• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex31

Pro D<
Years
  • Well, considering I spend sooo much of my time looking at hack's, maps and attempting to understand scripting, when a good friend of mine started talking about Rom Hacking, I helped with maps.
    Now I'm fairly good at mapping, the thing I cannot do is scripting, I can't understand how they work, how you input them into the game, and so forth.
    I understand you're really busy here, so don't feel in any hurry, i'm happy with anyone, and I won't take up much time, i'm a really quick learner.
    <;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Alex, preferably, but I have several nicknames.
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Just call me Alex ^^
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): [email protected] is my Msn, I also have Skype, AIM and a Yahoo if it's needed.
    What you are interested in learning: Simple Scripting.
    Timezone:GMT+1
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Weekday's, I can do anytime from 9am-10pm normally, but it's best to check first, weekends I can do whenever until 11PM.
    Interests: I've enjoyed Pokemon since when I was 6, I play a lot of RPG games; I like to watch anime, notably The Melancholy of Haruhi; and writing. I also do a fair amount of computer graphics.
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): Nope, anyone is good.

ZakZ

Banned
    Years
  • now

ok so I have now been here for a week so...
    Username/Internet Alias:ZakZ
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Zak
    Means of contact: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Advanced Scripting/over world scripting
    Timezone:Central
    What times you can be tutored:If possible I have very limited computer access so if i could be tutored by e-mail
    Interests: Pokémon,games,programs,hacking
    Looking for a specific Tutor?Any will be fine

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    <;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias:cjs177
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:cjs
    Means of contact MSN:[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:Simple Mapping,Simple Scripting,Spriting (OW), and Spriting (Other) (I'm willing to learn each one from different tutors one at a time)
    Timezone: Pacific
    What times you can be tutored:I'm free anytime
    Interests: Anime video games and anything pokmon related

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • ooOOoo... a great place to learn!

lets get to it...

STUDENT:
    Username/Internet Alias:Archon (changing it to Aljam66 in august)
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Allen or Aljam
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: simple scripting
    Timezone:Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Evening: around 7pm-1am
    Interests: Rom Hacking, guitar, WoW, and video games
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): No one in particular

TUTOR:
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): [email protected]
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Mapping (Both(If Possible)), Spriting (OW)
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three): (See Attachment)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time):Evening: around 7pm-1am
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends):Rom Hacking, guitar, WoW, and video games
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):No
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine):2

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Wow! This going great Atlus
    now it's time for my form

STUDENT
    Username/Internet Alias:Dragon/Pokemon Freak
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Pokemon Freak or Peter
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good):[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:Scripting and Scripting(Advanced) maybe later
    Timezone:GMT +10=Australian Eastern Standard Time
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: On Weekays,6:30 - 8:30
    Interests:Pokemon,Paint
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):No

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    lalalalallama

..no of course I have not been avoiding this what are you talking about

Username/Internet Alias:Fan King
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: just call me Fan King
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): [email protected]
    What you are interested in Tutoring for:Script, simple and maybe advanced mapping if I can get in it
    Proof of Work:
    Here are three scripts that work together to make a puzzle
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

here is an event for a hack I do on my own when I'm bored

Spoiler:

and a level script

Spoiler:

and I'll post some maps once I figure out how to get the .map file on photobucket

Timezone: PST
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): preferably in the evening,4Pm on t 7:00 but I can't do it every day
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): well pokemon zelda, soccer,running cycling and girls XD
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm): no, taught myself
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): and can do a couple but three or four is pushing it

You've been accepted by the majority of the current scripting tutors, as both Simple and Advancing Mapping, okey? xD

To put a map online, I think there's a function in the Tools menu of AdvanceMap that allows you to save your map as an image file, so you can use that to upload to PhotoBucket. :3

Ah just a note, I've changed my form a little. I'm now intrested in learning Spriting (Other). Is that okay?

It's fine. I hadn't updated the posts, anyways.

Was I accepted? because you didn't tell me :(

I'm not going to tell everyone whether they were accepted or not, as that would just clutter up the thread. Actually, I take that back; I will tell you if you were unaccepted. Basically, if I don't mention you, you can assume you were accepted. Of course, that's not to say you'll get a Tutor right away.. :/

ok so I have now been here for a week so...
    Username/Internet Alias:ZakZ
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Zak
    What you are interested in learning: Advanced Scripting/over world scripting
    Timezone:Central
    What times you can be tutored:If possible I have very limited computer access so if i could be tutored by e-mail
    Interests: Pokémon,games,programs,hacking
    Looking for a specific Tutor?Any will be fine

Maybe I should have put that in the first post, but.. look below.

Also, I've been thinking over what HackMew said. From this point on, all Students must be at PC for at least a month, and Tutors must have been at PC for three months (or show exceptional skill at that subject). This, I think, will reduce high student numbers and random people that may never actually make a hack and therefore waste the Tutor's valuable time. All people before this announcement are alright; I've already accepted them. ;3

I did say this before you put that up, so I apologize, but I cannot accept.

ooOOoo... a great place to learn!

lets get to it...

TUTOR:
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Mapping (Both(If Possible)), Spriting (OW)
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three): (See Attachment)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time):Evening: around 7pm-1am
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends):Rom Hacking, guitar, WoW, and video games
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):No
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine):2

Let me look over your maps and I'll get back to you, 'kay? I don't have the time to take a look now, but I'll do it later. ^^

Wow! This going great Atlus
    now it's time for my form

Uhh, thanks? ^^

--
    NOTE: ALL STUDENTS FROM THIS POINT ON MUST HAVE BEEN AT PC FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. NEW TUTORS MUST HAVE BEEN AT PC FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS, OR SHOW EXCEPTIONAL SKILL AT THEIR SUBJECT.

Hoping that will get everyone to notice. I'll put that in the first post, as well.

If anyone feels I have missed them, please inform me via VM with a link to the post I missed. I'm now going to be updating the Tutor/Student Listings. ;3

updating

cjs177 said:
    <;STUDENT FORM;>
    What you are interested in learning:Simple Mapping,Simple Scripting,Spriting (OW), and Spriting (Other) (I'm willing to learn each one from different tutors one at a time)

Please keep your "want to be tutored" section down to two, thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2014
    <;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: huntley93
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: jono
    Means of contact [email protected] (email0
    What you are interested in learning: basic scripting
    Timezone: live in scotland
    What times you can be tutored on computer at random times so check emails reguarly
    Interests: gaming, rugby. tennis, cricket, harry potter

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    I fixed it

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    What you are interested in learning:Spriting (OW) and Spriting (Other) (I'm willing to learn each one from different tutors one at a time)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Tutor form
    Username/Internet Alias: Charon the Ferryman
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Rachel, but most still call me Charon
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): MSN: [email protected], Skype: Charontheferryman1. Please do not just randomly friend me without me knowing who you are - I may remove you from my contacts by accident.
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Music hacking (actually using a method called the ELF method, which does not involve compiling with .s files or Sappy 2005-2006). I will teach the hex editing involved in the music data. I will also teach voicegroup editing and even adding new WAVs.
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):The following three videos are more or less samples of my musical work (several songs of which are original):
    Test Battle 1
    Test Battle 2
    Test Battle 3
    This is a video involving hacking Golden Sun, showing that my knowledge is game independent
    This video is a video of one of my previous students from another forum's result using my method of hacking music.
    Timezone: EST (7:00)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM, except during weekends. NOTE: DISCONNECTS OFTEN. If I disconnect, I will try as hard as I can to get back online.
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): I get along with people albeit differences in interests, however, I have interests in music, animals, drawing, RPGs and most other aspects of hacking.
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): 1

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Put me on line for Basic Scripting, Advancing Mapping and Other Aspects, please.
    Thank you, good sir. You clearly read the first post.
    No but seriously, with a post like that, you're definitely not going to be accepted, so I'd advise you to actually read the front post, and edit your post accordingly.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Tutor form
    Username/Internet Alias: Charon the Ferryman
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Rachel, but most still call me Charon
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): MSN: [email protected], Skype: Charontheferryman1. Please do not just randomly friend me without me knowing who you are - I may remove you from my contacts by accident.
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Music hacking (actually using a method called the ELF method, which does not involve compiling with .s files or Sappy 2005-2006). I will teach the hex editing involved in the music data. I will also teach voicegroup editing and even adding new WAVs.
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):The following three videos are more or less samples of my musical work (several songs of which are original):
    Test Battle 1
    Test Battle 2
    Test Battle 3
    This is a video involving hacking Golden Sun, showing that my knowledge is game independent
    This video is a video of one of my previous students from another forum's result using my method of hacking music.
    Timezone: EST (7:00)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM, except during weekends. NOTE: DISCONNECTS OFTEN. If I disconnect, I will try as hard as I can to get back online.
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): I get along with people albeit differences in interests, however, I have interests in music, animals, drawing, RPGs and most other aspects of hacking.
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): 1

Well, I can't be a judge here, since my speakers on my laptop like totally broke on me. They won't play anything, so now I have to go buy new ones. :x

Anyways, I've had a couple of people look at your videos, and they are "really good" and "epic", so I guess you're definitely in. ;3

Put me on line for Basic Scripting, Advancing Mapping and Other Aspects, please.

Read the first post, please. Also, please limit your categories to two, kthx. :/

updating tutor listings

Done. Also updated the Student/Tutor forms; made them prettier.

Edit: Oh, and because I am a fruitcake, I joined as a tutor for Simple/Advancing Mapping, and Simple Scripting. :D

Last edited:

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Username/Internet Alias:yuuichi
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:yuuichi
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good)[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning (you may only choose TWO AT MAX):advance scripting,spriting(other)
    Timezone:utc - 4
    What times you can be tutored all days: 5:00-9:00
    Interests:drawing,rom hacking,kendo(well hitting stuff with a wooden stick until i actually learn kendo),anime
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):the best one you can find

Last edited:

Chileno4Live

«Step into the light with me.»
    Years
  • <;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Chileno4Live
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Chileno4Live
    What you are interested in learning: Advanced scripting and Advanced mapping.
    Timezone: GMT+1
    What times you can be tutored: From 1 PM until 2 AM my time.
    Interests: Anime, Gaming; Pokemon and Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: Well, a dutch tutor would be nice, because i'm also dutch. If this isn't possible, someone from almost the same timezone as me should do it. If thats not possible aswell, then i'm an unlucky D=<

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    I have a question although the answer might me obvious.
    Do we now sit back and wait for you to find us a tutor or do we do it ourselves? No rush, just frustrated because of a stupid script >:(

I think, this is what me and Alice. have done, the tutors approach you, but that could have been us just rushing things. I'd say that you wait to be approached, or told by Atlus.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I have a question although the answer might me obvious.
    Do we now sit back and wait for you to find us a tutor or do we do it ourselves? No rush, just frustrated because of a stupid script >:(

I think, this is what me and Alice. have done, the tutors approach you, but that could have been us just rushing things. I'd say that you wait to be approached, or told by Atlus.

That's the thing I'm having the most troubles with right now; how to match them up? Really, just getting a student and Tutor that pair for the same subject is all that I really need to do, but there's a little more to it to that. Look at it from this point of view:

If I rapidly send PMs to all of the Tutors whenever a new Student signs up, it will be.. annoying, mostly. Not only is it boring to type all of that, but to have an alert whenever someone new joins up will sort of get repetitive, and eventually it will be ignored. Not to mention, what if I sent a PM to everyone about one guy, but three or four of the tutors accepted him/her? What do I do then? Should I just pick one randomly?

But, say I take it slow, and send them a PM maybe once a week, of all of the Students in each category that they are tutoring; it's got the same problems, just a little bit less extreme. If one student looks like he'd perform well in the class, and every single tutor picks him, what should I say? Is it just going to be the tutor that responded first that gets 'em? Then it might turn into a sort of competition, where if you want someone, you gotta reply fast. But that also leaves the unwanted people out of the deal; I mean, sorry, but there are various people that will probably sign up, and just look like they're not going to end up anywhere, so no one's going to want to pick them. Then they're going to be on that third post there forever, which is not what I'm aiming for.

What are my other options? Should I introduce a sort of line scheme? Like, say, for example, someone wants to get in for Simple Scripting. Currently, we have 5 tutors on that subject (Alice., Samike360, Surf, Fan King, and myself). Samike360 is unavailable, and Surf is definitely full, and Alice. already has one student currently, so he's lower on the chart. So, that leaves Fan King and myself. Fan King has been a tutor for longer, so he'd (or she? sorry, but I can't remember right now. :x) be on-deck first. Should I just give him an option of the first three in line (remember, the listings of students are all placed in the order they posted; the first ones should be accepted before the later ones), and he takes his pick, and then I'd take mine, and possibly Alice. takes his? I don't know.

But Banjora Marxvile brought up an interesting point; what if the Tutors just approached a student they wanted, without me really setting anything up? Well, okay, that could work. But, again, discrimination here; people are bound to be left out. And, some of the lazier Tutors (like myself :x) could just sit around and not pick a student for a while, if they wanted. Perhaps I should make a rule that says a Tutor must have a Student every so often before getting booted off of the Tutor listings? Again, I'm not sure.

So, as you all can see, this is really just the problem right now: how to hook the Tutors and Students up efficiently? If anyone has any good ideas or input on these suggestions, I'm open.

Doom Chaos

I don't have a title
    Years
  • I really shouldn't go to the script thread that much, I'm gonna need a tutor, so that way I won't always have problems... I should have looked in this thread earlier.

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias:
    Doom Chaos
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Charles
    Means of contact MSN: Private Message me and I will tell you. (It's not the one from my profile)
    What you are interested in learning: Simple/Advanced Scripting, Simple Mapping
    Timezone: Eastern Canada/United States
    What times you can be tutored: Everyday from 16 to 00 (midnight) and 10 to 13.
    Interests: Video Games (like many people actually), POKéMON Hacking (I REALLY want to hack a game correctly), Mega Man (X and Regular).

Thanks for the help, I will only accept one tutor (early bird gets the worm) and somebody that has the closest timezone to Eastern US/CAN.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back