• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rumble: yay or nay?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Title is self-explanitory. Do you like the rumble feature?

The "issue" of rumble comes and goes every so often and I've been seeing it a lot lately. (Mainly in regards to Kinect which has no physical response between the game and the player, which is a big argument for rumble.)

Myself? I can't stand rumble. :( I can never really explain why to people who like it but it just bothers me. I can't stand it and, given the option, I will always turn it off. Or use a controller that doesn't even offer the feature. I thought it was cool when I was a kid but now it's just an annoyance, imo.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    For me it depends on the game. I mean, in some games it's alright.
    But it absolutely bugs me in FPS games.
    It throws off my aim and concentration and makes it harder for me to hit stuff.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I like subtle or minimal rumble.

There are some games where I can sit the controller on the floor and all you hear is vrrrrrrrrrr because its rumbling for 10 seconds. Not a fan of that.

Rumbling in relation to cutscenes is stupid. But a little bit of feedback is you're hit or fall or something is okay.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I find rumble pointless sometimes. Actually most times. Like if you're playing an RPG, do you really need a rumble for a cut scene? Especially if you've seen it before and can't skip it?

I don't mind, say, in a racing game you feel a little rumble when you hit another vehicle or a barrier or something. It's a form of feedback, that's all. I like variance in the rumble, big rumble for big impact, small rumble for a slight skiff.

Overall though I don't care much for it and may often switch it off.

Years
    I dont think it is used in many of the games I play anymore, I love it in racing games as it makes them feel a bit more realistic.

But on penalties in Fifa.
    Rumble: yay or nay?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I've never been bothered at all by rumble. Maybe I just don't get out much or don't discuss little things like this with my friends (who are also gamers, of course), but I haven't seen any dislike of rumble from others, either, until this thread.

Of course, any feature of anything will have those that don't like it. For my purposes, though, it's never given me reason to consider disabling it. On the contrary, I don't really care that there isn't any rumble on say, an N64 game on Wii Virtual Console, when in the originals there would have been. I like the nice little 'umph' you feel when you smack into the ground, but at the same time, if it wasn't there, it doesn't really make much difference to me. I can see how it'd be irritating if your controller rumbled along with an alarm or something in a shooter, though. I guess I just don't play those kinds of games. :/

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It's terribly fun and relaxing if your game glitches and you're stuck on infinite rumble. My legs feel so great after that~

I don't really mind it otherwise though. My grip on the controller is good enough so that I don't screw up a command just because it rumbles a little.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I like rumble, but most games I don't pay any mind to it. If I'm playing a shooter then if it's there (truth be told... I'm not 100% sure on if it's there or not...) then I don't notice it. But I like it in racers, and... I think that's all the gametypes I have in my room right now. XD

But yea, I like rumble, I think it adds a little something extra to the game.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    If rumble is overbearing or seemingly constant, I can't stand it. However if it's well done and fits the scene or actions of the game and isn't overbearing, then I feel it creates another dimension of immersion into the game.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    If rumble is overbearing or seemingly constant, I can't stand it. However if it's well done and fits the scene or actions of the game and isn't overbearing, then I feel it creates another dimension of immersion into the game.
    Quoted for truth. I like rumble if it's done well.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I like rumble, but most games I don't pay any mind to it. If I'm playing a shooter then if it's there (truth be told... I'm not 100% sure on if it's there or not...) then I don't notice it. But I like it in racers, and... I think that's all the gametypes I have in my room right now. XD

But yea, I like rumble, I think it adds a little something extra to the game.
    I'm pretty sure rumble is in shooters, not that I'd remember, really, since I turn it off and never look back the moment I get a game. But I've seen arguments for rumble specifically over shooters. It'll usually rumble slightly when/if you get shot and it's a more tactile way to alert the player than health slowly going down or a minute screen flashing.

But I find it far too distracting for that to be a plus. :[

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I can live with rumble on some games but most of the time when im playing competitive fps games or an rpg I leave it off because it can be an annoying distraction.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate Kingdom Hearts' rumble feature. It's loud and obnoxious...or maybe that's just the PS2 controller, because the GameCube doesn't have such an annoying rumble. It's fine for those games, but PS2 rumble, I'll pass.

Years
    I think I'm so used to rumble feature, that even games that abuse it (looking right at you, FFX summons), I don't really notice that much anymore. It takes a long, constant rumble for me to even note it. So if a game has it I don't mind, even if, like said example, it's excessive. At this point it's basically background noise. I actually kind of like the massage it gives my hands.

It might help that I pretty much only play RPGs, and in those games, it's not distracting to me. *shrugs*

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    The only game I've played recently that has a lot of rumble is Tribes: Aerial Assault.

In that case, it actually helps it make it more realistic. If something explodes near you, or if you're using a chaingun, it's great.

Of course, I'm a chaingun maniac, so all I can feel is the rumble. :D

Back