. If their reputation level isn't going up, it would be because they aren't making interesting posts, or nobody actually cares about giving rep in that particular instance.

It seems like the fact that other users could "tarnish" another's rep was the root cause of your reputation system failure. If you had a system in place in which you just simply keep stacking up rep as you contribute something good, then there wouldn't be any problems. People would only have one thing to complain about, that they aren't GAINING rep... And that in itself is a silly thing to complain about, but the answer is obvious and self-serving, as if you're not gaining any reputation, then you're not making good posts, and you should try harder in the future. There shouldn't be a reason someone should PM Admins, Mods, etc for them not gaining any rep. In essence, it would be one's own fault.

I would think that, combined with a strict "don't pm us about rep" rule, would be able to keep the reputation system in place, and evolve it into something better.

But hey, that's just my two cents.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • I'll be honest...I'm going to miss my 10 PM's a month, 15 IM's per month about rep. *Tear in eye* Na. Can't say I'm going to miss it. Good move that it finally happened.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I'll be honest...I'm going to miss my 10 PM's a month, 15 IM's per month about rep. *Tear in eye* Na. Can't say I'm going to miss it. Good move that it finally happened.

What are you going to do with all the free time now? :P

I'd suggest inventing a new ice cream flavour, but that might only be because I am hungry for ice cream.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Haha, and still we get these absurdities.

The silly tit didn't see that I'd previously posted.

While I am not exactly trying to single you out, you do provide a perfect example of what is still leaving me to worry about this change:

I was under the impression that the main problem with the "old" reputation system was that a majority of users could not take negative criticism and felt the need to constantly report such as abuse. ...How exactly does this change solve that problem, again? What is keeping those same people from complaining over bruised egos, regardless?

Years
  • I'm glad the Mods stepped up and did something to quell the whole Rep controversy. I had a feeling that rep would go out the window once some people started to abuse it. Seems like the people who complained about negative rep are the one who can't handle it.

I hope the whole Rep thing never comes back here.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • The change seems fair. It's never really been about the green blocks for me.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I liked the rep system... And the idea of simply just adding rep rather than subtract it, seems like a good plan. Of course, it won't happen now...

Ah well, I'll get used to it. After all, it was just a nice little feature of many in the PC forums. I just took it for granted.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    OMG, thank god that something was done.

I hope that rep is something never mentioned again.

Back